Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Group Project?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 04 2003, 14:37

that's not good...skilled guys will get opportunity to beat others...now we have beginners, intermediates and pros in the team for collaboration I would keep it this way...if you don't have anything against :)... I am only sincerelly so pls don't take it as offense ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 22:15

We could make multiple versions. That would be interesting. One version has what all we got now doing their parts, and a second version would have all different musicians doing what they want. Would be kinda cool. The same song but vastly different because of the musicians and the instruments.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 04 2003, 22:17

BTW, I like your sounds there, Booster! Especially Glockenspiel. Very nice sound :). The tubular bells sound kinda weak but that could be made better while mixing maybe....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 08:54

Thanks Brandon... Anal-og synthesis rules! :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 13:02

Good stuff BOOsTER
:D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 13:58

Thanks Crises ;)
though I don't really know if you laugh to my tracks or to "anal-og" synthesis :)
but well :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2003, 15:11

I'm not saying that we necessarily have to have a beginners track, and intermediates track and a 'pro' track - just that if lots of people want to join in, but they all want to do a particular part, I don't necessarily see any reason why a few different mixes can't be done with different parts taken care of by different people, or something like that.

To be honest though, I think it is better to stick with producing a single coordinated effort, as anything else could end up being a nighmare in one of many ways. Perhaps like Brandon suggests, people getting together another team later on would be the way forward.

On the subject of how sounds fit into the mix, how much are people happy with sounds being supplemented/altered (or even changed, if people want to just submit their parts as a MIDI performance together with relevant sample suggestions) in order to make them fit better into the mix?
My standard way of approaching it would be to make whatever tweaks seem necessary for the track and then consult with the person concerned to make sure they're ok with what I've done (then either accepting that or just taking it as a suggestion and making similar changes themselves)  - would people be offended by that approach in this context?

Also, is there a master MIDI file everyone's working to at the moment (I'm sure it's probably been mentioned and I've missed it)?
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2003, 15:23

Guys this is cool what you are doing .. you got a sample of the multi layered version yet?

would love 2 hear it :D

I dont know how midi works, but how do you all do layers and then stick them together?? how do u keep the tracks in time..

or is this easy when using midi?

please do tell..

Dave
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 15:51

@ Korgscrew: master midi is at: http://www.geocities.com/aragorn1928/Finale.mid

@ bevy: mostly the samples are already multi-layered if you use pure midi banks... Though I usually work with my own samples and I do layers with Awave Studio or Vienna
both create soundfonts... Sometimes I produce in reason creating sounds with FM synthesis (which adds a wave as a sample that can be modulated by other wave shape...basically) well basically if you want just a "midi" quality track it's quite easy to keep everything ok ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 16:08

Just so I understand this correctly: I was going to provide an audio track. I don't know how to, and do not want to make a MIDI track. After all, the whole fun for me is getting a good approximation of that incredibly lame reed & pipe thing  :p

(I decided in favour of the original version, after all - more fun  :D )
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 16:36

OK, I've programmed the sound, it's pretty close. But I can't seem to play that MIDI file (maybe my soundcard doesn't even have any MIDI sounds, I don't know, I never work with MIDI.) Can I use the original to indicate the tempo etc.? Or else, could someone provide the exact tempo of the MIDI file?
Profile PM 

Posted: June 05 2003, 19:29

Nono this isn't all an entire MIDI project. Crises is playing an actualy bass and I'm playing an actual guitar. The point is not to make another midi file, but a digital version with real instruments. So however you can get a good sound out of MIDI or something for sounding good and real (or maybe not even real but passable) that's what we're doing.

BTW, I don't know what all you could do with my tracks since it's all digital and I'll be doing the effects myself on my brand new BOSS GT-6 (will be getting tomorrow morning!!!! ). I'll be recording a couple different guitar tracks, though. You could take them and reverb them or delay them or stereo-ize them however you like.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 06 2003, 13:03

To answer more fully on how to keep everything together, it relies mostly on everyone playing along to the same guide track, so everyone's piece is in time with that.

That's no guarantee that everything will fit together, of course, and there are a couple of things that could go wrong here to stop things lining up properly (major ones being when the MIDI file plays back for someone at the wrong speed, or that for some reason the clock in a person's digital recording device runs at a different speed to the machine used in playback for the mixing - not common, but it's happened!). Neither of those are actually major problems as long as long as the timing difference isn't too huge.

