Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitar for sale - one careful owner< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 05 2004, 20:51

A Washburn Mirage Deluxe guitar owned by Mike Oldfield is currently for sale.

The guitar is in purple-red finish, and was used by Mike on the Discovery tour. It has been described to me as a 'semi acoustic', but I believe it's a solid bodied electroacoustic.

The guitar is coming directly from Mike, so authenticity is guaranteed - it will also come accompanied by a signed note of authenticity. The asking price is £500, UK buyers are preferred.

Updated Jul 9 Guitar sold to Hubert Razack. Photos and samples.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 05 2004, 20:56

For anyone curious, this site has some pictures of a Mirage Deluxe Classical which is for sale in Brazil - this is not the guitar of Mike's mentioned above, and I'm including it purely as a guide (though note that a steelstring model may be slightly different).

Please also note that the description 'one careful owner' is my own, and was meant to be humourous. As the guitar has been taken on tour and is 20 years old, it's likely that it's not in as-new condition!
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 06 2004, 17:09

Aah, too bad I cant play anything :/
Could be neat to have heh.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 09 2004, 18:31

Thank you Hubert for sharing your story and celebration music with us!

/ Johan
Profile PM 
hubert
Unregistered

Posted: July 10 2004, 07:22

You're welcome
I promise I will make good usage of the guitar  :)
stef
Unregistered

Posted: July 12 2004, 15:48

...he needs money or what...i don't understand why somebody like mike can find any reason for selling such a part of mhis musical life...as i don't think it's just to please an happy guitarist/fan ...
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 12 2004, 19:28

I don't want to diminish Hubert's purchase at all, but it was hardly Mike's most important guitar - rather, one he used as a spare on one tour in 1984. I don't think he played it very much after that, so I would imagine he sold it to get it out from under his feet! It's not the first guitar he's sold, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Profile PM 
MrRcorn
Unregistered

Posted: July 13 2004, 13:24

[B]Talk about throw a stick in the coggs,if someone wants to sell a guitar let them... If someone wants to Buy a guitar Let them....  
Dont Be nasty about it!!!
If I had the money i would buy it.
I don't want to diminish Hubert's purchase at all, but it was hardly Mike's most important guitar - rather, one he used as a spare on one tour in 1984
Doesnt matter when or how often it's who had it and what it is![B]
James not Jim
Unregistered

Posted: July 13 2004, 17:02

I was a little surprised Mike actually owned a Washburn (sorry Washburn) Though it certainly has a nice sound alright!!Nice piece and congrats on the purchase.

Now come on lets all be honest who would not wish to own such an item I hate this kind of petty jealousy I say good luck to the purchaser for getting there first and not beating about the bush with his wonga.

Hey Mike are you selling any old clothes huh give me a call.
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 13 2004, 20:55

I don't see any petty jealousy actually - I think that stef was just wondering why Mike would get rid of a loved instrument - some people do get very attached to them, after all. However, like I said, I think it was just a case of Mike not needing it and wanting the space. He clearly has a few which are very special, that he won't part with, but things like those used as mostly stage guitars and the like will often be less hard to part with (it's interesting to look at Eric Clapton though - he's just sold Blackie, his one-time favourite...perhaps if we tell Mike that, he can be persuaded to part with one of the SGs that I have my eye on... ;)).
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 14 2004, 03:26

Ha - I want the Marc Bolan Telecaster... and the Zemaitis acoustic bass... and...  :D
Profile PM 
James not Jim
Unregistered

Posted: July 14 2004, 04:58

My mail was not aimed at Stef though they make a valid point.Why should Mike sell something at this price level.

One reason maybe that Jeremy Parker owned the guitar Mike may have given it to him?Well who knows and who cares.

Im thrilled for the chap who bought it at such a modest price.

Remember if you should ever change those strings there's possible Mike DNA on them LOL!!!! :D

Yes Claptons recent guitar sale did fetch a lot of money.I doubt Mike would ever get anything like that sum for one of his most prized guitars but I do know which artist's axe I'd rather own.he he!!!!
hubert
Unregistered

Posted: July 14 2004, 06:09

Ok, just to stop all the speculations  :)

Jeremy Parker owned the guitar. It has been used on the Discovery tour as a spare guitar, and Mike gave it to Jeremy after the tour. Jeremy sold it because after all those years he wasn't using it.

There you go.
hayman
Unregistered

Posted: July 16 2004, 02:38

:(  :(  :(  :(  
mike needs to get his a$$ busy on some GOOD MUSIC.

this site is updated with the most USELESS nonsense...

we need real news

i'm a sixteen year old, most of you are double, triple, or quadruple that age. you got to experience the height of mike's fame, you were alive when hergest freaking ridge came out.

all i get is from like...discovery on..and i've only been able to really respect music for two or three years.
amarok's in there, but not much else of merit..
only mike "reinventing himself" by..um..to put it bluntly
ripping himself off

it's absolutly not fair. mike is not being fair to my generation. mike's gettin up there as far as age goes, and he's not going to live forever. he needs to write, and to write like he used to, 30 years ago. he has an amazing gift, paralleled by d amn near nothing and da mn near no one.

i never want another "tubular bells"
four is enough

i wouldnt mind a real ommadawn 2, or hr 2.

(sorry for all the ranting, but please try to understand the position in which i currently find myself!;)

so..and i've read that mike actually goes into the forums from time to time...so this is for him

GET UP OFF YOUR MILLIONAIRE BOOTY AND DO SOMETHING FOR THE PEOPLE WHO NEVER GOT TO BE HIPPIES.

there.
hmmph.
Oliver
Unregistered

Posted: July 26 2004, 13:37

hayman:
Sorry to mention, but that is more or less the same I feel sometimes. And I'm 25. This Tres Lunas and Millenium Bell ... things may have there nice parts, but I can't believe that there is not another (completely new!;) Ommadown or Amarok in my favourite musician.
Let's hope for the best. ;)

Greets.
Oliver.
14 replies since July 05 2004, 20:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net