Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitars< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 08:23

How many have you owned, what's your favorite etc.

If this thread were to be expanded to include other instruments that would be cool.

Epiphone Les Paul 100
Squire Modified Telecaster (sold)
Floyd Rose something or other (sold)
And now a Gibson SG standard. :cool:

Samick acoustic
Manuel Rodriguez classical.
Profile PM 
Simon M Offline

Posted: June 11 2011, 09:41

I used to own a 1974 Stratocaster - but once it was old enough to be considered a 'collector's item', I decided it was mad to have a guitar that expensive just sitting around, so I sold it. It was a decent guitar, but I think people hype up the 1970's Fenders a bit - it was a good guitar, but not great.

I'm much happier with my current one - a 2006 Highway One Stratocaster, with Schaller locking tuners and Custom Shop '69 pickups (copper shielded, too).

I've also got a B.C. Rich Gunslinger on lay-by, which I'll be picking up in a few month's time.

One day, I'm going to get a Gibson SG (I'm not really a Les Paul fan, although I don't have anything against them; they're just not for me).
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 07:00

Ibanez XPT700
Vintage VS6 (SG copy)
Strat copy
Fender F-330-12 (12 string acoustic)
plus mandolin, ukulele etc. and my girlfriend's bass on semi-permanent loan

my strat copy was my first guitar (just over 10 years ago) and I haven't played it for years. Put some new strings on it the other day, it's actually a pretty fun guitar to play. Once I've picked up my pedals I'll try it through my amp again but I remember the singlecoils being pretty noisy.

The SG copy is constantly in drop C tuning. I was using this in my sludge band and it's just stayed in that tuning since.

The ibanez has a really nice neck and I use it mostly for recording, but unfortunately isn't balanced very well so I don't use it for much else at the moment :(

--------------
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=tsar.nathan
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 07:22

Jim Deacon steel string Acoustic was my first Guitar.

Currently I own an Admira Espana Classical Guitar.

Now I want another steel string acoustic.
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 07:31

Quote (Chicular @ June 14 2011, 07:22)
Jim Deacon steel string Acoustic was my first Guitar.

Currently I own an Admira Espana Classical Guitar.

Now I want another steel string acoustic.

I had an Admira classical guitar for a few years, but it wasn't actually mine, I was just borrowing it so I no longer have it :( Recently, I've been tempted to sell my 12 string to get a classical. Does anyone know which online stores (UK) are good fot classical acoustics?

--------------
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 08:42

I got my Classical Guitar from dolphin music.co.uk, you could try that as they have quite a wide range of Guitars.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 09:02

Quote (tsar.nathan @ June 14 2011, 07:00)
The SG copy is constantly in drop C tuning. I was using this in my sludge band and it's just stayed in that tuning since.

You were in a sludge band? Cool - you mean like a Sunn O))) kind of thing?
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 13:52

Godin Multiac Steel
Godin A8 mandolin
Seagull Artiste acoustic
Seagull Duo acoustic
Godin Artisan TC electric
2000 Custom Fender Strat 50's celebration
1982 Fender Strat built by me....with a Little Screamer on the bridge
12 String Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Mandola
Tocama acoustic mandolin
1895 Brewster 5 string banjo
Rickenbaker Bass
Martin acoustic bass copy
Gold Tone electric lap slide geetar.......Yeeee Haaaaa

Anybody Wanting a Guitar................Contact me.  :D
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 14:05

In order of highest quality:
1. 1989 high-end Takamine 6 string acoustic
2. Parker Fly-sadly departed....sold long ago, cherry and black, much like Mark Farner's.
3. Taylor 12 string acoustic. Much like Roger Hodgeson.
4. Fender Stratocaster-blonde. My fav. of them all. It sits by me now.
5. Ibanez Artcore blue with bigsby tremelo. A lot like Pat Metheny's but it seemed like light weak and cheap balsa wood. Sold without a tear. I learned I hate hollow body electrics. Bad balance.
6. Epiphone ES-335 wannabe. Sunburst with gold hardware that tarnished in 2 years. Sold without a tear long ago. My strat is my fav guitar, always will be, and my Takamine 1989 acoustic.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 15:40

Quote (dunlooser @ June 14 2011, 13:52)
12 String Les Paul

:O
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 15:57

Quote (Syd B @ June 14 2011, 09:02)
Quote (tsar.nathan @ June 14 2011, 07:00)

You were in a sludge band? Cool - you mean like a Sunn O))) kind of thing?

yeah, I'll find some mp3s when I get back to my own computer. A bit more up-tempo than Sunn o))) but still pretty crushing :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 17:41

My first guitar was a Kramer Aerostar ZX30, a strat copy with some super "features".  Remarkably horrible scratchy pickups which buzzed like an electricity sub-station.  A totally unusable trem which detuned every string if you so much as glanced at it the wrong way (the arm was swiftly removed and flung in a drawer).  Otherwise it played OK though and was adequate for me for a few years until it moved into its case when the kids came along.

About 8 years ago I took a notion to play again and bought a PRS Custom SE (couldn't justify the megabucks for a real one). Very happy with this one, has a nice range of tones from thin strat to fat les paul, well in my head it has anyway!

At about the same time I bought a Simon & Patrick SP6 acoustic which I find myself picking up more often than the PRS. Very happy with this one too.

I also have a bass which I can only describe as a plank of wood with cheesewire. It's the "Axis" model from those world renowned luthiers "Ninja".

Lastly, a no-name mandolin which my stubby fingers have difficulty fretting cleanly.

