Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Good\Bad guitarist< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 14 2005, 22:14

ah, a fellow canadian, with two of my biggest guitar influences, MO and Eric Johnson. I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Johnson play in a small venue last year in Buffalo. He makes mistakes live (which just shows that he's human), but his playing, style, sound, and humility are just all so inspiring.

My other big influences would probably be the Edge and Alex Lifeson, but yes, all guitarists who are less than appreciated for their creativity and abilities.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Soundgram Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 06:45

Did no-one here study guitar? There is just a simple reason other guitarplayers say he's crap. (I don't!;)

1. His technical playing is not right. He learned to play the guitar himselff, and so his technique is not as "good" guitarplayers play. I will not bother you with the technical stuff but its in the way he uses his hands :/

2. He is famous for his tubular bells theme, that is piano& bells!

3. The famous oldfield guitar sound is again something a rockplayer would not have come-up with.

I think mike sees himselff as a composer, and guitar is one of his instruments off choice.

--------------
More music on www.soundgram.com
More studio on www.quadruplo.nl
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 18 2005, 17:07

Quote (Soundgram @ May 16 2005, 11:45)
1. His technical playing is not right. He learned to play the guitar himselff, and so his technique is not as "good" guitarplayers play. I will not bother you with the technical stuff but its in the way he uses his hands :/

That goes for an awful lot of guitarists in 'popular' styles, though. I can think of a few rock players where I don't have to look to tell they're doing something 'wrong' - I can hear it. They're regarded as gods nevertheless...

So I'm not sure I know how "good" guitarists play really. Should Mike loosen his guitar straps so the guitars hang below his waist, perhaps? ;) That seems to be what most of the popular players do!

I think the reason lies more in your other two points. I don't think Mike is considered as a guitarist for long enough for many to even notice his technique - guitar magazines tend to make positive mention of his technique when they do run features on him.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 18 2005, 17:17

The idea that reviewers would be that snooty as to critize technical playing technique when they are hearing some of the best sound ever produced, really does make me despair. It really solidifies the arguement for me that you should always formulate your own opinion - perhaps inherantly why the 'in' crowd who - generally - follow each other like fish - will probably never hear of Mike's music.

God this makes me so angry, how people can be so obtuse and negatively opinionated about something when they probably can't back up their claims, especially when you only concentrate on any (potential) negative points and fail to recognise the good in something.

As far as I am concerned, if you can do something that impresses other people, you are good at doing it.

Mike plays guitar. He inspires enough people over the years to create this board - which sees quite a lot of traffic as fan boards go - is this evidence enough of how inspiring his music has been?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 18 2005, 17:19

I've been listening to old Yes a lot lately. The music is really great, but I don't really understand all the fuzz about Steve Howe's guitarplaying. It's not that fantastic. I've never understod what makes a great guitarist. The speed? The ability to mimic other styles?
I think Mike is one of the better lead guitar players around. Around the time of Ommadawn he had pretty much perefected his style, and there is not one "dead" note in his solos.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 04:54

Is it not true that Jimi Hendrix was self taught and he is regarded as a guitar legend!  And look at Noel Gallagher he frequently appears in top 100 lists yet he admits he's not that good.  He leaves all the hard stuff to the other Guitarist in Oasis "Gem".  But seen as how Gem is in the background alot he would not be recognised.  

I love watching Mike Oldfield play Guitar, his technique is definitely different to others i've seen but his playing looks more handsome than others!  Brian May for example.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 05:00

Quote (larstangmark @ May 19 2005, 06:19)
I've been listening to old Yes a lot lately. The music is really great, but I don't really understand all the fuzz about Steve Howe's guitarplaying. It's not that fantastic. I've never understod what makes a great guitarist. The speed? The ability to mimic other styles?

For me, it's the ability to play with feeling, with emotion. For me, Steve Howe has this ability, especially in his acoustic playing. Technical proficiency or speed don't come in to it in my view.

When I think of all the many pieces of Mike's guitar playing that provoke emotion in me, I come to the conclusion that he is my favourite guitarist of all time. Other guitarists may write pieces with just as much feeling as my favourite of Mike's solos, but only Mike consistantly gets me the full range of emotions.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 05:10

Quote (raven4x4x @ May 19 2005, 05:00)
For me, it's the ability to play with feeling, with emotion. For me, Steve Howe has this ability, especially in his acoustic playing. Technical proficiency or speed don't come in to it in my view.

