Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitar recording techniques.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
IAF Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 16:46

I was wondering if anyone has a technical breakdown of how Mike records his electric guitar tracks (from approx TBII era to present). I am currently experimenting with some home recording of my own on my spare time, and am looking for some tips on how to get a nice clean guitar sound. I am very inspired by how Mike's guitars have sounded on his latest recordings, and am looking towards this as a point of reference (e.g. does he mic an amp, plug direct into the board, types of processors used, etc). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, or if this info already exists somewhere on tubular.net, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Ian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 20:11

You might find bits of info dotted about in various places, mostly in interviews and things.

Some pointers though:

On most of his recent work, Mike's guitars have mostly (if not completely) been recorded by going direct into the mixing desk, via an effects unit. He uses mostly a Roland GP-8 (and GP-100) for this, although he's also ben using the VG-8 virtual guitar unit more recently (that of course effectively synthesises the sound, although because of the way it does it, the machine doesn't get defined as a synthesiser...).

The secret to getting that sound is, of course, to have a lot of very expensive equipment wink.

Some things to try, though:

Unless your soundcard, multitracker, mixer, etc, has a special guitar input, plug the guitar into a DI (direct inject) box or an effects unit with a line out - this is important as you'll lose the treble end of the guitar signal if you plug straight in to a line/mic input (unless you have an active guitar).

Experiment with pickup selections - a lot of Mike's recent work uses his strat's 'in between' positions for the clean sounds.

Record the guitar 'dry' and add the effects later - it'll give you more flexibility. Then, try different types of effect on it. There isn't usually a huge amount of effects on Mike guitar - just reverb and a compressor (unless it's distorted of course). The more adjustable parameters on the reverb unit (or plug in) the better. Mike would probably use a fairly long decay time, maybe even up to 4 seconds or so. A fairly bright reverb sound would be more in keeping with his style. You could also try light amounts of chorus.
Experiment a lot with compressors...for a really processed sound, try high ratios. Play around with the attack and release times as well...just play with everything really wink Eventually you'll hit on something interesting (I did this with an acoustic guitar recording and hit on that distinctive 'Tubular Bells' sound).

Personally, I usually prefer recording guitars via an amp - it seems to give the guitar a bit more life. Direct recording is worth experimenting with though - it can give some interesting results.

I hope this helps in some way...
Profile PM 
IAF Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2001, 20:05

Thanks, that's great advice and it even jives well with my recording options (minus, of course, the really expensive gear!). I am currently plugging direct through a couple of processors (a Boss SE-50 digital multi, NS-50 gate, and a Roland GR-7 preamp) via my soundcard to the hard drive. Although a simple setup, it does present some nice digital manipulation options when patched through my sequencing software. While I'm definately not trying to copy Mike's style, the guitar sound that he achieves I find is quite inspiring (its full and intruiging, but not over the top -- some of this I'm sure comes from his playing style?). Not to over-extend my curiosity, I would appreciate any other guitar recording tricks and tips (eq / fx settings etc.) that you may have. Thanks....Ian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 08 2001, 19:19

Recording tips and tricks...a wide ranging subject methinks wink

As far as EQ goes, I usually aim to use as little as possible, although that's usually a bit idealistic...The treble area on a distorted guitar sound is where all the 'fizz' is - a cut somewhere between 10 and 15kHz usually sorts that, although sometimes those frequencies can also be useful in the context of a mix, making the sound stick out a bit more. A boost around 1kHz gives it 'bite' and can make it more full at the same time. The low end of most sounds doesn't usually go below around 80Hz. For low end, a boost (or cut) a bit higher is more helpful - say somewhere between 100 and 300Hz.

Anything goes with effects really. I wouldn't tend to use too much of anything on a lead part, otherwise it can end up getting lost. A little bit of reverb is usually nice though and delays can fatten things up. From that comes an interesting little trick for recording rhythm guitar parts...Make a duplicate of the track, so that you have two identical rhythm parts. Pan them left and right. Then, pitch shift one slightly (and only by a few cents), and either put a delay on it (then set that so you have only one repeat, and all you hear is the delay - no original signal) or just shift it forwards or backwards by a few milliseconds. You end up with a big doubled 'chorused' type of sound. It's not really a substitute for double tracking, but it can make a nice effect. Now I mention it, double tracking is fun if you haveen't tried that already - record the same part several times, either playing it identically, or using slightly different chord voicings each time (like recording first with open chords, then playing barre chords the second time round, or using a capo). Playing chords with a capo at the 12th fret can be interesting...
The ultimate in Mike Oldfield effects is double speed guitar. I don't know if your software will be able to do this, but sometimes you find a half speed record mode, where whatever you record will play back at twice the speed and an octave up. This is slightly different to using pitch shift/time compression type things on it - those tend to sound really digitised if you use them for more than very subtle alterations in speed and pitch.

Basically just take a look at what's there and play with it to see what sounds you can make - you'll hit on something interesting eventually smile
Profile PM 
3 replies since Jan. 28 2001, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net