Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Group Project 2, Striking again while the iron is hot!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dbruce Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2003, 10:33

I'm in for the bass part in that case, if it's still open! What kind of timescale we talking here? Might be next weekend before I get a good go at recording anything.

Cheers
David
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 09 2003, 10:46

Well i'm not trying to rush this.. so maybe within the next two months?

and yes the bass part is still open...so your officially the bass player :P and thus ends the search for musicians :P

Now we need someone to mix this thing....Korgscrew ? :) :) :)

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
tommes Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2003, 11:07

sorry, but these are not the bass and git-notes I send to you.
I think this must overworked, because there are too much
wrong notes and there are too much which are not in the right
place.(03:49-05:05)
You used 6/8 bars with a 106 bpm.
I would say it is better to do it using 12/8 bars with
192 bpm/quarter note, so you have a better overview.
And there are some prob´s with the harmonics I think, maybe
this can help:
                        03:49 - 05:05
tempo 192
bar     12/8

dm          / dm          / dm          / dm
               am          / am          / am          / am   rep.2x

gitsolo    dm          /dm dm em em/C          /C  C  am  am

and so on...
I think these are the right chords.
                                                        tommes
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2003, 11:13

This was tempo-mapped by sir mustapha. I built the first guitar and synths around it and incorparated your second guitar and you bass into it...yes it went a bit wrong. we should at least try working around it or if Sir Mustapha hasn't got a problem with reprogramming the drums, i don't mind reprogramming synths and guitar.

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2003, 08:34

Great job on the drums, Sir Mustapha :) There's one thing though that stands out as not quite authentic. Maybe you realize this and the difference is intended, I'm just pointing it out: The rhythm on the ride cymbal (starting at 3:11ish) is too "swing-like" in my opinion. What you (seem to) have is this: |O--O-oO--O-o| What I hear in the original is this:|O-oO-oO-oO-o|.

I hope this helps. If I'm speaking out of turn, please let me know and I'll crawl back into the hole from whence I came ;)

Best regards,

Carsten Haese.

Edit: Just in case this is unclear, the 3:11 time index is relative to the beginning of the chosen clip, not relative to the whole song.
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2003, 08:38

Quote (Crises @ Nov. 04 2003, 10:34)
Update - all positions have been filled...

Aren't we still looking for a vocalist?
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2003, 11:11

That section 'crises crises' has not been confirmed. See how things go after making the first midi, it's a very likely option but i can't say for sure right now.

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2003, 12:46

With regards the "Crises, Crises" chorus/verse/whatever you want to call it, I think we should do it. Without it, the track runs under 2:25, and it seems to be fitting, since the whole thing's actually *called* Crises!!

On the whole I've got to grips with the bass part, and can go right up to the end of the chorus if we decide to.

Any advance on if we want to start it earlier too? Can't remember the time i'd suggested exactly - somewhere around the 2:30 mark?

David
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 05:45

Okay, well, I don't know if it will be really needed to reprogram the entire MIDI because of the 6/8 bars because, as far as the drums are concerned, the rhythms and the tempo are all accurate. We'll be using the MIDI just as a basis for the actual recordings, so I think it will take too much effort to convert the time signatures - it's not as trivial as it seems.

About the ride cymbals, yes, I realise that they are not 100% accurate in that part. I did, though, try to use the rhythm |O-oO-oO-oO-o| you showed me, and it sounded horrible! It sounded more like Italian music than rock. That shouldn't be a problem, though. When I record the drums into actual audio, I can fix all those subtleties. It's hard to do that with MIDI.

By the way, I'm still in favour of doing the vocal verses. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 10:10

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 11 2003, 05:45)
Okay, well, I don't know if it will be really needed to reprogram the entire MIDI because of the 6/8 bars because, as far as the drums are concerned, the rhythms and the tempo are all accurate. We'll be using the MIDI just as a basis for the actual recordings, so I think it will take too much effort to convert the time signatures - it's not as trivial as it seems.

About the ride cymbals, yes, I realise that they are not 100% accurate in that part. I did, though, try to use the rhythm |O-oO-oO-oO-o| you showed me, and it sounded horrible! It sounded more like Italian music than rock. That shouldn't be a problem, though. When I record the drums into actual audio, I can fix all those subtleties. It's hard to do that with MIDI.