The acoustic playing on Close to the Edge are great IMO, but the electric parts don't impress me much.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Elysium Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 15:50

Regarding Mike being a good guitarist of that there is no doubt, but is he an exceptional guitarist, say in the mold of John Mcglaughlin, or Richard Thompson? To be honest, I am not sure, but for the type of music he creates, he definitley is.
There are many good guitarists, but the exceptional ones, are fewer. Steve Hackett is one whom also never gets his dues, in either media press or album sales, but he his an exceptional guitarist, both technically and creatively, but he too, eschews to follow the market trends, creating music that comes from his heart, but technified by his head and his many years of playing. To watch Steve Hackett play the guitar solo from 'Firth of Fifth' is quite an experience, it's haunting and emotional.
Mike Oldfield is a musician of diversity and eclectism, and apart from the odd few superb solos (one that comes to mind is that from 'The Man In The Rain';), most of his guitar work is accentuative, but this requires a technical ability of extreme high standards, otherwise, the music loses its power to evoke the story or ambience in the listener's mind, and ultimately, this is the point about Mike's music and playing.
He is not a rocker, although he can no doubt turn his fingers to it when he wishes to do so, no, Mike is a teller of experiences, he evokes moods and intuitions and inner-journeys: he is a cerebral player. When he gets it wrong (and he has done so on a number of occasions) he is awful, but when he gets it right, my word, he can move you to tears.
Mike Oldfield is not 'new age', either, he is of all ages and eras. So is Mike a good/bad guitarist...you bet he is!

Best wishes

Elysium
Profile PM 
jmsoutkast Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 10:25

Hi all! New member, lifelong fan! Now on to the topic. First, I'm a metalhead (classic metal) and I love guitar. All kinds of guitar. I've heard them all and loved them all. I have too many cd's to count, too many guitar based bits of music to fathom. Quite simply put, Mike oldfield is the best I've ever heard. Arguably one of the greatest pure master guitar players the world has ever seen. Some of my friends have taken the time to give him a shot and ALL have agreed that he is simply amazing with a guitar. To those who think his primary instrument is piano/keyboard based, you are sadly mistaken. His first instrument and his instrument of choice is the guitar. Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful multi-instrumentalist, but his guitar playing truly shines like no other. Someday, as it happens with all great forgotten artists, Mike will get his due. Let's hope it happens while he's still around.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 01 2005, 22:14

Welcome, jmsoutkast!

FWIW, I was browsing through an old issue of Rolling Stone last week (I'm on the road, and can't remember the month/year) entitled "Guitar Gods," and quel surprise, Mike was not listed among them. (I wasn't a particular fan of RS before that piece.) I am clueless as to what constitutes a "guitar god," even after reading the article. Mike's guitar-playing reaches me at emotional and even spiritual levels that I've just not experienced much with other musical artists. Sections of TB, "First Excursion," "The Lake," "Enigmatism," Ommadawn, and many, many other MO works contain guitar-playing that has this effect on me. Then there are works like Amarok where he flies and I don't get how he is playing. Seems to me that a guitarist who has the ability to reach people emotionally/spiritually, improve the quality of their lives through music,  and can produce pieces like Amarok qualifies for a great guitarist in a pantheon of guitar players. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2005, 05:57

Hmm... seems to me the question would rather have to be: Mike Oldfield - good guitarist or evil guitarist?

:p
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 03 2005, 12:14

Hehe. Mmmm....and evil sounds like such fun. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 13:17

Quote (Soundgram @ May 16 2005, 06:45)

Replying to that, Jimi Hendrix, the man regarded as the greatest guitarist in living memory, i believe taught himself, and is also not a technically sound player (known to have played a right handed guitar flipped upside down without altering the strings to accomodate a left handed player), yet he inspired a new generation of guitar players. Surely you cannot say that Hendrix was a 'bad' guitarist? Look at other guitar legends like Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck.
I think each guitarists different way of playing makes their sound unique and in my mind brilliant.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 04:15

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Sep. 06 2005, 13:17)
Quote (Soundgram @ May 16 2005, 06:45)

Replying to that, Jimi Hendrix, the man regarded as the greatest guitarist in living memory, i believe taught himself, and is also not a technically sound player (known to have played a right handed guitar flipped upside down without altering the strings to accomodate a left handed player), yet he inspired a new generation of guitar players. Surely you cannot say that Hendrix was a 'bad' guitarist? Look at other guitar legends like Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck.
I think each guitarists different way of playing makes their sound unique and in my mind brilliant.

