Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: German speech in Amarok< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel101 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2000, 11:38

Hi folks,

Amarok is my favourite album and during the very many listenings I recognized a small bit in the chattering right before the final climax.

There's someone who says: "Gib mir mal 'n Bierglas rueber" which is German and means "Give me a glass of beer". Does anybody hear this sentence too ? I'm not kidding, it's really there ... (perhaps Otto, one of the MCs of The Bell Single ;-)

Bye,

Michael
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 19 2000, 16:59

Hi Sentinel101,
1) Your translation is not quite correct. The phrase means "Give me an [empty] beer glass". When a German orders a glass of beer, he says "ein Bier" but not "ein Bierglas".
2) Can you tell us the exact song position?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2000, 18:24

hhhuuuuuhhhhhh, cool!
please give us the cd-time...!!
(i am german , too)
ALEX;

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2000, 07:09

OK, ausnahmsweise auf Deutsch:

Wenn ich Amarok mit dem CD-Player von Win98 abspiele, kommt die Stelle etwa bei Minute 58:37, genau bevor die letzte Mad-Bit-Sequenz und der Zulu-Chor anfängt. Ganz deutlich kam der Satz auf meinem Walkman raus, aber auch über die Anlage ist er (hoffentlich) gut zu hören.

Michael

All message should be written in English! Thanks! - Olivier

[This message has been edited by Olivier (edited 03-26-2000).]
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2000, 15:29

OK, I checked position 58:37.
I put it thru an equalizer and enhanced the 1 kHz channel, suppressing all other channels.
It sure is German.
What I made of it is this:
"Gibs't mal'n Bierglas rüber,
weiß, rot und blau, vergiss das jetzt mal!"
The "weiß, rot und blau" part seemed most clear to me. The rest is uncertain.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2000, 15:38

It could also be:
"Stellst' mein Bierglas kalt..."

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2000, 02:22

It's really interesting this question about the german words in Amarok, these are the things I really enjoy about the obscure or hidden lyrics/words in MO! Please, send translation to Lyrics forum!
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2000, 15:35

I posted this topic to "Deutsches Mike Oldfield Forum", too. www.forumromanum.de/member/forum/forum.cgi?USER=user_2946
(Olivier, could you please make a link here?)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
cornofa Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2000, 08:56

Hello there!

I am - partially - German, too... And I actually wanted to post, that at minute 56:34 a rather screechy woman's voice says: "Hallo?! ... Hallo?! ... Wer ist da?!" Obviously nobody heard that before...

Now as I read through this topic I got interested, and listened to the beer thing, and to me it sounds like he is asking for a "Bierflasche". I also think they might be playing some game: talking about colours, drinking beer, and also I think I can hear one of them ask "Hast Du schon gesetzt"... Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure about that woman earlier... Anyway, that's that...

Ciao

Adam
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2000, 09:25

I think you're right about the woman's voice, and I also think he says 'Bierflasche' ( = bottle of beer), but I can't make out any of the other words there.
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 05:34

there are so many weird bits in Amarok that a bit like that would be considered pretty normal compared to the rest of the album.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 15:03

I think that they're chattering in Xhosa and parts just happen to sound like German when heard amongst the other things. I can hear the words that are being talked about, but don't personally feel that they sound very German to me (but then, I guess it's a long time since I heard any German speaking Africans).
I think it's natural to look out for things which may be familiar to you in some way - an example in a different situation would be the way that humans interpret parts of random patterns as faces...it's just part of people's mental 'programming'.
Similar is the way that people have been able to make out English words in the piltdown man part of 'Altered State' - I personally think that it's just random vocal noises.
Profile PM 
htowninsomniac Offline

Posted: June 12 2007, 09:57

I never noticed that it was German until you mentioned the time and I listened to it again. I think I can actually make out a bit more, starting from about 58:13. It's definitely several men talking in German, perhaps at a pub, maybe watching a football game on TV.

58:15: "... Ja, Ich sag das doch..." (".... Yes, I'm saying that...")

58:18: "... Vertreter..." ("... representative [noun]...")

58:27: "... Ah, jetzt sag doch mal, mann, ey. Warum ... ihr denn ueberhaupt kein ..." ("Oh, come on, man. Why [don't] you ... at all anymore")

58:35: "... ein paar Rotweine... schieb mir mal ein Bierglas rueber..." ("... a few glasses of red wine... hand me a beer glass...")
Profile PM 
12 replies since Mar. 19 2000, 11:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net