Sticking them all together is then a case of taking each performance, giving it its own track, and lining them all up, using the MIDI file as a guide.

The best thing for Holger would be if someone could make an audio file of the MIDI sequence - I'll try and do it in the next couple days if nobody gets there before me.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 06 2003, 14:52

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 06 2003, 13:03)
The best thing for Holger would be if someone could make an audio file of the MIDI sequence - I'll try and do it in the next couple days if nobody gets there before me.

Yes, I thought of that, too. I'll probably need just the reed & pipe organ part though, right? So I don't have to download too much (to say it for the 100th time, my connection is super lame). Thanks in advance to you or whoever beats you to it  :D
Profile PM 

Posted: June 07 2003, 00:49

Well I have my pedal. Now it's just a matter of creating MO's sound and the rest should be a breeze...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
bevy Offline

Posted: June 07 2003, 22:07

Quote (BOOsTER @ June 05 2003, 15:51)
@ Korgscrew: master midi is at: http://www.geocities.com/aragorn1928/Finale.mid

@ bevy: mostly the samples are already multi-layered if you use pure midi banks... Though I usually work with my own samples and I do layers with Awave Studio or Vienna
both create soundfonts... Sometimes I produce in reason creating sounds with FM synthesis (which adds a wave as a sample that can be modulated by other wave shape...basically) well basically if you want just a "midi" quality track it's quite easy to keep everything ok ;)

thx's booster..hey lads can we do this  using guits ect?
I have a lot of web space so we can all up load there?? what dya think,,,   bagsey Bass : ))
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 06:44

upload base is already set-up to use at

http://www.rebirth.nd4spdworld.com/tbupload.php

--------------
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 15:43

I'm on bass.. look on the first page, i think there are a few instrumentalists needed

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 

Posted: June 08 2003, 16:22

Well Korgscrew nabbed the mandolin and double-speed guitars.....so the only things left are the background instruments.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 08:09

I think Bevy wanting to join in shows that maybe doing several versions with different people isn't such a bad idea (perhaps Bevy would like to co-ordinate a second version?).

I hope I'm not too late to point out that there are a couple parts where the MIDI file deviates from what Mike plays on the album, most crucially the underlying bass/guitar riff.

The sequence has it as E E E A B e e e D B B C# E - that third B should in fact be an A (E E E A B e e e D B A E). The same goes for when it moves up - when the riff moves up to the F#, the corresponding note should be changed from a C# to a B, and from an E to a D when it moves up to A.

It's probably a bit late to point out that there's at least one wrong note in the bells (right at the beginning where it plays E - A G# F# E G#, the last G# ought to be an E), but that's not actually much of a problem as a quick edit can sort that out (unless BOOsTER particularly wants to do the part again).

Also, before more people start recording parts, I should say that BOOsTER had the right idea in leaving off all the effects - you were probably all going to do that anyway, but I thought it was worth reminding, so we don't run into any problems!
Really, if you can keep the parts as untreated as possible, that makes it a lot easier to get everything to sit together in the mix, as it could end up a disaster if everyone puts on their own reverb, etc.
Obviously for parts like the distorted guitars, you're going to want to record with distortion - that's no problem! Things like chorus might be ok, but if you can do one version with the effect and one without to give a bit of choice, that'll be even better. Alternatively, if you're adding the effects via a mixer's aux send, you can always record the effects separately.
You can always provide suggested effects settings with the part - that could be the best way if you think the part benefits from a bit of digital delay or something like that, as it's likely I'll be able to duplicate that very easily (delay could be problematic otherwise, as what might sound great on its own can turn into an indistinct mess in a more complex mix, which would be really unfortunate if you've gone to a lot of trouble to record the part).
If you like to record with an analogue compressor/limiter to stop your recording device from overloading, that's fine, though it's best if any compression is kept really, really gentle, as it's much easier to add more than get rid of the effects of it being overdone - the same goes with stomp-box compressors for guitars and basses if anyone likes using those, they should be fine as long as you're sure that it's making an improvement to the sound and not just squashing the life out of it. I'd not recommend bothering with any digital compression (which even if it is built into a digital mixer, is going to be acting after the A-D stage and therefore isn't any different to adding it to the digital recording at the mix stage), as any dynamics processing done after recording is likely to be more of a hinderance than a help, though by all means provide a compressed and an uncompressed version, if you have a particularly distinctive sounding compressor that you think improves the sound of your part.

I think that's about all...
Profile PM 
188 replies since May 31 2003, 12:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net