Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: GOLF MIKE OSCAR VICTOR JULIETTE, GMOVJ, WHAT'S THE MEANING?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SHINE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2003, 11:27

Hi everybody,

It's a long long time that I'm trying to get the meaning of this five letters heard in the song "FIVE MILES OUT".
if you look at the plane on the cover, you can read "GMOVJ", it's radio code, and in the song you can hear "this is Golf Mike Oscar Victor Juliette" ( G M O V J ).
Does anybody know if these letters have a meaning?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 27 2003, 09:39

The plane on the cover of my copy says G-APVJ...
I don't know a great deal about plane registrations, but the G stands for Great Britain. The other four letters are unique to each particular plane. The registration G-MOVJ has never existed as far as I can tell, while G-APVJ was once registered to a Hunting Percival P66 Pembroke aircraft, which isn't the one shown on the cover (that's a Beech 18...). From what I've read elsewhere, it was a Piper Navajo that Mike was flying in at the time of the incident which inspired Five Miles Out, so somewhere somebody's getting their planes very confused ;)
I'd guess that the registration on the cover painting was just made up by the artist (Gerald Coulson, an aviation artist who I think knows a thing or two about planes...). I'd also guess that G-MOVJ was picked because M is Mike, while MO could stand for Mike Oldfield...
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: April 27 2003, 15:59

Thanks for your answer,Korgscrew,
I was sure that in GMOVJ, MO meant Mike Oldfield but Ididn't know the meaning of the other letters.
You're right for the cover,I looked at it a bit fast...
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: April 29 2003, 15:06

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 27 2003, 15:39)
The plane on the cover of my copy says G-APVJ...

Korgscrew, don't you think it is G-AFVJ?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 30 2003, 10:35

No, otherwise I'd have said that ;)

But, if it did turn out to say that, G-AFVJ was a De Havilland Dragonfly, which again isn't what's pictured on the cover, so it wouldn't seem to be a significant registration.
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: May 05 2003, 13:04

G-MOVJ couldn't ever exist (the painter just invented it). Here's the reason why:

The ICAO civil registration prefix codes are used for stations (aircraft, ships etc) to designate their country of origin.

An aircraft's 'tail number' is formed by the registration prefix, followed by letters or numbers.

For example G is the prefix for Great Britain, N for the US, PH for Netherlands, SE for Sweden, OH for Finland, YR for Romania... See my user name? YR-TGM... that's a Romanian plane callsign (pronounced yankee romeo tango golf mike).

As you already know, G is for the UK (since 1929). Now some more detail about UK registrations...

G-Axxx is U.K. - including aircraft from Bahrein, Gibraltar, Kuwait (until 1961), Cyprus (until 1952), TransJordan (until 1946), Muscat and Oman (until 1973).

By 1972 this initial, very rigorously maintained block had reached G-AZZZ.

Since then more or less any 4 letter suffix is allowed within the range G-AAAA to G-ZZZZ. However (with a few exceptions) a previously used registration can't be reallocated.

In the early days of Concorde operations by British Airways,as a matter of convenience to satisfy the US authorities,who were reluctant to allow operation into the US of supersonic aircraft with non-US registration, the Concordes were registered both in the US and UK and carried the marks thus GN-94AC etc.

If we look deeper in the UK tail number structures, we can find out that the second letter does also have a meaning!

For example G-Gxxx for gliders, G-Ixxx for India (only until 1929) etc.

Ok, so what's the point? Well, we can easily find out that G-Mxxx registrations were/are used in the UK for ultralights (system full in 98).

As the Beech 18G isn't an ultralight, it can't have a tail number like G-Mxxx. So I can say for sure that this plane didn't exist.

Sorry if I disappointed someone...

:)
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 11:29

G-MOVJ is Mike's invention...am I right that the Beech could have  taken a G-Axxx registration (actually, I'll answer that - it could, I've even found one in the G-Apxx range)?

I'd assume the G-MOVJ registration could, however, be assigned to a Piper PA31 Navajo, which would tie in with the story that it was one of these aircraft which Mike was in when the incident occurred...mystery solved (sort of ;))?
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: May 06 2003, 15:20

No. As I said, G-Mxxx was assigned for microlights.

microlight = sort of a hang glider with a trike unit suspended; carries 1 or 2 people and the mass doesn't exceed 300 kg.

PA31 Navajo/Chieftain = commuter/executive aircraft, 6-8 seats, CAT II, mass (mtow) 3540 kg.

G-APVJ existed but it was a Handley Page Herald 201 and G-AFVJ was a deHavilland DH84 Dragonfly.
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 16:11

The UK Civil Aviation Authority's G-INFO database seems to disagree with you - to pick out a few, G-MDAS, G-MDRB and G-MOHS are or were registered to PA-31 aircraft. This is also the source which has G-APVJ assigned to a P66 Pembroke. Being the agency which handles the registration of aircraft in the UK, I'm trusting their records to be the most accurate (well...I guess we are talking about the government here, so maybe that's not so wise...  :p).
Profile PM 
YR-TGM
Unregistered

Posted: May 06 2003, 16:53

sorry, my mistake
the Handley Page Herald was G-APWJ and not G-APVJ.

you're right, seems that CATII/III planes were also registered as G-Mxxx as some exceptions.

Anyway, does it count? :)

Another infor for the MO fans: there was a Boeing 744 plane at Virgin Atlantic named 'Tubular Belle'. It's registration was G-VHOT.
Bones Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2004, 12:29

FMO was about Mike's escape from a large storm.  Perhaps G-MOVJ was the regestration of the plane he was in then...

apologies if someone already mentioned that.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2004, 14:38

Yes, actually :D

The plane G-MOVJ has never existed, according to Civil Aviation Authority records, that's what the rather anorakky discussion has been about!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2004, 20:34

:p and that's what the internet was invented for! Keep anorakking :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2004, 17:02

G=Gerald MO=MIKEY.V=Virgin Juliette=Shakespeare

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ralf Dvorak
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 20 2004, 15:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 29 2004, 14:38)
Yes, actually :D

The plane G-MOVJ has never existed, according to Civil Aviation Authority records, that's what the rather anorakky discussion has been about!

he, "a" plane "registered" G-MOVJ has existed, I built a model with that registration... ;)
I designed several other models named after mikes' songs, there was a "North Point" and a "Discovery"...
cheers, RD

www.rd-jets.de
14 replies since April 26 2003, 11:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net