Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: First review of Light + Shade, I HAVE THE FULL DOUBLE ALBUM!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 06:19

I don't want to make anyone here bitter and jealous, but, thanks to my 'contacts' in the music biz i have had the full double album in my posession for the past week, and i can tell you all you will NOT be dissapointed!!

I have sent a first review of the album to amazon UK which should appear in the next day or so, but, just for you i've posted my review below.

Btw the album is in the top 30 on the amazon chart- and this could be a good indication of a better uk chart placing than we were expecting... FINGERS CROSSED.

Reviewer: A music fan from London, United Kingdom
Mike Oldfield continues to produce fascinating music that cannot be categorized as it is so 'unpredictable'- and this new double album is no exception. I have been fortunate to hear a promotional copy of the full album, and can recommend this album to his usual followers, as well as anyone who is interested in discovering music that can take you on a journey.

The 'Light' cd opens with 'Angelique'- a catchy piano hook, which builds up with energetic percussion and trademark Oldfield guitar (which fans will be pleased to hear is prominent throughout the album.) 'Blackbird' is piano-dominated and makes for pleasant listening. 'The gate' features mesmerizing vocals and is thoroughly relaxing. 'First Steps' builds up in classic Oldfield tradition (fans of 'Voyager's' Mont St. Michel will notice some similarities) 'Closer' and 'Our Father' stick with the celtic/Voyager theme. Rocky returns to solo piano/film music (Michael Nyman-like) and disc 1 closes with a beautiful piano-led theme that certainly depicts the title, 'sunset' - OK i'll be honest, this one is a little like the theme to the dire BBC soap ELDORADO :)

For me, the 'Shade' cd contains the stand-out tracks. Fans of Jean Michel Jarre will do well to hear this, as Oldfield gives him a run for his money in the electronica department!
'Quicksilver' is fairly dancy. Nothing 'out of the ordinary' but still good. 'Resolution' contains a strong guitar hook and absorbing vocal harmonies on the words 're-so-lu-tion' and the wailing vocal/guitar passage is superb.
'Slipstream' is standard fare. Very synth-based/techno. 'Surfing' is a kind of 80's revival of Oldfield songs. Great guitar solo- this is one thing listeners will notice- consistently good guitar passages. 'Tears Of An Angel' after the random fast-strings opener breaks into a brilliant, unmistakably Oldfield theme. His obvious genius shines through this track. 'Romance' is just 90's Ibiza with a classical-guitar tune running through. Not his best moment. However, 'Ringscape' is SHEER BRILLIANCE- everything i would want to hear from this exceptional musician. Wailing guitar, moody minor chords and the introduction of Organ which sounds great in the mix. INCREDIBLE STUFF!! 'Nightshade' features an unusual but interesting sound- it's percussion-driven and is very listenable.

My conclusion- Mike Oldfield is often neglected in this country and this is why his music passes people by. It deserves to be given a try.
Profile PM 
Lasse Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 06:24

Damnit you!! :p

I work at a music store myself. Well at the game section of the store...:) I've told them to give me a message ASAP when it arrives.

*goes to call them now!*
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 07:24

Some people in Spain and Germany had also the chance to listen to L + S in full also...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 10:24

Fantastic, sounds exciting, I'm feeling more anxious to get my hands on it now than I was before, the tension is building.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 22:11

really cool!
im waitin and waiting
:)  :D  ;)  :p

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tim Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 16:38

I have been resisting writing a review for a while now, primarily because I'm not really capable of writing the in-depth technical and musical analyses people might want to read. Nevertheless, simmo2005's post inspired me to write down some thoughts - I hope you enjoy reading them.

Rather than attempt to review the album in the traditional fashion, I will review the tracks in the order in which I would rank them; I will start with what I like the least, finishing my review with my favourite track.

Here goes...

Romance
I don't like trance/dance music, and thus don't like this one at all. Mike's distinctive screaming guitar does make an appearance, but it is drowned out by the fast beat and trancey synths.

Closer
Not unpleasant. It plods along, then it finishes. Would not sound out of place on one of the TSODE singles. I think I read somewhere (probably in German on http://oldfield.de) that one of the bonus tracks (presumably Pres de Toi) is this track but with the bagpipes left in. If I interpreted that correctly, I look forward to hearing it when the final release arrives!

Quicksilver
Another dance track. Fans of the seemingly ubiquitous Tubular Bells introduction-style piano will love this track. For those of us who think that this has cropped up too many times before, this track will seem like a bit of a cliché. I just read the description of this track on Mike's site where he says it isn't a dance track. Hmm. Thinking about it, I would say that this track is better if you listen to it whilst trying to imagine the dolphins, underwater movement and bubbles which Mike said he had in mind when he wrote it; there are certainly some bubbly sounds in there!

Nightshade
I wasn't sure if I liked this one or not at first, but listening to it in the car made me realise that it's probably best suited to listening to whilst zooming through the countryside on sunny days than listening to at home. There's not a lot more I can say about this track, really. I like the acoustic guitar and layered vocals, and the timpani are a nice touch, but the rest doesn't really stand out.

