Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Glass Harmonica< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 04:16

I've just found out that the 'wine glasses' that were played at the TB3 concert are an instrument called a Glass Harmonica. I saw Alistair Malloy play them on David Gilmour's new cd. There are 2 different types of Glass Harmonica. I saw them on a short programmme about David Gilmour on 4Play on Channel 4
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 05:18

You might also find this link interesting,it tells the origins of the instrument . First,sound by using actual wine glasses & then came Benjamin Franklin's Glass Armonica. here
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 13:28

I don't think Alistair or Alasdair (I forget which) is really playing them on the TB3 concert. Just like the 10m high tubes that Mike bashes in FATC, they are for more for show.

For the wine glasses to really work live and play the pad sound, they'd have to be heavily amplified and connected to a pitch to midi convertor going into a synth. I doubt the tracking would work well enough.

However, it does make you think. Was there someone else behind the stage actually playing the keyboards?
Profile PM 
TonyBanjo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 14:58

I use Garritan Personal Orchestra for superb samples in my recordings and there is an actual sampled Glass Harmonica.

Can't say I've ever used it but maybe it's time to experiment.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 15:05

I only recently found out too that Gilmour used them too!!

I remember how surprised I was when I saw the TB3 video for the first time!!

:)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 13:28

Quote (Jammer @ Mar. 27 2006, 18:28)
I don't think Alistair or Alasdair (I forget which) is really playing them on the TB3 concert. Just like the 10m high tubes that Mike bashes in FATC, they are for more for show.

For the wine glasses to really work live and play the pad sound, they'd have to be heavily amplified and connected to a pitch to midi convertor going into a synth. I doubt the tracking would work well enough.

They wouldn't bother with pitch tracking a glass harmonica to play a synth pad, but it's not impossible that the glass harmonica was a mixed in with a keyboard for the sound. Unlikely, but not impossible.

In the same way, the huge bells might be mixed in with the other tubular bells and/or synths.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Mar. 27 2006, 04:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net