Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: folk/medieval, other artists?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
imhotep Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 10:48

Some of Mike's music in the 70's had this really special folky feeling with some sort of medieval edge to it.

Do you know any other artists that I would like in this type of style? It doesn't have to be restricted to it though.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 15:20

Safety Dance by Men Without Hats,
check out the video on youtube, it really is the dog's bollock's. :cool:

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 16:10

Blackmore's Night. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 19:12

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Sep. 06 2008, 20:20)
Safety Dance by Men Without Hats,
check out the video on youtube, it really is the dog's bollock's. :cool:

:laugh: That guy made an absolute fortune out of that one song apparently.But yeah it is quite stangely medieval..heh heh and the video certainly helps.Great song to sing along to.Although it`s quite hard for me to do it without giggling a bit.

Personaly I`d say maybe some mid 70`s Jethro Tull or early 70`s Steeleye Span.I think I know what you mean though imhotep about the "medieval" quality.It was very apparent on Tubular Bells I felt.Like something older than folk music itself with a darker kind of quality to it a little bit.I would`ve loved it if Mike had recorded an album with all Citterns,Dulcimers and Glastonbury Pipes and stuff.Hmmm?.Celtic Wedding by The Cheiftains has something of a medieval feel to it as does some of their other stuff.Or the Medieval Baebes of course a kind of Wickerman Spice Girls if you like.Some of their stuff is pretty cool though I think.Their album The Rose was very good.

There`s actualy a band out at the minute from Seattle called Fleet Foxes whose debut album was kind of described as a "Medieval Pet Sounds".It`s a very apt description though I thought kind of hit the nail on the head for me when I heard it.But it`s a really old school recording if you like with lots of acoustic and organic instrumentation.A lot of great vocal harmonies and unique songs as well which all kind of inter-weave with each other.The songs are all kind of fractured and broken up a little bit but they`re all highly melodic at the same time.It`s a real grower put it that way,even though I loved it the instant I heard it.It`s kind of a timeless album as well as far as the year goes.Although after the first time I listened to it I convinced myself it was late october and I was living out in the backwoods somewhere.Sitting on the porch by lamplight,whittling a piece of wood or something.But no honestly it`s very good and that "medieval thing was definetly there for me without it being exclusivley folksy.

Oh yeah and Gorki`s Zygotic Monkey they`ve been around for a few years now but I used to like some of their stuff as well.The spelling`s maybe a bit off there with the band title as I no longer have any of their albums unfortunatly.Sold them in a pique of ignorance...  :p
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2008, 21:28

;) Please listen this one , i think they are Germans : Aigues vives   Water of seasons  ...  

http://harmonium.tistory.com/entry/Aigues-Vives-Water-of-Seasons   and

http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/Germanprogfolk.html  

Perhaps you should take a look at German rock bands from the seventies ( Baroque rock , Krautrock )

http://progressive.homestead.com/GERMANYPROG.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock

And about Folk rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_rock

.... A little explanation with no interest  :D .. Aigues vives is a French city in the south of France ... in old French , this could say ( but i'm not sure ) something very pointed like a needle or a headland or a mountain ridge ( Hergest ridge ). But in Latin Aqua viva looks like Aigues vives so it surely means running water or strong water of a river ....

Hope you'll understand me .
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 01:58

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions but none of them sounded what I was looking for.

In Dulci Jubilo, Portsmouth and William Tell Overture are good examples of what I mean when I mean medieval.

Instrumental songs, old school instrumentation even though eletric guitars are nice in there too. The melodies are so lovely and I love the sound of the instruments.

I guess stuff from the 70's is where I should look to?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 02:48

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 06 2008, 19:12)
There`s actualy a band out at the minute from Seattle called Fleet Foxes whose debut album was kind of described as a "Medieval Pet Sounds"... after the first time I listened to it I convinced myself it was late october and I was living out in the backwoods somewhere.Sitting on the porch by lamplight,whittling a piece of wood...