Not the most illustrious guitar purchases I have to confess! :D

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 09:04

Quote (Bag O'Secrets @ June 14 2011, 17:41)
A totally unusable trem which detuned every string if you so much as glanced at it the wrong way

I've been there, believe me.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 10:05

Oops, I forgot the Fender P-bass(bought around 2004). Black and white. I love it.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 10:24

Quote (Syd B @ June 15 2011, 15:04)
A totally unusable trem which detuned every string if you so much as glanced at it the wrong way

Yeh and me..........Jap Strat....and an Ibanez

I didn't mention the SG and the Telecaster Elite and a Washburn semi acc. All sold to pay the mortgage at various times. :(  :/
Profile PM 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 12:10

Quote (dunlooser @ June 16 2011, 15:24)
Quote (Syd B @ June 15 2011, 15:04)

Yeh and me..........Jap Strat....and an Ibanez

I think the main problem with the Kramer is the angled headstock, the strings deviate by about 30 degrees after they leave the nut!  I tried rubbing in graphite pencil lead and molybdenum grease to no avail.

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 27 2011, 16:35

I think it's actually a real shame how so few guitars come with a nicely set up tremolo (or should I be proper and call it vibrato?) unit. Perhaps that Kramer was beyond help, but I've come across loads which can benefit vastly from a bit of attention.

I got given a Yamaha Pacifica 012 (cheaper brother of the better known 112) a while ago - an Indonesian-made thing with a vintage Strat style vibrato. It had been sitting around for a few years, so needed various bits of setup work, but perhaps the most irritating thing was the trem setup - like most guitars in that price range (and, dare I say, a lot of them in higher ones too...), the spring tension was so high that all you could really do with it was push down hard to go between 'up' and 'down' positions.
The thing was that after a few minutes spent balancing it properly, it worked beautifully and made it a far more expressive guitar to play. Even with its rather evil budget machine heads, it held its tuning nicely (though of course it had a fairly straight string pull over its headstock...I suppose the crazy pointy ones are best left for when you've got a locking nut on there, though those bring their own forms of 'fun' with them). I gave it to another forum member once I had it all working nicely, though I was actually slightly tempted to keep it once I'd found out how nice it was to play after I'd worked on it!

You might assume they do that with the trem to make the tuning more stable, but if that's the theory behind it, I can only say it rarely works out in practice! Screwing it down completely would be a different matter, but then they don't go that far either. The five or so minutes saved probably knocks a few pounds/euros/dollars/etc off the price and I suppose few of the people who buy them actually care or even know that's not just how it's meant to be (certainly I'd been playing for a while before I realised).

It seems to me that there are some very decent instruments out there at very low prices nowadays, so it just seems a bit sad when their potential is throttled when a few minor details are skipped over...but then of course, often enough, the minor details are what you pay the serious money for (and if you pay serious money and they've still been overlooked, then you have a real problem! ).
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 20:36

I don't play guitar much - I'm mostly a keyboard player, though I play anything that makes a noise I like, from sitar to cello to ukelele...  But I have the following:

Hagstrom HC4 classical guitar

Fender Strat

Westfield acoustic (made in China but actually not bad at all)

Encore bass (very cheap but sounds pretty reasonable.  Not well balanced - has serious neck-dive problems, but still useable and quite enjoyable to play)

I'd really like an electric and an acoustic with a similar wide neck to the classical.  There are certain things I like to do where my fingers are just too big to clear the strings the way I need to.  I've also always liked the Gibson SG shape, so I may treat myself to at least an Epiphone SG at some point.

I know someone who has a classical guitar the same as one of Mike's, bought from the same place where Mike bought two different classicals a while ago.  It'll be a while before I get a chance to try that, but it should be an interesting experience.  My old Hagstrom will be completely outclassed.

Quote (tsar.nathan @ June 14 2011, 07:31)
Recently, I've been tempted to sell my 12 string to get a classical. Does anyone know which online stores (UK) are good for classical acoustics?

I personally wouldn't buy a guitar from an online place if at all possible. First of all they differ enough for it to be much better to play several and choose between them (I tried five Strats when I bought mine). And second, I wouldn't trust a classical guitar to the vicissitudes of a delivery company.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2011, 09:01

I thought I'd replied here, but strangely I didn't. :) Same as Sweep above here, I'm a pianist-keyboardist, but I love playing guitar. I've never played an electric up to very recently, when I went into a studio for the first time.

I have two acoustics, a Fender and a 12-string Yamaha. I often feel like buying an USA-made Strat because I love Mike O.'s clean Strat sound, but I'm not too sure about it.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
59Bassman Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2011, 07:23

I worked for Peter Gabriel in the mid-to-late 80's and promoted the use of Fairlight CMI lll around the UKs top producers, artists and studios as it was an instrumental part of his company.

I learned many interesting facts around the mythology of the Fairlight and other tricks and secrets of what actually goes on in the studio.

For instance on one trip to Air Studios to see how they were getting on with two new CMI lll's they had in their MIDI Suite, (£35,000 each!;) I was disappointed to find that they were unable to use them due to technical issues and were waiting for the engineer to arrive from Australia. So in mean time they were utilising a brand new technology - one of the first Atari 520ST's with Steinberg's PRO24 (later Cubase). There were mixing-down a new Dire Straits session with it. I was amazed and within a couple months I too had a similar setup at home, but I went for the 1040STf and added it to my Roland Juno and a MT32 - an outlay then of around £1600 compared to £35,000!

Later you could sample with the 1040 also. Mine now has 4Mb and is still a reliable and valued part of my studio...

http://musicsoftware.jimdo.com

--------------
Guitar Mad? Sanity is Here:
__
www.guitarorama.wordpress.com
Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since Mar. 23 2011, 08:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net