Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: fishing for jack sockets< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 11 2010, 03:38

I'm getting an Epiphone 335 Dot in natural from a mate.A bargain at £100.Kind of has that Lennon 'rooftop' vibe.Never going to replace my beloved Fender but be nice to have a bit of humbucker grunt as a change.
 However said guitar has one teensy little problem.Namely the jack socket has fallen inside the body.As anyone who knows this type of guitar will realise this presents a bit of a problem as the only access is via the f-holes,so will involve me fishing around trying to retreive it.Does anyone have  any handy tips for getting it out of there?Once I have it I have the correct size nut to hold it but it's getting to it that's the problem.Cheers.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2010, 03:48

Believe it or not this happened to a guitarist I know years ago.
He used a coat hanger with a big blob of Blu tack on the end.
Once he had it he lined it up with the hole and used needle nosed pliers inserting into the hole of the socket and applying outward pressure to grab.  
Lo tec but hey I'm a drummer after all.   :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 11 2010, 03:54

Funnily enough i'd thought of trying that.I'll give that a go.I love this style of guitar (hey even Mike's got one-except his is the real thing and a fair few years older)but they are not at all user friendly in the maintenance stakes.If and when i opt to go for a pick-up upgrade i pity the techy who fits them.My amp's back from Marshall now after being fixed so i can't wait to crank the beast up through it!

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: June 11 2010, 08:16

I'd suggest a big fuck off magnet, if the material of the jack socket would react to that.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 11 2010, 09:01

Cheers Nabla.If the blu tac doesn't work then i'll look for a big fuck off magnet. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: June 11 2010, 18:26

No please don't use a dirty big magnet. If you get it near the pickups (Providing they are alnico magnets inside) it may mess with the gauss of the magnets and leave you with a dead or near dead pickup.
Use a piece of hooked wire perhaps a bit lighter than a coat hanger. once hooked through the hole slip the washer and nut over the wire and down to the socket.
It's a little fiddily but does not take that long.

emac.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 00:50

Can't stay out of this one! I had an Epi 335 clone years ago, traded "up?" for an Ibanez Artcore 335-ish git with bigsby tremelo. Rid of both now. Both were really made of cheap material. The latter felt like balsa wood. Be that as it may....there is a mechanic's tool you can get here in the US at the dollar store. It is about 2.5 feet long, roughly 3/8 inch width coil/tubular tool. You press the button on the end and prong grips open up on the other end to grab lost bolts/screws etc. while working on your car. Hope this helps. Great tool to have to retrieve nooks lost in crannies.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 21:47

fishing for Jacques Oeurff in some cases,here...

:O

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 09:21

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 12 2010, 00:50)
Can't stay out of this one! I had an Epi 335 clone years ago, traded "up?" for an Ibanez Artcore 335-ish git with bigsby tremelo. Rid of both now. Both were really made of cheap material. The latter felt like balsa wood. Be that as it may....there is a mechanic's tool you can get here in the US at the dollar store. It is about 2.5 feet long, roughly 3/8 inch width coil/tubular tool. You press the button on the end and prong grips open up on the other end to grab lost bolts/screws etc. while working on your car. Hope this helps. Great tool to have to retrieve nooks lost in crannies.
Jim

Sounds like just the job.Got the guitar now.Lovely thing.Quite heavy and very well built which came as a real surprise.Plays nicely too.Now if i can just get that damned socket....

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 18:32

I've got one of those thin curly grabber tools which would be ideal for the job. problem is lending it to you.

So, whilst searching the net for a retailer, i got sidetracked and came across this list of nearly useful (or unuseful) things

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 04:11

Got it fixed with an old .52 gauge string,a bit of cotton,perserverance and a great deal of swearing!2 and a half hours of trying to angle to torch on my phone so i could see and fishing around.I then tentatively plugged it into my little Fender Mini Twin and whadaya know it worked!

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 20 2010, 22:05

I know I'm coming in too late to be of help this time around, but if it happens again in future, you may find that if you take the bridge pickup out, you can get access to the control cavity through the pickup rout. Still a small hole, but easier than trying to do it all through the f hole!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 21 2010, 04:32

That was plan B.Did some research on the subject before i started.Thanks anyway.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 22 2010, 03:11

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 21 2010, 13:05)
You can get access to the control cavity through the pickup rout. Still a small hole, but easier than trying to do it all through the f hole!

Never on the first Date ;)  :)  :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2010, 03:58

Quote (milamber @ June 22 2010, 03:11)
You can get access to the control cavity through the pickup rout. Still a small hole, but easier than trying to do it all through the f hole!

Lol!I was a perfect gentleman and only poked an old string in there! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 22 2010, 05:45

"Ooh Er, Missus!.....No......Don't!"

:laugh:

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 22 2010, 05:58

Quote (milamber @ June 22 2010, 03:11)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
16 replies since June 11 2010, 03:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net