Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Five Miles Out and Crises re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
yanouch65 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2013, 01:55

Thank you Nordlicht

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2013, 13:41

I'm glad I purchased the Crises Box Set and FMO Deluxe, but for some reason I don't find myself as excited as I thought when listening to the live concerts.  This may be partly because I've already played the bootlegs for these many times, and the Crises one was already, IMO very good quality as it were.  This was in my car this morning, so we'll see if playing them at home does anything more for me.  I think I'm more impressed with the artwork, booklets, demo tracks, etc. more than anything.  Anyone else feel this way?
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2013, 03:10

I agree , re the live recordings,in fact of the whole thing.
A little disappointed.
The FMO live recording is marred by Maggie Reilly having a cold, and shouldn't have been used.The Crises recording is great in parts, but suffers from some "cock-rock" playing from the band.Also the 1st half has no bass guitar in the mix, only the second half that has been mixed from the multitracks sounds full and has bass.
The Crises singles remixes are bland, and nothing new.
The 5.1 mixes are un balanced and sloppy with beginnings and ends cut wrongly (I question if the DVD mastering was done correctly?????....and that we've all got botched versions and universal are nervously waiting for enough of us to officially complain)
Sorry to sound ungrateful, but these are not cheap and with a bit more thought,could have been much better value for our continued financial support.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2013, 13:15

I would have rather have seen ALL unreleased B-sides, demo versions, etc. included rather than (or in addition to) the live tracks, maybe even including a concert that most fans have rarely seen in bootleg.

I'm just wondering what he's planning for the remaining catalog.  I'm holding out hope that for something like Amarok, we'll get some real gems - some demos or a never before seen live version.

Also, since many of us probably own the "Elements DVD" why waste the space with those on these releases?
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2013, 14:51

Agree. This re-releases are a great opportunity to give us all-releated stuff from each individual album. I like live shows, but there could be more (all concerts from each album era). 5.1 mixes are great, b-sides are also great but there should be more demo and rare tracks, more live shows. I'am impressed of what King Crimson is doing by releasing 15-disc Larks Tongues In Aspic (most of the live recordings have poor quality, but it's not important, because listening to this is a big musical adventure! ) or 25-disc of Road To Red. Why we cant get more stuff from Mike? I'am sure he has got much more stuff than what we get with this re-releases.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2013, 08:58

I've got my crises box, at last, so will do a check! :)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2013, 22:36

Quote (equinoxe @ Sep. 16 2013, 14:51)
Why we cant get more stuff from Mike?

Because Mike doesn't give a shit about his fans. He is far too aloof to actually put effort into pleasing the people that buy his music. The lack of care and the errors that have occurred with the recent re-releases and the Incantations re-issue are further evidence of this.

I love a lot of Mike Oldfield's music, but his lack of interaction and support of fans definitely leaves a negative impression for me.
Profile PM WEB 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 05:39

Quote (GusFogle @ Sep. 17 2013, 22:36)
Quote (equinoxe @ Sep. 16 2013, 14:51)
Why we cant get more stuff from Mike?

Because Mike doesn't give a shit about his fans. He is far too aloof to actually put effort into pleasing the people that buy his music. The lack of care and the errors that have occurred with the recent re-releases and the Incantations re-issue are further evidence of this.

I love a lot of Mike Oldfield's music, but his lack of interaction and support of fans definitely leaves a negative impression for me.

Moan,moan,moan,moan.
What are you talking about ? We get Facebook & Twitter updates with Videos of Mike himself.
This is typical of this Forum in general.
People on this board seem to want to buy the most expensive version of the box set available then moan about the content and the price.
Lets face it, these re-masters are single albums, so there is a limit to what can be done.
I think they have been brilliant, I have my favourites and ones I listen to less, but am clearly in the minority in praising this excercise and the unprecedented updates from the man himself.

I look forward with anticipation to the complaints about the rock album. Maybe Mike should submit the score or demo tapes to "fans" first before cutting the disc. Or alternatively, take a back seat and leave the whole production to you. While we are at it, he could invite you over to his studio to run through the master tapes of the re-masters so far so you can have a go.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 07:54

A have to agree with Tarquincat, a lot of artists don't have anything at all do do with their record company's reissuing of their back catalogue.  In contrast, Mike's taken a very hands-on approach and there may have been a few glitches and idiosyncracies along the way but overall, the re-releases have been well worth having.  A major record label should not be considering the availability of bootlegs when it plans to issue live concert recordings legitimately.  As far as it is concerned, those bootlegs don't exist.

