Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Force 10, This time it's serious< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 15:47

I've been hesitating over whether to put this one up here or not for a while...I figured it was about time I just got on and did it.

I think you'll find it rather a different animal to Moonlight Mando...I'll say no more, and let the music speak for itself.

Force 10 (roughly 5.4mb)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 18:04

Really great. Congrats.  :cool:  :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 23 2003, 03:10

Touching. It really is.
First the Moonlight Mando, now this one, ... I'm looking forward to the next one!

Maybe a tiny little remark: I get a kind of 'three in one' feeling in this piece. Your transitions, especially the second one, are quite odd: it's like the piece ends and another piece begins. Did you do that on purpose?
Ironically, your ending is quite sudden, and therefore it seems that there are more endings in the middle of the piece than at the end!  :D

Anyway, nice job!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2003, 17:58

That's a beautiful composition, it really is. You have a very passionate playing style, the piece sounds very contemplative and reflective. Reminded me in the middle a tiny bit of 'The Show Must Go On' by Queen, excellent electric guitar work by the way. What can I say, I'm very, very impressed Richard! More!

Ollie

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
bitfidus Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 05:33

Hmmm... Interesting. Very clear sound. A good work without doubt....

Bitfidus
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 12:59

Well, thanks to everyone who's commented so far.

On the subject of the 'three in one' feel...I've been trying to come up with a decent answer as to why it's like that, but I'm actually not sure I have one.
I played around a fair bit with the timing of the transitions, shifting things around to give the right degree of separation between them; I did want to keep them as slightly separate entities, with each having its own little space.
Having the end coming in the middle is probably quite a good indicator of my personality ;)
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 15:23

Having listened again, I have to ask - did you actually base part of it on The Show Must Go On, or was it unintentional? I really enjoy the piece but part of it is *very* similar...

oh i just downloaded moonlight mando and that's really awesome too  :cool:

Ollie

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 16:34

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 21 2003, 15:47)
I've been hesitating over whether to put this one up here or not for a while...

glad that u decided to share it with us :)

it is one of these pieces of music that have the power to shrink one’s stomach from the first listening… if u know what i mean…
the only i’ d criticise is that in the ‘first move’ the strings (?) that appear first and later remain in the background sound, imho, a bit too loud and in some way distract from the so beautiful sound of the spanish guitar

i find sense (it’s not my intention to tell u why u did that…it’s just my thought about it…) in the three moves, first the spanish guitar draws the melody in a sweet and gloomy way, later the electric guitar brings force (and how) to the feeling there and at last the electric again speaks with the sweetness of the beginning and reminding the force of the second move, it’s like a sum of them… i don’t see endings there, more than this i see something transforming along the composition.

i really like it.

ps. i prefer ‘the animal’ u show in force 10

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2003, 07:23

very cool..great :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2003, 10:28

The Queen similarity was completely unintentional (it actually stemmed from an idea that emerged from a piece I used to do with an acoustic duo, when we'd start with a drone note then lay changing chords over that, then start to alter the bass note and so on), and I was sort of annoyed to later discover how close the parts were. I think it's probably lucky I only noticed afterwards though, as if I'd have noticed before, I'd probably have ended up not recording anything.

I suppose that the 'strings' you refer to, maria, is the lyre part (the only other thing I can think of is the synth strings part that's behind it all, which is in the third section as well). I feel that the level's where I want it; again, it's something I did work on for a little while, getting the classical guitar part to stand out to the right degree - I felt it seemed too prominent with the other instruments brought down any more in level (the lyres are, however, panned hard left and right, both to give a more interesting stereo spread and to give the guitar more space in the stereo image). It will sound different on different systems of course, and some loudspeakers will emphasise certain frequencies in a mix more than others. Lack of clarity with some speakers is also something that has to be dealt with, as when there's a lot going on (like in the middle section of Force 10), it can all blend into a mush; I've compensated for that a little, but it always has to be a compromise.
The lyre's a lovely little instrument, by the way - it has a really compact, sweet sound and it's also very portable (try fitting even a small harp into a backpack...). On the minus side, it can be hell to tune...
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 25 2003, 14:31

Such a gorgeously expressive, emotional piece full of contrasts and moods. It's downright transporting. It is soothing, exhilerating, calming. Today, Force 10 conjured up a clear mountain river containing rapids that eventualy dissipated. Didn't realise you are using a lyre--wonder how the tuning compares with a psaltery? (After an hour of tuning a psaltery last weekend [24 strings--er, no--17 strings--seemed like more], we had it nearly properly tuned. An ordeal, indeed.) Maybe the real story of how the lyre ended up as a constellation is that after Orphesus' demise, Zeus wanted to play his lyre but couldn't tune it, got frustrated, and heaved it (fractured Greek myths :cool:  )

Thanks so much for sharing Force 10!