I totally agree.  People who put technique ahead of the sound that comes out and our emotional response to that sound are far too up their own ars*s in my opinion.  Put down the musicology textbooks and play your guitar, dammit!

:p

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 08:12

I've watched a lot of Mike Oldfields live performances and when it really matters, ie the Edinburgh Concert and Horse Guards parade, he is amazing.  However i have watched and heard Quite a few excerpts of his Then and Now tour and have noticed a few fluffs.  In particular, i've heard about three different excerpts of Summit Day wit mistakes and the mistakes he makes on that piece are perplexing because it is so easy to play.  I wonder if he just loses his concentration because it is so easy?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 14:29

Quote (Chicular @ Nov. 27 2006, 13:12)
I've watched a lot of Mike Oldfields live performances and when it really matters, ie the Edinburgh Concert and Horse Guards parade, he is amazing.  However i have watched and heard Quite a few excerpts of his Then and Now tour and have noticed a few fluffs.  In particular, i've heard about three different excerpts of Summit Day wit mistakes and the mistakes he makes on that piece are perplexing because it is so easy to play.  I wonder if he just loses his concentration because it is so easy?

for the then and now tour - I bet he was well out of practice - he was quite fat - so probably had been not doing much work!!! HA!

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 14:55

My brother is a good guitar player and he says that Mike songs and guitar playing a to difficult to play.
He said that i should not try to play Mike...
But either try to play other music..
Stupid him about saying that. Maybe he is afraid i will make it ha ha..
When i play while listening Mike i enjoy it very much..
I dont care what people say, because, Mike's guitar and feelings in his music inspire me very much and i try to hear what he do so special.
Like they way he plays spanish tunes and ect..
The flamenco style, or taurus 3.. very inspired..
Mike have learned me over long time. I have watched him and adored it. Now i will soon start in guitar school (or with a guitar teacher) dont know the word in eng.
I can play guitar and have done it since 2003, but i dont know any notes or anyting. So it is time to learn the basic stuff really he he..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 18:20

Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 27 2006, 19:55)
My brother is a good guitar player and he says that Mike songs and guitar playing a to difficult to play.
He said that i should not try to play Mike...
But either try to play other music..
Stupid him about saying that. Maybe he is afraid i will make it ha ha..
When i play while listening Mike i enjoy it very much..
I dont care what people say, because, Mike's guitar and feelings in his music inspire me very much and i try to hear what he do so special.
Like they way he plays spanish tunes and ect..
The flamenco style, or taurus 3.. very inspired..
Mike have learned me over long time. I have watched him and adored it. Now i will soon start in guitar school (or with a guitar teacher) dont know the word in eng.
I can play guitar and have done it since 2003, but i dont know any notes or anyting. So it is time to learn the basic stuff really he he..

Exactly!!!  I bought a bodhran and then a synthesiser and then a guitar in the 70's because I wanted to be able to play tubular bells guitar parts and synth bits.  I've been playing almost every day since, and I don't need to stand on a stage - I play for me and my kids like to be played too.

Like Tubularman - I play along to the real tracks  - often because Mike is the only other person anywhere near me who can play this stuff - and he does a pretty good backing track !! (Ha!;).

Actually - I play along with a friend Mark sometimes too - and he's pretty good at Oldfield jamming!!   We make lots of noise and have fun.  It's relaxing to do this in the evening.

I find I struggle to get a certain guitar part for a long time - then suddenly - wow - I get it and that's a good feeling.

Especially for someone with cloth ears.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 19:29

like i should say it Ray  ;)
It is funny and cool.
I take off when my neighbour (who hire) over me leave the house.
Over to Outcast!!!!!  :O  :laugh:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
146 replies since Jan. 08 2001, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net