Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitar sounds< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 13 2000, 16:36

Two queries:
1. How was the distorted rhythum guitar sound echieved on 'Incantations' side 4 in the non vibraphone version of the sides main melody?
Was it just the sound of the chords bieng used?
2.Right at the beginning of TB side two are harmonics bieng played in the first riff?

Thank you in advance.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 12 2000, 16:11

jsamsworth...here's answers:

1) Distortion pedal + amp distortion + slight compression.

2) YES!!! Just plain, clear harmonics...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2000, 19:38

1. The rhythm guitar sound - Mike at the time was using a fairly complex chain of devices to get his guitar sound, including the overloaded input of a tape machine, a battery powered amplifier and, perhaps most importantly, two graphic equalisers. There's an interview somewhere on this site about it. He'll just have got that sound by pulling out certain frequencies (sounds like there's not much bass to it and he's probably taken out some areas of the midrange and high end) and plugging the output of his devices straight into the desk. I'd have thought the chain isn't quite as Ugo describes it, but I may be proved wrong - that combination would give more of a sustaining lead type sound.

2. Yes, those are harmonics, which I think are being played on a bass.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2000, 19:43

jsamsworth: I just noticed you've already seen a post where I mention that setup, so you'll know that already...
That will be the answer though - clever use of the equalisers, plus using a bit less gain than he does for the lead sound. It'll be the bridge pickup of his guitar as well.
Profile PM 
3 replies since June 13 2000, 16:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net