We do not have the right to everything in Mr Oldfield's bottom drawer and he does have the right to deny us material he personally considers substandard or embarassing.  And if he chooses to plonk a dodgy rhythm guitar high up in the mix during one of the most moving segments of Hergest Ridge, well that's a shame but that is his right as the work's creator.

As they say, you can please all of the people all of the time.... etc etc.
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 08:32

What more can we ask for? The re-issues have it all; crude demo versions, track-for-track 5.1 versions, the original versions for the purist and Mike's own version for those who wants something fresh. Plus new stuff from the archives.
It's so good I have tears in my eyes!
People still whine, but that's because they have asperger's syndrome.  :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 09:40

I really appreciate all the stuff we are getting with this re-releases. In fact, we had never got that much from Mike recently. For example the only officially released live recordings was that on The Complete, for a long years. Now we have more live shows, that was not published before, b-sides, singles, demos, 5.1 mixes!. Yes, it's for sure a lot of new stuff, and, really, this is just great! I'am seriously happy with that!
I'am just that kind of man, who's appetite comes with eating, so the more i have, the more i want :) Something like that. Maybe it's because i think, Mike is one of the best artists ever, so never will get enough of his music. :)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 10:41

Sorry lads. In a drunken rage when I posted that. I had just finished listening to the Five Miles Out deluxe last night and was disspointed with it to be honest. I should have waited to come to my senses before venting.

And I don't actually have asperger's syndrome, lol. That is ridiculous.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2013, 10:50

Just accept the fact Mike isn't the typical musician who really enjoy exploring his fan base such as Marillion does.As for the re-issues,I've got mixed feelings about them.But the music isn't mine,it's Mike's and if there's anything which have been completely left out,it's simply because they don't fit with his current views on those tunes as a 60-year old man.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2013, 02:37

Also, please remember he's gotta work with what he gets. It's not like he is hunting for all the tapes himself. If the team does not manage to get them, he can't do a squat about it.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2013, 05:25

Quote (GusFogle @ Sep. 18 2013, 10:41)
And I don't actually have asperger's syndrome, lol. That is ridiculous.

I suppose there's some other diagnosis in the DSM-V more suitable for someone who decides to listen to get drunk before putting his FMO deluxe edition in the player for the first time. Haha...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2013, 13:22

That's where you're wrong. I got drunk AFTER listening to it  :p
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2013, 08:18

I've enjoyed them all so far, except the Incantations glitch and the fact that the fix still didn't fix it.

It may help that I don't have much in the way of Oldfield bootlegs but the extra content is good enough for me.

We tend to say that there must have been demos and early versions, alternate versions and pieces that never made it into full length works and there probably were but the main issue here is if Virgin kept those tapes and kept them well. Considering how hard it's been to find decent masters of the stuff that was actually released, the fact that we have the "lost" Ommadawn part 1 and the piano improvisations from Incantations is nothing short of amazing.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2013, 10:02

I don't think record companies had any idea of the value of re-issues way back then, so I imagine a lot of master tapes were not stored carefully.
Even the beatles didn't really sell in the late 70s/early 80's, hence the knock down price Michael Jackson picked up a lot of the rights for.
Also TV wiped a lot of classic shows around that time to save storage space.
We are probably lucky any master tapes exist at all. It would be interesting to see if other artists have full unblemished master tapes from their early years.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2013, 03:50

Quote (Bell Boy @ Sep. 16 2013, 03:10)
The FMO live recording is marred by Maggie Reilly having a cold, and shouldn't have been used.The Crises recording is great in parts, but suffers from some "cock-rock" playing from the band.

I think Maggie sounds fantastic on the FMO live disc; and that what you describe as "cock-rock playing" is just musicians enjoying what they were doing. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a stage presence. It's probably something Mike himself would have liked to have but he was always too busy being self conscious.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2013, 08:00

Once the panic was over, I decided it would be Crises at Christmas and an order with Amazon UK at some point in December.  Yesterday, a random series of journeys towards Victoria Coach Station, and the overnight bus to Glasgow, saw me emerge from Bond Street tube station to discover the new (or re-sited) HMV in Oxford Street.  Therein was a divider suggesting that I ask staff about the availability of the 5-disc Crises.  I carried that around for about twenty minutes before I noticed the dedicated boxed sets display which had a pleasing green glow on one shelf and a £34.99 price tag.  Sorry if that turns out to be the last one but it too has travelled back to Scotland.  Long live the high street!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
160 replies since July 04 2013, 10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net