Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Gibson L6-S Custom< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 28 2005, 06:05

I've just seen a new massive book on guitars, sorry, but I can't remember the title! It had an article and photo of Al Di Meola with a Gibson L6-S Custom. It has a middle control as well as treble control. It's supposed to give Fender like sounds as well as fat Gibson sounds.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 05:31

Check these photos out - Custom, as used by Santana, has 3 knobs and a selector knob, the Deluxe has 3 knobs and a switch. If you magnify the wiring photo, it says what the selector knob's 6 positions do.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?....+Images
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2005, 04:37

Just had a reply from Tom Johnson from the Doobie Brothers, who has/had an L6-S Custom!

>>Hi Dave,
>>I haven't found any model of PRS that sounds similar to the L6-S or
>>the any other model of Gibson solid body. PRS has a very different
>>set of pick-up selections that are unique to their products only.
>>So it really depends on the sound you're looking for. PRE or
>>Gibson?
>>
>>Tom J
>>
>>
>>>  >X-Originating-IP: [64.4.56.208]
>>>  >X-Originating-Email: [davepost2@hotmail.com]
>>  > >From: "David Mar" <davepost2@hotmail.com>
>>>  >To: doobiemail@earthlink.net
>>>  >Subject: Tom Johnson - Gibson L6-S vs PRS
>>>  >Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:03:23 +0000
>>>  >X-ELNK-AV: 0
>>>  >
>>>  >Hi Tom,
>>>  >
>>>  >I was wondering if the L6-S has the same sounds as the PRS? If
>>>so,
>>>  >which series, parallel and in or out of phase sounds are the
>>>same?
>>>  >
>>>  >Best wishes,
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 05:16

Does anyone own an L6-S Custom? If so, can you please do a demo of the various pickup settings, and maybe identify which ones were used on various solos?
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 05:10

I've read somewhere Mike said that he still owns his Knebworth L6-S with the metal plates, but he doesn't use it anymore! Shame!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 15:11

Hi David,

nice to meet you again on here on the board (Beacon convention 1991).

I don´t think Mike still owns his L-6S for I haven´t seen any recent pictures for ages. Looks like he sold it in the early eighties. That was the last time I saw him use this axe.

But I cannot help but thinking there was a similar sound on Heaven´s Open during Music From The Balcony (14:35 to 14:45).

Am I wrong?
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 23:45

Heavens open's solo bits are PRS all the way! They are one of the only guitars around that have that "quack"
As far as the L6S wiring diagram goes I have a flow diagram of one.
They used phase and series/parallel options between the pickups although the pickups themselves had no coil tapping. It was a way of getting many different sounds with a minimum of production costs or fuss. I would also assume that the L6S would have a harder/less resonant sound than the PRS due to it's all maple construction over the PRS mahogany/maple build.
70s gibson pickups can sound a bit cold too (due to ceramic magnets) I read somwhere that Mike never really liked the stock L6S pickups and it is somthing to note that the Knebworth guitar has aftermarket pickups (they look like early passive EMGs)
On the other hand the Prs custom has one Alnico magnet pickup (neck) and one very carefully wound ceramic pickup (bridge) called a HFS "Hot Fat and Screams" and it is an accurate description.
But again its horses for courses I guess....
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 04:55

I've read somewhere Mike said that he still owns his Knebworth L6-S with the metal plates, but he doesn't use it anymore! Shame![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how old that interview was, but he said it remained hanging up on the wall.

The last time I saw it was in the 'Faith & Music' interview!
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 15 2006, 16:35

Hi

I play a gibson L6-S Deluxe - which is the model without the 6 way selector i just have a neat three way selector - the guitar does still have the plastic coveed pickups however.

Is this of interest?

I love it, i bought it inspired by the incantations\exposed\platinum sounds and ive never looked back. I love the way it plays and sounds.

Jon
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: April 22 2006, 06:03

Plastic covered pickups you say!
most L6s guitars seem to have the metal covered super humbucker, but now that you mention it I have seen a few with the plastic covers, I wonder if it was the Lawrence designed pickup with a plastic cover or somthing different....
It's been a long time since I played an L6S I'd like to hear (and feel) one again sometime..
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 28 2005, 06:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net