Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Going to the source, Kington< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 10:06

Hi.Been thinking about where to go on my holidays this year.I tend to go to places where i can get out and walk.So i have decided to check out Herefordshire.Haven't been since i was a kid so thought that's for me.Naturally for an Oldfield nut i instantly thought of Kington.Been there before and walked on Hergest Ridge,but years ago when i was in my teens.
 My Question is.......if i go up to Radnor Hill how esy is it to see The Beacon?I see from the avatar that Moonchildhippy has been there.Anyone else?
 Check out the Kington website.The picture from the golfcourse gives an idea of the view form the Beacon as it's just up the hill according to Mike.Stunning stuff!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 13:37

It´s just across the road from the golf course, maybe a little hidden. Have a look at Google Earth. I think you might see it in there.

I´d suggest you drop by at Penrhos Court for a nice meal and say hello to Martin Griffiths.

:p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 14:02

Is he still there?Wow.And the kids may sing 'On Horseback'.Or maybe not.Thanks man!

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 17:39

But the Beacon is not a private house so I dont thin k you can stay there any more.  If you go down the hil from the golf course and come to the path marked Offa's dyke you can wealk back along the path under the front window ob the Beacon - jusr keep walking it's great to go all the way up the hill especially if it is sunny and windy!!  If you look to your left when doing this you will see Hergest Ridge.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 18:02

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 13 2008, 20:02)
Is he still there?Wow.And the kids may sing 'On Horseback'.Or maybe not.Thanks man!

Penrhos Court

:laugh:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 07:56

I've decided to stay at Hergest Mill (it's cheap at £35 a night).I just need to figure out when my bonus is due and hey and away we go.I cannot wait.Thanks for thje info guys,and i think a light meal at Penrhos is definately in order.I love the bits in the Karl Dallas interview and Changeling about it so it'll be grand to go there.It's a helluva lot bigger than i imagined!

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 18:43

I've been there a few times, although I'm more interested in Hergest Ridge itself. I went in the summer last year. Think I posted some pictures. Do spend time there, and absorb some of it's magic. The whole area is quiet and peaceful and unassuming. Have a great time! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 06:56

Thanks Bee.I am really looking forward to it.I'm looking at going early July.As i mentioned elsewhere i saw a clip of Mike at work in The Beacon.The studio appears larger than the pictures i'd seen led me to believe.
 I will,of course,be yomping up Hergest Ridge as well as Radnor Hill.Fresh air,hills and a lot of westerly breezes.Perfection. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:30

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 13 2008, 14:06)
Hi.Been thinking about where to go on my holidays this year.I tend to go to places where i can get out and walk.So i have decided to check out Herefordshire.Haven't been since i was a kid so thought that's for me.Naturally for an Oldfield nut i instantly thought of Kington.Been there before and walked on Hergest Ridge,but years ago when i was in my teens.
 My Question is.......if i go up to Radnor Hill how esy is it to see The Beacon?I see from the avatar that Moonchildhippy has been there.Anyone else?
 Check out the Kington website.The picture from the golfcourse gives an idea of the view form the Beacon as it's just up the hill according to Mike.Stunning stuff!!!

The Beacon is easy to see fron Bradnor Hill, if you're going by car (reccommendedas public transport can be a bit patchy in the area especially on a Sundayor in the evenings) , you can drive up a single track road up to The Beacon. makes me wonder now Mike managed to get a grand piano up there:/.  Oh yes have to revisit Kington area as soon as I can. The golf course is just above The Beacon .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 09:53

Restricted to public transport i'm afriad.But certainly no adverse to a good long walk to see the Beacon and a hell of a long walk on Hergest Ridge.
 You never know i might find myself with a walking tune or 2.That's where Ommadawn came freom
  :laugh: I can wish.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 04 2008, 21:14

Just finding this topic, oops! I hiked Hergest Ridge several years ago on a day in December that spit freezing mist. We drove up the hill to the Beacon but didn't stay there. In 2005, I took the kids on a driving tour of parts of the UK and we stayed at the Beacon for a couple of nights but didn't hike the Ridge. It was a bit drizzly that June day, and while I'd not have minded, the kids would have complained every step of the way. This fall, we would like to plan an outing for the Kington area, which would include a hike up and along the Ridge and down the otherside to a pub. Re: the grand piano--didn't they pull it up the hillside? Reminds me of the bloodstone that never quite made it to Sacsaywaman (Waka Pacha Mama, etc.), sliding back down the hill and crushing to death lots of the men attempting to get it up the steep terrain. Kinda scary pulling/pushing heavy things uphill, though the bloodstone weighed a bit more than a grand piano.  :/

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 01:40

Quote (Inkanta @ June 05 2008, 03:14)
Re: the grand piano--didn't they pull it up the hillside?

Not only the piano but the mixing desk too!

Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 10:14

What a way to go.  To be mixed to death...

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 10:52

My Grandfather very nearly was Bassman mate!Instead the (cement) mixer only took his right leg off!True story.
 I still hope to get up to Kington later this year.Finances aren't too grand at the moment (they never are)but it's still something i aim to do.Even more so now i saw the bit on YouTube from All You Need Is Love (payday present i think....i must have that DVD).It looks stunning! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 15:43

OMG.  Took his leg?