By the way, I'm still in favour of doing the vocal verses. :)

This reminds me... Why did you choose the 6/8 and 9/8 signatures? I hear the clip as a straightforward (ternary) 4/4, with 3/4 in the bridge and ending. Not that it matters all that much to me, I'm just wondering. Also, the collaborators that record on top of the MIDI might like to add a metronome to keep time in the parts where the drums are sparse, and I'm not sure if the metronome for the 6/8 and 9/8 signatures is going to make a lot of sense.

As far as the ride cymbal goes, the rhythm I gave you is correct. Can you post the modified MIDI somewhere? It might not sound as horrible as you think; maybe you just got used to what your version sounds like, or maybe it sounds odd without the other instruments.

Best regards,

Carsten Haese.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 10:23

I know, I know. It is, indeed 4/4 and 3/4 in the song, but if I used these time signatures on the MIDI, I would have to use triplets to get the rhythm right. And, at least on Cakewalk, writing in triplets s**** a****. So I preferred to use the 6/8 signature (even if it's not the most correct, as Tommes pointed out earlier), to simplify the sequencing process. The rhythm of the ride cymbals you showed me are definitely the most correct, I know. It's just that MIDI produces some very odd effects, sometimes. I'll try to fix the cymbals during the recording process. MIDI is just too limited, anyway. Besides, we don't even know yet if we'll reach that part.

And yeah. maybe it was the lack of the other instruments that created the odd effect.

Crises, I gave a listen to the MIDI you posted, and I have a few comments to make. Firstly, you use two synth patches, right? Actually, I think it's a bit redundant to have two synth players, since they are playing the very same thing anyway. I'd use a Synth Brass patch to that synth. Also, if you listen closely, you'll see that there's an electric piano playing, too. It's most noticeably during the high pitched solo. I actually thought the synth 2 would be that piano.

Secondly, yeah, I do think that the guitars sound a little innaccurate. But I understand: that's a very quick and complicated melody, anyway, and it's hard to get. If you allow me, I could try to fix those parts in the MIDI file (I can't guarantee any results). I don't want to meddle with your work, but maybe I could give it a try - if you won't get upset. It won't be big modifications, anyway. The hardest part (that's laying down the notes) was already done, so all that's left is minor nitpicking.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 10:46

Go ahead  :D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 10:53

Thank you! :D I'll take a look at it tonight, when I'm home.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 11:47

great these group projects. I haven't been on this forum for a long time so I missed these group projects. I'm now seeing you all made a Finale, I didn't even know! :D

So, I know the places are taken for the 2nd, but if you need some (real) organ, synths or (real) bodhran sounds, let me know. ;)

Oh yeah by the way, you know what is a real challenge? Incantations part 1. There aren't many midi's on the internet made of Incan 1 and I've got the synthesizer for the flute sound! :D

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
dbruce Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 12:37

Can I just ask why we're putting so much emphasis on the MIDI sequencing? All we really need it for is so we can all keep in time, and if the guitar parts aren't right or the drum pattern's slightly different, it won't make a difference in the long run.

As far as I can hear, the MIDI's perfect for playing along and keeping time to.

And I've just noticed the piano after it being pointed out - so will we want someone for that now?

David
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 13:56

I think we need the MIDI also to know the actual melodies we're going to play. If each one just plays away what he thinks is the actual thing, we would have a helluva mess as the final result. Especially in this song, where the lines are quite hard to get, and there are lots of subtle things that need to be cleared out (the piano, for instance ;) ).

Weren't there two synth players enlisted? One of them can do the synth horns, and the other does the piano. Does everyone agree?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 15:37

I don't actually think that going the "make a synth like this" is the right way...
I want some freedom in my synth creation :P just some kind of obsession like the chimey noise on glockenspiel in the finale project lol

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 16:17

Yeah synth 2 can play the piano part....and yes booster feel free and be creative with your synth sounds but make sure they're in the same vein as the original synth sound and make it really in your face :)

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 19:41

I loved the glockenspiel sound and that chimey effect on Finale, Booster!!!!!! :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 01:32

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Nov. 12 2003, 01:41)
I loved the glockenspiel sound and that chimey effect on Finale, Booster!!!!!! :)

thx a lot :)

Crises: okie I will...I have already done synth programming and the sound is great ;) now I have to play it :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
105 replies since Nov. 04 2003, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net