Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Group Project?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 09 2003, 09:06

I think Bevy wanting to join in shows that maybe doing several versions with different people isn't such a bad idea (perhaps Bevy would like to co-ordinate a second version?).

Yes, I thought of that after I posted. By all means, go for it, Bevy.

And about the wrong notes on the MIDI. I was aware of those. And all my guitar tracks will have no effects on them. Except for distortion. However, I'm still perfecting my Oldfield-distortion sounds on my GT-6. A little harder than the 505II. I'll get it eventually, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 09:43

Damn what I really feared of came truth :(
I will redo the bells...but since I just upgraded to Reason 2.5 and my 3rd CD is scratched I have to return it to the shop...and try to sort that out somehow asap...

so pls bear with me :-/

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 

Posted: June 09 2003, 09:53

We don't got any time limits so don't sweat it ;)!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 11:22

Yeah, please no needless hurry! I got some trouble ordering my mike, so take your time!  ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 09 2003, 13:25

Indeed, there's no rush - I'm not going to have time to do anything until I've finished the production I'm working on at the moment, which will be a week or so. I might start a bit of preparation before then, but nothing mega.

Really BOOsTER, don't worry too much about it at all - by all means do the part again so that you're totally happy with it, and to get exact control over the timing, etc, but don't feel you have to, as it's very easy for me to correct (and I very much doubt that anyone would be able to spot the joins). Something you might like to try is using a range of different bell sounds that can be layered, so we can get a really huge sound.
I've got some samples of a TB2/3 type sound I put together if you'd like to try those (PM me if you're interested).
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2003, 04:05

Brandon,

If you want Spanish Guitar/Acoustic Guitar, please take it. I don't know how good of a sound I can get through a mic or through a stick-on pickup on my classical guitar. That, and you're definitely a better guitar player. Plus, I've been rather busy with other stuff as of late.

But please, I do like your other idea for a future project insofar as having us each do our own solo on our instrument of choice. I'd love to do that.

Khoa Tran

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 

Posted: June 10 2003, 21:26

Well man, besides the fact that I don't want to hog everything that requires guitars, I don't even own an acoustic guitar so it would be impossible :). If you can do it, dude, go ahead.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 01:20

What? between your 505II and your GT6, isn't there an acoustic guitar effect??  :cool:

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

thanks,

Khoa

p.s. As an electric guitar player, I'm basically a clean/overdrive/delay kind of guy, and I only own a delay pedal (overdrive is amp effect), which I really, really like, actually. But the prospect of getting multieffects unit has been appealing in the past -- I think I'm a tasteful enough player to keep from going crazy. Would you recommend hunting for a used 505 or 505II? What would I expect to pay for it.

p.p.s. I want to listen to your new tunes, but my Winamp 2.91 can't seem to handle Oggs for some reason... What ought I use?

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 

Posted: June 11 2003, 07:40

They do have acoustic simulators, but they're not that good at all. A friend of mine described it as simulating an electric acoustic guitar. It's basically just high treble and high bass. It works to a degree and can probably pass for people who don't know what they're listening to, but it would never pass for an acoustic lead sorta part like in Finale.

And a 505II is the best cheap multieffects pedal. Great for starting out. Not that your a beginniner. I wasn't either but I still got it and it's great. It cost me $169.95 CAD brand new. I do reccommend getting one. I got some fairly close Oldfield sounds with it. The clean sound was the hardest because it doesn't let you use as much compression as Mike uses, but the distortion sound was pretty easy. Get a 505II not a 505 because it's much easier to use and there are a couple new effects than the first 505.

As for playing oggs. Winamp 2 should be able to play them.....try downloading it again. If it still doesn't work (it really really should) then have a go at Winamp 3. I don't like Winamp 3, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 10:40

If you actually want someone else to do the acoustic guitars, I can always do them, but I'm rather conscious of the fact that I could easily end up doing everything, which isn't the idea at all!
What I can always do is add an '...introducing acoustic guitar' to your 'spanish guitar' to beef up the sound if you're concerned about it not sounding too good. A certain amount of tweaking of the sound can be done at the mix stage anyway. If you're able to record with both the mic and the pickup at the same time, recording the signals to separate tracks, that would give yet more options for working with it.

I've never yet heard a convincing simulated acoustic guitar, though the Line6 Variax gets close, sounding like an electro acoustic with a good pickup.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 16:26

Korgscrew:

Thanks... i'll try with both at the same time... but I don't think I can record them to two separate tracks since I only have one soundcard... unless I try recording to two computers at the same time... hmmm...

Also... unrelated to this topic, but I have a very cheap keyboard that I'm trying to get a decent piano sound out of. I know it may be asking much, but what sort of effects/eq-ing could I try to make it sound less "flat" and "cheap-keyboard-like?"

rgds,

Khoa Tran

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 11:08

A trick to use so you can record two things at once is to record in stereo and use something that can place one signal on the left and one on the right - as long as the signals are similar in level, you can use one of those splitter cables/adapters for that.
You could also use another device to record with, like you say - another computer would certainly work, but also something like a minidisc recorder would do the trick. You could also try a hifi-stereo video recorder, as the quality of those tends to be quite good (as Bevy will testify) and the speed ought to be fairly constant (though I can't guarantee that!).

Reverb might help to make your keyboard's piano sound slightly more easy on the ears, and you could try a bit of chorus as well. EQ might help, but I could only suggest to use your ears.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 13:56

ktran: if you need to get a beautifull sound ...get a sequencer which allows to load soundfonts (Akai...gigasampler) or whatever ;) and then use your keyboard just for midi-in...
when you play back use a soundfont to play it ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 07:56

Just a quick reminder that I need someone to convert the master MIDI to audio format for me. No need to hurry, just so it's not forgotten.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 18:09

It's ok, I've not forgotten, Holger :)

I've just been rather caught up in other things, hopefully things might change.

To be honest, though I've not compared the tempo of the MIDI to that of the original, I'd imagine you'd probably be ok recording along to that instead, as long as the tempo is constant (which might make TB2003 a better choice).
I'll get a copy of the MIDI file across to you as soon as I can, though.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 18:18

Thanks!  :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 18:30

In case it'll put BOOsTER's mind at ease, I've fixed the bells - maybe you can spot the joins, but I think it's probably good enough for rock and roll...
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 18:35

Coool Korgie ;) I always loved you :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 19 2003, 01:26

I've done a rough double speed guitar part. There are a couple things not quite right with it, but you'll get the idea. The other parts are just there as a guide (apart from the glockenspiel!).

I've also put BOOsTER's parts in place - it's sounding good, I look forward to hearing what everyone else has done.

I'll try and get round to doing the mandolin soon...
Profile PM 
BOOsTER
Unregistered

Posted: June 19 2003, 06:37

Cool :)

188 replies since May 31 2003, 12:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net