:O
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 08 2008, 20:15

Quote (Inkanta @ June 05 2008, 01:14)
Just finding this topic, oops! I hiked Hergest Ridge several years ago on a day in December that spit freezing mist. We drove up the hill to the Beacon but didn't stay there. In 2005, I took the kids on a driving tour of parts of the UK and we stayed at the Beacon for a couple of nights but didn't hike the Ridge. It was a bit drizzly that June day, and while I'd not have minded, the kids would have complained every step of the way. This fall, we would like to plan an outing for the Kington area, which would include a hike up and along the Ridge and down the otherside to a pub. Re: the grand piano--didn't they pull it up the hillside? Reminds me of the bloodstone that never quite made it to Sacsaywaman (Waka Pacha Mama, etc.), sliding back down the hill and crushing to death lots of the men attempting to get it up the steep terrain. Kinda scary pulling/pushing heavy things uphill, though the bloodstone weighed a bit more than a grand piano.  :/

Seeing this thread has made me want to go to Kington again, but i'm currently in a similar situation to The Caveman as regards finances :O .  I know things will get better once I've taxed an MOT'eed my car, that's providing Greedy Grabber Gordon doesn't keep taxing us to the hilt with petrol/diesel duty  FFS!!! Ther's a limit as to how much British citizens can take .
Meanwhile I'll have to make do with being transported to Kington with the music and pictures, going there really brought Hergest Ridge to life in the earth as so to speak :)  :D .

Speaking of weird goings on  there's a legend "Black Vaughan" , a Lord who lived at Hergest Croft and his black dog, and an Exorcism see here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/features/2004/04/hound.shtml

However the black dogs I did see in and around Kington were all friendly labradors  :cool: , I didn't feel any fear walking up The Ridge of an evening and coming back down as dusk fell:D

A Herefordshire author and a historian believe that the legend of Black Vaughan inspired The Hound Of The Baskervilles (see link above).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 09 2008, 19:36

Quote (moonchildhippy @ June 08 2008, 19:15)

Seeing this thread has made me want to go to Kington again, but i'm currently in a similar situation to The Caveman as regards finances :O .  I know things will get better once I've taxed an MOT'eed my car, that's providing Greedy Grabber Gordon doesn't keep taxing us to the hilt with petrol/diesel duty  FFS!!! Ther's a limit as to how much British citizens can take .
Meanwhile I'll have to make do with being transported to Kington with the music and pictures, going there really brought Hergest Ridge to life in the earth as so to speak :)  :D .

Speaking of weird goings on  there's a legend "Black Vaughan" , a Lord who lived at Hergest Croft and his black dog, and an Exorcism see here

However the black dogs I did see in and around Kington were all friendly labradors  :cool: , I didn't feel any fear walking up The Ridge of an evening and coming back down as dusk fell:D

A Herefordshire author and a historian believe that the legend of Black Vaughan inspired The Hound Of The Baskervilles (see link above).

That's pretty much the story we were told in Kington by our host, but I think he also said that Lord Vaughan's spirit is now trapped in a box, which lays beneath the whetstone on  Hergest Ridge. The ghost dog continues to roam the Ridge in search of his master, and apparently if you see the dog, you're not long for this world.  The Hound of the Baskervilles may have based on this, indeed. BTW, the day that we arrived in Kington, one of the Baskerville descendants had been run over by a train.

We didn't see *the* dog either, but instead a man was running two black dogs. It was just after Mr. Bush was elected for the second time. The man's son had married a woman from the USA and was living in Michigan, one of the blue states that hadn't voted for him. We commiserated about the election results, and I told him that some of us worked very hard to get the other guy elected, and his response was, "Well, you didn't work hard enough, did you?"  Hmm. If only someone could have exorcised Bush. :D  But (getting back to HR)....you know? To me, the place feels so spiritual, and it is all good.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 10 2008, 04:59

Quote (Inkanta @ June 09 2008, 23:36)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ June 08 2008, 19:15)

That's pretty much the story we were told in Kington by our host, but I think he also said that Lord Vaughan's spirit is now trapped in a box, which lays beneath the whetstone on  Hergest Ridge. The ghost dog continues to roam the Ridge in search of his master, and apparently if you see the dog, you're not long for this world.  The Hound of the Baskervilles may have based on this, indeed. BTW, the day that we arrived in Kington, one of the Baskerville descendants had been run over by a train.

We didn't see *the* dog either, but instead a man was running two black dogs. It was just after Mr. Bush was elected for the second time. The man's son had married a woman from the USA and was living in Michigan, one of the blue states that hadn't voted for him. We commiserated about the election results, and I told him that some of us worked very hard to get the other guy elected, and his response was, "Well, you didn't work hard enough, did you?"  Hmm. If only someone could have exorcised Bush. :D  But (getting back to HR)....you know? To me, the place feels so spiritual, and it is all good.

Speaking of exorcising Bush!!!!

OUT DEMONS OUT!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdSaV_t2Ts :cool: :D  , it's a track I play often if I feel something needs exorcising.

Yep I must agree about Hergest Ridge being a very spiritual place, so peaceful and tranquil despite of the Black Shuck  legend , shuck being an East Anglian term for these spirits.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 11 2008, 02:48

@Bassman:Yep right below his right knee in 1936.He was 17 and working on a building site in Wales.Fell off a wall and his leg went into the cement mixer.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 11 2008, 23:13

God, that's horrible!  Sure hope he wasn't plagued by that kind of luck after that.
Profile PM 
22 replies since Mar. 13 2008, 10:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net