Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: FMO: "I have lost in the violet storm", What does this mean?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 01 2005, 18:28

In the second verse of FMO (the song), Mike sings: "I have lost in the violet storm". What does it mean? It makes no sense at all to me, especially "violet" [shouldn't it maybe be "violent" ? :)]. If anyone can provide an explanation, I'd be glad. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TubularFamilyMan Offline

Posted: June 29 2005, 17:12

It could be a typo, but I think it means that he's lost in a dark, violet storm. It's weird, because I just noticed that myself a few days ago.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 29 2005, 19:02

definitely "violent" storm to my cloth ears.

Maybe Manager Ron likes violet?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: July 01 2005, 03:57

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 01 2005, 18:28)
In the second verse of FMO (the song), Mike sings: "I have lost in the violet storm". What does it mean? It makes no sense at all to me, especially "violet" [shouldn't it maybe be "violent" ? :)]. If anyone can provide an explanation, I'd be glad. ;)

Complete lyrics

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 01 2005, 18:46

@ Sonilink: this is interesting. Amadian is usually not the first site I visit when I look for Oldfield lyrics ;), but I like his take [the webmaster is Pablo Ayllon, so... his ;)] on this FMO line. If only he didn't write with all that capitalization... :)

BTW, I'd take it more as "I have lost you" than "I have you lost". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 05 2005, 11:19

The traffic controller is calling
Victor Juliet your identity
I have lost in the violet storm
Communicate or squalk emergency

I have the music in front of me, which reads "violet" and not "squalk," but "squall." I hear "violet" but not "squall." Not exactly "squalk" either--more like a "t."

Isn't that the airplane singing? I nearly remember reading or hearing that several years ago. If that's the case, the airplane has lost its battle to get out of a bad storm. "Violet" makes sense to me--the color of storms can be an amazing thing. Yesterday when out running I turned into another direction and was amazed and concerned at the deep purple of the approaching cloud bank. I thought of this thread and once safely but damply back home was inspired to locate the FMO music (had sort of misplaced it! ).

"Squall" can mean a gusty storm or to scream or "to utter in a strident voice." Guess the latter makes more sense in the context of that sentence fragment. :) But...in that I hear a "t" (which is probably a "k") I wonder if it is supposed to be Squawk, which in addition to complaining is an aviation term for a four digit code that pilots use to identify their aircraft to the air traffic controllers. Besides, I cannot find "squalk" in either an online or printed dictionary.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 05 2005, 14:34

Quote (Ugo @ July 01 2005, 18:46)
Amadian is usually not the first site I visit when I look for Oldfield lyrics

While they still get the "Crises" lyrics wrong, at least it does not contain "winter, brain, and saw".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
6 replies since Feb. 01 2005, 18:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net