Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Greetings from a newbie, Introducing myself< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Glen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 26 2009, 11:55

Warmest greetings everyone. Thought I'd take a minute or so to introduce myself to you fine people.

I'm Glen and I live in Kent, south east of England. Been a fan of Mike's since first hearing you-know-what many many years ago (I still think the continuous riff at the ending of side 1 is quite simply astonishing). Naturally I had to buy the album and I was blown apart by the fact that he (pretty much)played everything himself. Followed that up with all the usual suspects ('Hergest Ridge', Ommadawn', 'Incantations' etc) but I've never seen the man live - much to my regret.

I've been a gigging muso myself for over 30 years so very rarely had the chance to see anybody else play, let alone the main-man.

I'm 53 now so a little long in the tooth to still be doing solo gigs, but still manage a few here and there, playing guitar and singing to my own midi-file backing tracks. But my first love is and always will be songwriting.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist in the sense that my songs are the usual verse-chorus-middle 8 things, but hey-ho, that's how I write.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello to a lot of fellow Mike Oldfield fans and I hope my stay here is a long and happy one.

Thanks.

Glen.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 26 2009, 12:17

Hi there Glen, welcome to tubular.net.

What style of music is it you play/write? Do you ever try and cover any of Mikes material?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Glen Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 13:41

Hya Matt. No, I've never covered any of Mike's stuff, although some of the people on here did a fantastic version of the finale of side one on TB. It really is most impressive.
You can hear some of my stuff on www.soundclick.com/glenstephens if you want to have a listen.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 21:52

Welcome glen, your input will be most informative i am sure, have fun, lots of fellow musicians here, deb
Profile PM 
Glen Offline

Posted: June 27 2009, 05:45

Thanks Deb. Looking forward to meeting and greeting my fellow disciples :D .
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 28 2009, 10:19

Welcome to the forums, Glen!  You have some interesting tunes there on your website. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 28 2009, 16:03

;)  :) Didn't seen this post before tonight ! Welcome into Mike's world !
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 12:36

Welcome Glen!

I'm so envious you're in England. I'm in the USA and can only dream of traveling to your country someday soon. My best friend and I hope to take a trip to England maybe next year, with the explicit goal of walking on Hergest Ridge (and of course touring London!;)

Hope you have a grand time connecting with the rest of us MO fanatics!

Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 17 2009, 08:56

Hi Glen.Bit belated but welcome.Good to see yet another muso on here.
@HRFanUSA.Make sure you do more than just walk on Hergest Ridge and tour London while you're here.We are but a small island but there's tons to see and do here.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: July 19 2009, 11:19

welcome Glen
Profile PM 
9 replies since June 26 2009, 11:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net