Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Good album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2002, 18:01

I think Heavens Open is a very underrated Oldfield album as the songs are really very good,except Mr Shame.No Dream is excellent with a really good guitar and Make Make is also good.Music From The Balcony is simple but very erratic which I like in Mikes music.The live drums are a welcome back to his older rockier days.Its very quirky like Amarok.I love it!
Profile PM WEB 
ramon perez Offline

Posted: April 01 2003, 14:45

pour moi heavens open est l'album de Mike le moins
Profile PM 
ramon perez Offline

Posted: April 01 2003, 16:06

All the mike's opus contain very big moments and even heavens open that I consider nevertheless as is album by far the least interesting.I do not think necessarily of MFTB certainly of a concept close to that of Amarok but which does not restore completely the same magic.On the other hand,make make is a magnificent example of electro pop made a success with an irresistible tune and a Mike who shows a real talent(sorry!it is my opinion) of singer.No dream and his atmosphere very gospel it also excellent.Let us not forget Heavens open the piece titles particularly effective and hard-hitting.Gimme back is Mike's surprising rad in the reggae rather made a success.Only mister shame makes a little bit weak figure with a tune on the other hand openly infuriating and irrittating.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 14:13

Not just good- it great!
I just bought HO and now I have all the albums.
i had heard it before but didnt remember just how good it is!
Even my dorkymoshingheadbanging heavymetalfriends loved it. the Singing is so emotional. Im glad he did it when he had the chance, I mean that he propably could not do it anymore considering he didnt sound anything like that in the recent interviews, although he was only speaking and was a litlle ill maybe.
Music from the Balcony is great too and  some parts of it sound much more "trancey" than anything on L&S, nomatter how 1991 it may sound.
Simon Phillips`s output is once again cool and Im happy I bought this album today!
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 17:25

I think it's allright, but far from his worst or best in my opinion
I love the insults to his record company and its boss. Went right over their heads.
All in all, not a bad way to leave Virgin records behind.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 22:58

Quote (ramon perez @ April 01 2003, 14:45)
pour moi heavens open est l'album de Mike le moins

oui le moins quoi?

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 14:09

I'm completing my MO CD library and Heaven's Open seems to be one of the least favorite albums, so I was surprised to enjoy it on first listen. I've had the album on replay for the last couple of hours.

I was somewhat reminded of Bryan Ferry's late 80s and early 90s work (such as Bete Noir) while listening to "Make Make", and that's probably mostly due to the sound of the female backing singer(s), but also in some of the rhythms.

I understand that Mike has been openly critical of his singing. Now, my voice is pretty horrendous, but if *I* were making music, I'd insist on singing just for my pride's/ego's sake. I think it's a credit to MO that he has, more often than not, 'spared' his listeners. And I say 'spared' in quotes because I think he underrates himself - his singing on Heaven's Open sounds quite accomplished. But I'd have a hard time picking his voice, here, out of a line-up of other rocksingers, which may be a backhanded compliment, for that means it was neither poor nor particularly distinctive. It works well with the material, though, sounding both passionate and controlled.

My current favorite part: "Gimme Back"  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 10:29

I've always had a liking for Heavens Open, the album, it's just Mike trying new things as always, like the reggae thing, maybe not his best idea, but at least he is brave enough to give it a go, and not care what the record company think. Music From The Balcony has always been a weird track to me, it has some great moments, and some not so great, i have to be in the right mind frame to hear it, the production on the album is first class though, and the guitar solo on the track Heavens Open is classic, and that track is so powerful when you turn up the sound.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 17 2007, 11:37

I first heard the song Heaven's Open on Youtube and fell in love with it.  I thought Mike's singing voice was fantastic, despite what he himself has said about it, and I decided I had to get this album.
But now I've got it, I'm not too sure about it.
Of course I like Heaven's Open, though I think I prefer the version I first heard to the album version (however this might have something to do with the fact I keep getting laughed at when I sing along and get the words wrong! :/), and I do like No Dream.  Music from the Balcony is kinda weird, but in the same way that Amarok was weird the first couple of times I heard it and I'm addicted to that now.
It'll grow on me, I reckon.  Can't be expected to like everything instantly!
:)
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: July 17 2007, 18:45

Yes, I like Heaven's Open too. (I don't care what anyone says :p )
The title track is actually my favourite song of Mike's. I remember when I first heard it too. (On the Elements CD) I had to back it up and listen again!
I didn't used to be so fond of Music From The Balcony, but I recently had another listen (just for the hell of it) while out and about on my wanderings :) and now I like it quite a lot, so I'm glad I did!
So yeah, now there isn't one song on the album that I would skip...does that mean it's one of my favourite albums? Hmm, maybe... ;)

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 30 2007, 14:09

For the record... it's grown on me!  :D
Though if I listen to Heaven's Open (the song) much more, I think I might wear the music off the cd! (I actually now like it more than the version I first heard on Youtube)

I wouldn't say it's my favourite MO album, but then again my favourite changes depending on my mood and the time of day, so you never know
:cool:
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 30 2007, 20:38

i like all the songs on the album but not mftb  :p

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 01:17

Just had a listen for the first time, the last of the studio albums I have caught up with.

I enjoyed it, but for me, the songs were rather weak (apart from the title track and odd moments in the others), probably the obsession with Virgin which seems to shine through the first 4 tracks.  My Mike obsessed 13 year old daughter felt much the same.
Profile PM 
12 replies since June 10 2002, 18:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net