[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: foreign affair help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
woodrue Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 29 2000, 02:30

Hi everyone.
I was looking for foreign affair lyrics.
I found two different versions, and I'd like to hear frfom you wich one is the right one.

on another site I found this:
'A lagoon by la mere. It's a foreign affair'
on this site it is this way:
'Ali goum pa la mere. It's a foreign affair'
Wich one is right? And, by the way, what does
ali goum pa mean?
Thanks fot your help
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2000, 03:22

IMHO the right lyric is A lagoon by la mere. It makes more sense than the other one, that you can find just right here in tubular.net. And only here, I think...
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2000, 07:11

Hi

I don't understand why 'A lagoon by la mere' should have more sense than 'Ali goum pa la mere'. All right for 'A lagoon', but why 'by la mere' ? I really don't understand. Could you be more precise ?

Maybe another track to follow :
In french 'la mere' mean 'the mother'... But 'A lagoon by the mother' may be non-sense... And 'la mer', which has nearly the same pronounciation mean The Sea... Maybe more sense now ?
As i'm french, i'd like to know if 'A lagoon by the sea' makes sense...

Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2000, 07:34

Hi there

I'm french too, and i think that 'A lagoon by la mer' means something. Maybe it means far on the sea or something like that. And don't forget the title : 'FOREIGN Affair'. The word 'foreign' can explain 'la mer' in french, no ?
Well, it's an idea...

Bye

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2000, 10:23

I think 'A lagoon by la mer' may means 'A lagoon near the sea, maybe like a beautiful beach of Tahiti, with Coconet-tree, white sand, blue sea... ;-)
But in my mind, a lagoon is always near the sea ! That's why I wonder if there is a sense in english...
I will listen to FA this evening to try to identify these words...
But I like it like that : French Polynesia, Tahiti, so 'By la mer' ;-)

Have a nice week-end
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2000, 11:16

Well, I think that the second part it's "la mer", more than "la mere", sorry I though that mer-sea had a final "e". That's because I said that it makes more sense than "Ali goum...".
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 03 2000, 04:32

Hi everyone

Yes, it's not easy to hear that, with Maggie's Anglo-Saxon accent, but it could be 'A lagoon by la mer'...
The first time it appears, I truely hear "Ali...", so it's very uncertain...
I sometimes hear 'A lagoon par la mer', which can be an word-to-word translation of 'A lagoon by the sea' (in french, we would say 'A lagoon on the sea'- Un lagon sur la mer) : by = par.

Does anybody else have an idea ?

And now another small discussion : which Island is it ?

Foreign affair
Take a trip in the air
To a tropical beach
An island to reach
A new territory
For an intimate story
Ali goum pa la mere
It's a foreign affair

Drifting and free
On a mystical sea
A drop in the ocean
A hush in the air
You can feel anywhere
In the cool twilight
On a tropical night

All right, this is surely about a tropical Island, in an Ocean or a Sea. And if we consider that 'Ali goum...' is 'A lagoon...' and the french words 'par la mer', we may talk about French speaking Island.
It may be "les Antilles (Guadeloupe-Martinique)".
We know there's a lagoon, so it can't be "La Reunion", because there's no lagoon there...
Mauritius speaks English and French, so it may be this.
And there's all Pacific Islands (French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna)
I can't believe MO talk about Wallis and Futuna, they are NOT mystic at all !

Cheers
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 03 2000, 07:31

It's very interesting finding which island is this! If anyone 'round here is a expert in MO biography, maybe he/she could tell us which trips did MO the year he composed FA. I'm sure that someone knows this. And through that we'll have more data to find which island is...
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2000, 16:31

I have no idea about all this, but:
On FMO, there's a track "MOUNT TEIDI". Does this refer to the mountain "Pico de Teide" on the island of Teneriffa?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 04 2000, 11:28

