Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Free album - "6am", For those who like a bit of Eno< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ColdSun2003 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2003, 18:30

Hello again,

My first album, "6am", is now available for free download on my website: coldsun.co.uk

It's just one continuous track that plays for 43 minutes, similar in style to "Thursday Afternoon" by Brian Eno. It's not very Oldfield-ish, but I thought I'd try plugging it here anyway.  It's a bit of a hefty download (approx 40Mb) but shouldn't take more than 10min on a cable connection.

Please let me know any comments/feedback you have - it's my first album of proper ambient music so constructive criticism is always welcome.

Hope you enjoy it,

Simon.
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2003, 06:10

I've listened to the track, but soon after I hit the play, I forgot I had a song playing!  :D  It seems nothing is really happening, isn't it?
If this was your intention, I guess you've done a good job.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2003, 08:33

I really like this. Very soft and gentle. Though 40+ minutes of it gets kind of old but I suppose that was the point :). I've only heard 'An Ending' by Brian Eno and I liked it very much and this definitly follows that style of music. Though I can hear parts building up and exploding with cymbols and guitars in my head :cool: . Very nice job, though. I like I like.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 14:41

Quote (Music, the ancient language... @ April 21 2003, 06:10)
It seems nothing is really happening, isn't it?  If this was your intention, I guess you've done a good job.

Yep - that was the intention!  'Proper' ambient music is the sort that does absolute squat.  When you said "I forgot I had a song playing", that's probably the biggest compliment anyone can pay to an ambient musician - the whole point of the music is to be subconscious.  If you think nothing happens in "6am", wait until you hear Matthias Grassow... his ambient works are little more than stagnant drones :D

For a full-album ambient piece, "6am" could actually be described as 'short' - "Slow Heat" by Steve Roach is just one continuous load of ambience that plays for over 70 minutes!  I find ambient fans prefer the long pieces as it relaxes them and then keeps going, helping them to stay relaxed.  Still - not bad for a first effort  :cool:

Thanks for your comments
Profile PM 
ColdSun2003 Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 16:45

I've just added a streamable version for those using 56k modems or for those who want to listen to the album before downloading.

The stream uses Ogg Vorbis (so the low-bitrate version doesn't sound like it's recorded on a broken dictaphone), so I recommend using WinAmp.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2003, 06:01

I thought it was very nice - the soft sounds are very relaxing, and it does just blend into the background, becoming something that's subtly there rather than constantly clamouring for attention.
Profile PM 
5 replies since April 20 2003, 18:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net