Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitar, a sketch for Ray< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 16:18

I used this Googled image as a reference.

(PS: Yes, I know it's stringless, but the prospect of delineating six closely spaced wires was too daunting. I feel bad enough about the bent neck.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 16:33

WOW!

That is really Nice.  That deserves to be put in the Instruments page.  I think there are some pictures of Mike playing one in Berlin you could do one like that and then everyone will want you autograph, and camp out on doorsteps with new ideas for you (;)).

Cheers Ms Pea

Ray :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 16:34

Oh you just have to do the birds......go on - have a go!!

Ray   :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 13:25

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 16 2008, 16:33)
there are some pictures of Mike playing one in Berlin you could do one like that and then everyone will want you autograph, and camp out on doorsteps with new ideas for you

Would cheesecake be involved, perhaps?

Thanks, Ray, for the kind words. I'm a little stumped on "birds", though. Is that a weird Scots thing?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 07:01

Hi Sweetpea.Ref 'The Birds'.I believe the boird Ray mantioned refers to the fingerboard on the guitar you've drawn (very nicely it has to said).PRS Guitars who made the guitar have birds in flight inlaid in Mother Of Pearl down the fingerboard.Check out their website for more pics.Nice guitar but very very expensive (well out of my price range antway). :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 08:36

Yes - indeed the bird down the fret board - that are always the same - I can tell you what some of them are - like buzzard etc., but they are the thing that makes PRS's PRS's if you see what I mean.

:D  :D

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 08:43

And HUGE prices.I've tried a couple and i must say i wasn't that impressed.They are amazingly well made guitars and being a complete guitar nut i appreciate the quality and care that goes into them but they felt almost too perfect.Haven't tried the Hollow Body though.Maybe it's cos i'm a dyed in the wool Fender man who wishes he could afford to be a Gibson man!Mike gets his to sing though and Mr Santana gets a wonderful tone from his so who am i to critisize.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 14:03

So that's what those things on the frets are - birds! My sincere apologies to the Scots for my thoughtless allegation.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:58

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 15:59

:D  :D  :D

There are you birds!

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 16:21

When you see one bird,
There's another one watching over.
And the two can fly much higher.

:p
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 17:00

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 18 2008, 13:43)
And HUGE prices.I've tried a couple and i must say i wasn't that impressed.

Not so huge if you look out for a second hand one.  My favorite one is a 1997 second hand Hollowbody in fuddy green that you would look at only for 1 second if it were any other type of guitar.  It even has a wee crack or at lease a scratch near the control knobs - but When i played it it just felt so nice - better than anything i have played before.  The guy in the shop said they had had it for about 1 yr and were ready to take any offer so I halved what they were asking for and he said Outch I'll have to speak to the manager - but they went for it  - it had been a trade in against another one so I guess they had a big mark up - Anyway I now have one of the nicest PRS hollowbody's you can touch.  I later bought a new one with Piezio etc but the weight it adds is noticeable and it doesn't feel as nice as the used one - I think someone must have played it al;loot and smoooothed it out for me.  I have a few guitars, and several PRS's but this old PRS Hollow chap is my favorite.  The one I play Ommadawn in the dark on  :laugh:

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 01:06

Now that is pretty! Well done, Ray.

BTW, I've checked out the PRS site and, just like you guys said, those are pretty spiffy guitars - works of art, I'd say.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 09:15

And as i  said before Ray there's nothing at all wrong with playing Ommadawn in the dark.There's big bits i can't play so you win there mate.The debate could go on forever on PRS.Love em or hate em they are lovely to loook at.I love my Fender Strat though and am extremely happy with her (yes my guitars are named-3 after my daughters and one after my first love,soppy boy that i was).

--------------
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 16:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net