I've just found a number of their pieces on imeem, Dirk. Thanks for the recommendation. From my initial listenings, it seems like "White Winter Hymnal" is the standout track - it's lovely and catchy. I agree that their music would be good accompaniment to wood-whittling. How did you find out about them?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 06:09

;) @ imhotep

ok but it's a pity because there are much bands from the seventies there .  Just have a look on folk rock part ; there's a band called Dulcimer .... i didn't know this band before searching a link for you and i dropped by them ! Really good with Suzanne always a beautiful song... ahh Bobby you're a musician  i also love so much ..after Mike of course .. i really love these Hippies Times . Ohhh God ! i'm seeing now that i begin to be an old man !

In the song Vilage-Days of Lord Kichener , there's a man talking ..and it reminds me Sailor's hornpipe remixed with the ..." drunken man " :D

http://harmonium.tistory.com/entry....s-A-Boy
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 06:16

@ imhotep: Blackmore's Night sound to me like they're exactly what you're looking for. Most of their material is vocal, but they do a few instrumentals as well.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 06:22

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 07 2008, 07:48)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 06 2008, 19:12)
There`s actualy a band out at the minute from Seattle called Fleet Foxes whose debut album was kind of described as a "Medieval Pet Sounds"... after the first time I listened to it I convinced myself it was late october and I was living out in the backwoods somewhere.Sitting on the porch by lamplight,whittling a piece of wood...

I've just found a number of their pieces on imeem, Dirk. Thanks for the recommendation. From my initial listenings, it seems like "White Winter Hymnal" is the standout track - it's lovely and catchy. I agree that their music would be good accompaniment to wood-whittling. How did you find out about them?

A friend of mine turned me on to them very recently.He did`nt tell me anything about them just gave me the disc as he knew I was going to like them.I was a little bit dubious at first before I played it because I kind of hate being pre-empted.But yeah I was hooked from the first few seconds.And then there`s a moment where this banjo riff comes in about a minute into the first track and I was holding back the tears I was that turned onto it.I mean that track you mention is fantastic I agree,but I can`t honestly pick a standout track myself there is`nt a bad one on there imo.And it kind of needs to be listened to as an album you know because as I mentioned earlier all the tracks kind of interweave with each other and form a complete story somehow.The influences are pretty apparent I guess The Beach Boys,CSN&Y,The Band etc.And I kind of drew comparisons between this band and people like Midlake and The Decemberists.But this album was much more unique and affecting for me somehow.And that`s without doing those other bands down I guess because I really like a lot of their stuff as well.

Imhotep you may like a project from the 70`s called Morris On which was fronted by Ashley Hutchings from Fairport Convention.Kind of traditional folk/morris tunes done in a partly electrified style.They did a fair number of songs as well but some of their instrumentals reminded me of those particular tracks you mention there from Mike.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2008, 16:29

I recommend John Renbourn, whom Mike was strongly influenced by. I have this compilation and it fits the bill exactly.

A few others I can think of that you might like:
- Alan Stivell: Renaissance of the Celtic Harp
- Horslips: Happy To Meet, Sorry To Part
- Ougenweide, a German medieval / folk rock band from the 70s, here's a nice compilation
- for Swedish folk, I highly recommend Triakel

Edit: and have you heard Tom Newman's "Faerie Symphonie" (which Mike plays on)? Really good stuff.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2008, 00:32

Dirk nailed it:  Steeleye Span.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2008, 14:16

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 07 2008, 06:16)
@ imhotep: Blackmore's Night sound to me like they're exactly what you're looking for. Most of their material is vocal, but they do a few instrumentals as well.

I listened to a couple of their songs but the ones I heard had more of a pop-arrangement.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2008, 14:22

Ougenweide were cool. And some of the other stuff too.
Thanks people.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2008, 16:39

Just got hold of a Copy of Wooden Horse II     today off E Bay..  Full of acoustic Guitar and Melody..    Bit of a "Rare" one ..   Its interesting as it was Noosha Foxes 1st Band Before Fox  so its got a bit of history to it...     Also got the "Cado Belle" CD  the Maggie Debut CD  also Folk Based..

