Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Has anyone else tried last.fm promotions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2006, 08:03

Let me explain... You can upload albums to last.fm, and for a fee, they will play them to a certain number of listeners.  e.g. it costs £11.50 for one track to be played to 100 different people.

I've done this four times and it is a great way to get new listeners.  You can see how many people played the whole track and how many skipped it, how many loved the track and how many banned it.  This is a lot better than "this many people downloaded your track" that you'd get from traditional web site stats.

To determine who gets to hear your music, you choose several well-known artists that your music is similar to, and last.fm will play tracks to people who have one or more of these artists in their listener profile.  The drawback is that this isn't always that useful unless all of your tracks are in the same style.  Even harder is when your "similar artists" list write a lot of different styles too.  Moby is a particularly tricky one: very popular but very varied!

Has anyone else tried this?  Does this post encourage you to give it a go? :) Of course, some of you might prefer not to pay, but at least you KNOW people will hear your tracks - which is one difficulty I've had with posting tracks here.  Lots of views, quite a few downloads, but no comments.  Not that last.fm gives you comments either... but any way of putting your music out to new people is worth looking into, I reckon! :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
0 replies since June 11 2006, 08:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net