Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Flageolets?, Flageolets used in Tubular Bells?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arc Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2005, 05:52

I'm creating a site, http://www.flageolets.com/ devoted to the Flageolet as an instrument. I'm quite interested in looking at the ways in which the flageolet (which essentially died out in the 19th Century) has been used in 20th Century music. Tubular Bells is one of very few recordings which used the instrument.

However, I was wondering whether anyone has any further details about the instrument used in this recording. There are basically three types of flageolets, the French, English and Penny Whistle. Does anyone know which one was used for the recording? Was there ever produced a photo of all the instruments used in the recording or something like that, from which I could get an idea of what he used?

Many thanks for your time!

-Jacob
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2005, 06:05

Quote (arc @ Mar. 03 2005, 05:52)
I'm creating a site, http://www.flageolets.com/ devoted to the Flageolet as an instrument.

And I always thought a flageolet was a kind of bean!

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2005, 09:52

Quote (arc @ Mar. 03 2005, 05:52)
I'm creating a site, http://www.flageolets.com/ devoted to the Flageolet as an instrument.

I like the logo on the site. If you could add a third instrument, horizontal, across the top connecting the upper tips of the two already there....

Also, a more useful suggestion. Many such instrument sites feature the sound of the instrument. A .WAV file of a few notes played, linked into the front page, would be nice. If such was located in one of the sub-pages, I could not find it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
arc Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2005, 10:54

I like the logo on the site. If you could add a third instrument, horizontal, across the top connecting the upper tips of the two already there....

I might add that to the Discography page I'm making when it talks about Tubular Bells!

Also, a more useful suggestion. Many such instrument sites feature the sound of the instrument. A .WAV file of a few notes played, linked into the front page, would be nice. If such was located in one of the sub-pages, I could not find it.

Yes, definately, musical examples are going to go up soon.

Thanks

-Jacob
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 03 2005, 05:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net