:)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2003, 18:46

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 25 2003, 10:28)
The lyre's a lovely little instrument, by the way - it has a really compact, sweet sound and it's also very portable (try fitting even a small harp into a backpack...). On the minus side, it can be hell to tune...

asuracenturix could be the prove for that…  well, also his voice contributes :D

seriously now… yes, i meant the first section, from the beginning. it seemed to me a string instrument but i couldn’t recognize it.
i can understand what u say, the lyres are in a medium level between the background and the guitar…

again, great piece of music
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2003, 19:11

Apologies if its been asked before, but how long have you been recording Korgscrew? You sound very accomplished as both a composer AND a musician!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2003, 14:17

<counting on fingers...> Hmm...let's say long enough for me to have lost track of exactly when I started.

The lyre's tuned diatonically - that is, to a major scale, with 12 strings going from a low C to a high G. It's not that dissimilar to a plucked psaltery, apart from the differently shaped body (and therefore the method of playing). Bowed Psalteries are usually tuned chromatically (with naturals on one side and sharps on the other), making them rather different beasts (beast may well be the word ;)). The method of tuning is the same, though (with this particular lyre, at least) - strings attached to metal zither pins which are turned with a tuning key.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2003, 17:04

Hi Richard,
is that a rainmaker (sort of exotic plant where the seeds inside slowly rustle from one end to the other when you hold it at an angle) in the 1st part? I like how the very high-pitched (keyboard?) sound picks this up in part 2.  Plus in part 3, there's the shaker again which picks up this idea.  I like how the electric guitar in part 2 tries to break loose from the very suggestive main theme, adding some blues, but fails and falls back into the main theme. That theme reappearing (on jazz guitar) in part 3 makes the whole thing sound even more sad and forlorn. OK, in my hearing, you go from the key of A minor up to D minor, and back to A minor. Not exactly original, but very fitting for this piece IMO. The overall mix & production is IMO excellent.   The overall mood reminds me a bit of  MO's 'guitars'. A really enjoyable piece of music, if you ask me... Keep it up!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 13:52

Yes, that is a rainstick/rainmaker/dried out bit of cactus with the sweepings of a native's floor stuffed inside. The swooshy sounds in the second part are indeed part of a synth pad.

As I remember it, the way the keys fit together was the reason for the whole structure - the two parts already existed in Am and Dm and it seemed right to fit them together in that way, having one slowly emerge from the other. The middle bit's in drop-D tuning, and was a case of writing around the tuning rather than tuning around the writing (something about having that lowest note as the tonic seemed right)...the classical guitar actually plays the bass notes along with the synth, though I doubt anyone would have noticed unless I'd said  (the synth parts were fitted around the guitar, so it only got buried later on).
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 18:18

'Writing around the tuning' - sounds good, but I don't quite understand. You mean, not using any B-flats in the melody so it's not obviously in dm but could also as well be in am? And what's a drop-D? Sometimes I'm so stupid and a piece of music is always more complicated than it seems. Please teach me.
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 10:53

Drop-D, as I mean it, is just tuning the lowest string to D rather than E (I think this is a bit of a colloquial expression...it might even be one I made up...).
By writing around the tuning, I mean to say that I set out with the purpose of using that low D, rather than having written something then working out a way of tuning the guitar to make it possible (there wouldn't have been anything to stop me going down to a C or even a B there really). Having that low D meant D minor made a lot of sense, something about having a really powerful tonic note.

As for things being more complex than they seem, it's like that for me as well - some of the considerations that I mention now weren't heavily conscious thoughts in my head at the time. At the end of the day, it's not meant to be a complex piece; that certainly was a conscious decision, to hold off from putting in things that weren't really necessary and keep the overall effect as simple as possible. That's not to say that there aren't subtle little things hidden in there that make it a little more than it seems...
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 12:31

Ah. I see. Writing around the tuning. Good.  :cool:

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 14:57

Hi,KORGSCREW,
      Chapeau! Bravo!
      Your music TALKS to me.It's full of feelings.I'm listening to it in "repeat" mode (loop)and it's realy wonderfull.
Thank you very much to share with us your art.

ps.when is the next one coming?
ps.2. FORCE 10,would this be related with the wind strenght scale BEAUFORT? 10 beaufort is a very high wind speed,about 100 km/h. Can you please tell us why did you called FORCE 10?
Profile PM 
30 replies since Feb. 21 2003, 15:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net