The answer to your question about the Mount Teide is YES. By the way it's "Pico del Teide", "Teide" is the name of the mountain, a volcano in this case, and "Pico" is for "Peak or Pick", and "del" not "de", del=de+el=of the. I know that almost everywhere in MO albums it's "Mount Teidi", but not everywhere. The correct version it's "Mount Teide", "Teidi" it's just the way the anglophones say it. And it is in Tenerife Island (Teneriffa? Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha)
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 04 2000, 16:26

Thank you, Cipher. I took the names from a German standard school atlas. Maybe people are right who say that children should learn from the web rather than from books wink

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 07 2000, 21:15

Greetings all! I FINALLY had a chance to hall out the vinyl and look at the lyrics sheet that had been included - one side is Japanese and the other side is English. The lyrics sheet says "a la coump a la mer." I have a fairly good (so I thought!) French dictionary (no English in it), but the word "coump" doesn't appear. I had always wondered if it were a slang word that wouldn't necessarily appear in most dictionaries. ???? I had always thought that the word might have involved an activity by the sea, as opposed to a land feature. On the other hand, lagoons are certainly associated with the sea, and are shallow ponds, channels, cul-de-sacs. But "coump" doesn't translate to lagoon. Question for the French speakers, does it translate to anything, or is it some sort of typo? M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 10 2000, 10:35

Oh. Then we have only two solutions:
a) Is out there someone from France (or Quebec)? What means "coump"?
b) Do you know a japanese for tranlate the japanese lyrics?
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 10 2000, 12:37

I'm French and living in Québec, and "coump" means nothing for me (but I'm not fluent in Québec language...) It could sound like some language spoken in islands. "a la" means "to the" or "at the". Maybe "coump" means "sea" in a local language used on a French island. Just an hypothesis.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 10 2000, 21:55

Cipher asks: b) Do you know a japanese for tranlate the japanese lyrics?

I need to be saved from myself. Yes, in fact we host a Japanese college student, and why I haven't thought to ask her about this is beyond me......I've only had two entire years ))-: Actually, until hauling out the lyrics the other night, I forgot the sheet included a Japanese version. She's incredibly busy with studies and the end of the semester, but perhaps this weekend she'll have time to look at them.

--------------
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 12 2000, 03:52

I'm French too, and "a la coump" means nothing for me. I'm trying to contact someone who know 'creole' (The Antilles slang)...

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: April 12 2000, 07:54

Wow, the we have two choices, one is to find someone with a good knowledge of creole french, and the other is that misterious japanese student that is so busy now. I'm sure that Mike put that in the lyrics for giving us an interesting journey into the fascinating world of anthropology and language sociology. Just kidding. He put that there 'cause he didn't find a word with the desired sound...
Profile PM WEB 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 13 2000, 02:54

Hi

No, it means nothing for my 'Creole Speaking' friend (Creole is a language spoken by people living in the Antilles).
For him not any word in Creole sounds like 'a la coump' we should give up this idea. And yes, Cipher, I agree, MO had certainly put this words because they sound like he wanted to ! And he always does what he want, even if it is non-sense ;-)!

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 13 2000, 23:59

With his penchant for non-language lyrics, perhaps Mike could adapt a Klingon opera.....
OK, so Klingon is an actual language....(I still don't understand why people spend time learning it when there are several thousand languages on the planet to learn). Guess because it's there, and you never know when you'll encounter a Klingon....

Anyway....earlier this year, we learned from Mike himself that On Horseback is "chaos" and not "cares." Perhaps we can eventually get the scoop on coump, too!

Speaking of non-words, there are so-called straight songs performed by some Native American artists in which they sing/chant non-words to evoke an emotional response on the part of the listener; I think Mike accomplishes this with his use of chants.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2000, 22:46

Just to complicate (or maybe simplify?) things further...The lyrics accompanying the sheet music in the 'Elements' book say 'A lagoon par la mer'...
I believe that the French word for lagoon can be 'lagune' (as well as lagon...am I right here?)...Perhaps maggie Reilly pronouncing this badly is what's leading to this 'coump' thing...
I'd imagine that what it is at least trying to say is 'A lagoon by the sea', even if it doesn't quite succeed...
Profile PM 
29 replies since Mar. 29 2000, 02:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net