Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Gibson L6 and L5, Discussion about these two guitars< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 26 2006, 16:49

has any one got a Gibson L6 or L5, Mr Oldfield played an L-6 for the exposed concert In seem to remember (and have seen recently on this board somewhere)

I was just wondering what the sound difference is.  I know the L5 is the custom version but perhaps there is more.  I have borrowed an L-5 from a friend but they are pretty rare (well for sale on Ebay and the rest of the web they are) but I have seen more L6-s's.

I know the theory about the wood difference etc, but has any one played both types of guitar and have any comments.

Incidentally the L5 i have borrowed, when put through a Mesa Mark3 and a couple of effect pedals sounds remarkable like some of Mr Oldfields sounds, but you have to turn the volume control knobs to very low and the amp to very low to get it.  

On the mesa MK3 you can set the volume to No2 and it's still too loud so no problems with Volume then....!

Interesting to hear anyones contructive comments.

Cheers

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2006, 04:39

As far as I'm aware, Mike has never played an L-5, it's a semi-solid guitar.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2006, 15:28

David,

The L5 CES is hollowbody, but the L-5s custom is a facy version of the L-6,  as used by mike for thr exposed concert.  It is the solid body version of the L5 CES and very different - you can look it up on the Gibson web pages.

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 04:07

Mike used an L6S deluxe during the exposed concert, and I did not see where he used an L5S custom.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 05:51

"Well, I've got a Gibson L-5 electric ..."

(Mike Oldfield, Guitar Player 1978)

I cannot see that Ray mentioned Mike playing the L-5 although he once said he had one.

As far as I can tell that Guitar is the L6-S Deluxe used during his first tour in 1979. It was customized by Tony Zemaitis in 1980 with a metal scratchboard which you can see in the Knebworth concert (The Essential).

;)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 13:19

The L5 and L6 appear to be the same shape.  Is the L6 a cheaper version of the L5?

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
5 replies since Oct. 26 2006, 16:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net