Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Genesisfragment at the beginning of the album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
^NabLa^ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 07:17

In two weeks I'm performing my first gig ever. Considering it was tsode which got me into electronic music in the first place I thought more than appropriate to start the set using the same voice sample that reads the genesis fragment at the beginning of the album, as a personal homage to this wonderful piece of music.

Now, does anyone know if he sampled this from somewhere else, and where? I'd like to use exactly the same material if possible.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched but haven't found an answer yet

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 08:11

It's from one of the Apollo space missions.Can't remember which one but it's very well known.Useless with remebering the facts.
 First ever gig?Enjoy it.It's a truely terrifying experience to start with but one you get through the first peice it's one of the best feelings possible!My first was when i was about 14 or 15.One song in a massive school line up.Truely nerve wracking untill i was up there and doing it.Good luck mate!  :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:43

Nice one dude, will have a scour later on see if I can find it. Well I did play a few times at school, and also a couple of times on a rock band many years ago, however none of the music was mine and I was playing with more people, as far as I'm concerned this is start point zero for me. Thanks for the good vibes, I'm gonna need em :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:43

Interesting that you ask this question the very same moment as I discussed this topic in a parallell thread.

Look in the "Just a piece of rubbish!" thread. I am (certainly) not responsible for this ridiculous thread title, since TSODE is a masterpiece.

Apollo 8, the very first mission to the moon, dec 1968. No landning yet. Bill Anders reads the stuff, Frank Borman and Jim Lowell were the others in the crew. Jim had bad luck, and went another trip to the moon without having the possibility to land (Apollo 13, 1970). Heros, all of them.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 09:45

Spooky. Can you point me in the direction of that thread? Aw crap nevermind, just found it, cheers :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 10:17

Thanks The Mann.That was bugging me.The other point of interest at the start of TSODE is the whale song.Sperm whales to be exact.Glorious sound!

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 11:16

Sperm whales? Now that's a coincidence, is oldfield a trekkie by any chance?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 11:21

Sorry hump backs.And yes he's a massive trekkie!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2009, 20:57

Nasa used to have tons of audio files available to download,I know because I`ve used a couple of them myself in previous compositions.The Apollo 8 clip can also be found on their 40th anniversary site  here

The David Axelrod album Earth Rot(1970) begins with the exact same Genesis passage as Mike used,although not from the Apollo 8 mission.And then strangely enugh when the album was re-issued a few years back it came out on Ascension Records.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2009, 12:42

I'm sure it's a Phil Collins-era sample, possibly from Abacab. I stopped listening after Wind and Wuthering actually...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2009, 20:39

I think he was talkin' 'bout the bible, not abacab. I'll take abacab tho........

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 16:53

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 23 2009, 16:21)
Sorry hump backs.And yes he's a massive trekkie!

There's one star trek film they have to bring a sperm whale back from the past or else :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 16:54

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 24 2009, 01:57)
The Apollo 8 clip can also be found on their 40th anniversary site  here

Nice one  :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since Oct. 23 2009, 07:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net