Im looking for the "Tim Renwick" solo 80s Album if anyone has a Copy PM me please as it appears its tough to get hold of.. Need a Tape of it or any Audio..   ie Tim Renwick was a Session Guitarist for MO & Maggie Reilly.. Cheers Nigel :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2008, 02:01

I just found a video of Fleet Foxes on Letterman. I wanna call their fashion style 'Lumberjack Hippy'. Whaddya think?

(PS: I'm really digging their album - thanks, again, Dirk)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2008, 04:54

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 11 2008, 07:01)
I just found a video of Fleet Foxes on Letterman. I wanna call their fashion style 'Lumberjack Hippy'. Whaddya think?

(PS: I'm really digging their album - thanks, again, Dirk)

:D Lumberjack Hippy great stuff.I think I read somewhere that they were`nt too keen on the "hippy tag" but it`s pretty much inevitable I guess.I have seen a few pictures of them but that`s the first time I`ve actualy seen them "in the flesh" so`s to speak.Cheers for that Sweetpea.I`m actualy quite thrilled that you like them,and oddly enough my friend was too after he recommended them to me.I think a part of that is down to that great natural feel-good vibe about them in a way.Listening to these songs as I am at the moment is really kind of weird in a way,because I feel like they`ve been with me for years already.Almost as if they were there before I was even born in fact.I could be wrong but I think they`re going to be pretty huge given time.I mean as a debut album it`s nothing short of astonishing imho.Hopefully any kind of major success wont change them too much.

There`s actually a couple of EP`s by them as well.One simply entitled Fleet Foxes which was released in Seattle only on their own label and is maybe a little bit too raw for my tastes.But another more recent EP entitled Sun Giant which is up there with the quality of the songs on the album for me.Five tracks none of which are on the album..Ooooh go on Sweetpea you know you want to..     :p

@Holger love the music of John Renbourn and Alan Stivell.Renbourn`s The Nine Maidens which is on that particular compilation album you`ve linked there is such a wonderful piece of music.Folky & Medievel??..Oh definetly for me no doubt about it.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2008, 05:11

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 11 2008, 10:54)
@Holger love the music of John Renbourn and Alan Stivell.Renbourn`s The Nine Maidens which is on that particular compilation album you`ve linked there is such a wonderful piece of music.Folky & Medievel??..Oh definetly for me no doubt about it.

Indeed; I love the whole album, but "Variations on My Lady Carey's Dompe" in particular has always struck me as something that could just as easily have been by Mike.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2008, 05:28

Quote (Holger @ Sep. 11 2008, 10:11)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 11 2008, 10:54)

Indeed; I love the whole album, but "Variations on My Lady Carey's Dompe" in particular has always struck me as something that could just as easily have been by Mike.

Yes I agree with you there.If that track had appeared on Collaborations for instance I don`t think I would`ve batted an eyelid.In truth I`m probably more familiar with Renbourn`s stuff with Pentangle than I am with his exclusively solo stuff.Although I have got a couple of albums "The Nine Maidens" one being my favourite I must admit.Definetly need to seek out more in the future I think.I`ve got quite a few more by Stivell though,although I do tend to just listen to the instrumentals for the most part.Rennaisance For The Celtic Harp was such a fantastic ground breaking album I think.The track "Ys" is still a personal favourite of mine.I guess the album was kind of a forerunner to Tubular Bells in some ways as well,I`m sure that must`ve been mentioned before.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2008, 06:18

John Renbourn English Dance  :O  :)  :cool:

And here`s a rather more serene "folk-ish" piece on the guitar.Adapted from a composition by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies.Not sure as to who the guitar player is here as it`s different to the recording I have from The Los Angeles Guitar Quartet.Still a nice version though and a beautiful piece of music. Farewell To Stromness
Profile PM 
31 replies since Sep. 06 2008, 10:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net