Slipstream
Another dancey track which doesn't really stand out, apart from the very eerie Vocaloid section a couple of minutes in. This, coupled with some strange pitch-shifting synth noises give this track quite a dark, eerie feel: totally consistent with the concept of 'shade', I feel.

The Gate
Another eerie track. This is a somewhat experimental piece comprising various Vocaloid voice harmonies and little else. Quite unique. I don't think I've been to the museum in Ypres which inspired this, but I have visited other war memorials and museums in northern France. Keeping these and the vast graveyards of fallen soldiers in mind whilst listening does give this track more depth.

Resolution
I wish I could have ranked this track more highly; it's great. Or rather, it would be great if it wasn't for a wailing Vocaloid voice which is almost physically painful to listen to. I'm guessing that this was a result of the influence the Iraq war had on Mike, since he mentions that happening as he recorded this one. Although Vocaloid is an undeniably interesting development, in my opinion, this track pushes it far beyond its limits. Other than that, this is a good one. The backing strides along forcefully, and the layered vocal parts are interesting.

Our Father
Quite where the papal links in this track are, I'm not sure, but it's not a bad one. A pleasant tune, but it lasts too long.

First Steps
It's nice to hear some more of the themes in MusicVR (TL) being recycled to form a proper track, albeit a slightly disjointed one.

Ringscape
I particularly like the organ that carries this track almost all the way through. Some will be pleased to hear that this one recycles the much-talked-about Owl Cavern theme. It's a nice track.

Angelique
A gentle synth and piano tune start this track, shortly followed by some Vocaloid voices. This is pleasant, but the track gets much better when the bass, organ and guitar parts kick in. I really like the smooth electric guitar sound on this one, and for me, the bass is reminiscent of the Tubular Bells side one finale bassline.

Surfing
As the track supposedly to be released as a single, this is an interesting one. Unlike most of the other tracks, which use Vocaloid mostly for backing or effects, this is a proper song. Its lyrics are quite strange and ambiguous. I would say that the 'surfing' to which they refer is most likely of the Internet variety. I find this track catchy, and have found myself whistling it on more than one occasion!

Blackbird
I love pianos, so I'm probably biased when I put this one in my top five. Quite a moody, emotional track which is mostly piano-based, but has a few bits of swirly synthesiser too. I decided not to read Mike's descriptions of the tracks until I'd listened to them. I wanted to form my own images and see how close I was to what Mike had in mind when he wrote the music. For Blackbird, I imagined Mike was probably inspired by what he could see in his garden on a summer evening. I was therefore quite surprised to read that the title was actually inspired by one of his motorcycles!

Sunset
A variation on the Maestro 'end theme', this track pads out the game music and makes it a lot richer. The acoustic guitar is a welcome addition, and I love the way Mike has used Vocaloid in this track. It's a warm, triumphant end to the first CD. This is another one I can't stop whistling. It's fun to play along to on the keyboard, too!

Rocky
Like I said, I love pianos, and I really like this track. On his site, Mike describes himself a 'lousy pianist'. I disagree. I've always liked Mike's style of playing piano and keyboards, and this track is no exception. It's a lovely melody; relaxing, and thoroughly enjoyable. There is only one bad thing I have to say about this track: its audio quality is terrible. There is a loud hiss all the way through the track which I really hope is fixed on the final release, since it's not subtle, and jumps out at me every time. That said, it doesn't totally spoil it, and I still think it's a great track.

Tears of an Angel
This is by far my favourite track on the album. It starts in a bizarre fashion with a slightly harrowing thirty seconds of discordant strings before almost coming to a halt and launching into a completely different, much more mellow introduction which fits in with the rest of the track. The percussion and backing are great, with plenty of real guitar playing to balance out all the synthy stuff. Although this track is on Shade and has an inherently sad theme (according to Mike's description), I find it a much lighter and more joyful track than Surfing. The layered Vocaloid choir reminds me of The Wind Chimes for some reason, and the guitar solo is possibly the most exciting bit in the entire album. Again, its lyrics are quite strange, but I think they work well with the synthetic nature of the voice singing them.

In summary, I would say that this album demonstrates further how versatile Mike is: he can adapt to new technology and change his style accordingly. For long-time fans looking for traditional Oldfield, there isn't a lot of it to be found in Light + Shade. For people who enjoy electronic music or are willing to accept that Mike's style has indeed changed, it will make a good addition to their CD collection.

My advice: Don't judge it until you've heard it. Buy it and then make up your mind!

--------------
tim@tubular.net
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:02

Hey TubularBelle, your new picture is really grrooovy. :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:09

Humm...my 1000th post is here:

I've had also the chance to listen to it in full before, but it was my wish to stay quiet until the official snippets' were online to listen to.

Well,it's an album that is another one that you'll like it or not.Fans who are narrowminded,are probably going to dislike or hate the album and start asking themselves, "where's the Mike Oldfield I know?".

My comments on the album,in general:

1. Shade features the long lost Mike Oldfield,the guitar player I do love so much and when he does a guitar solo,he rocks a lot in ages.The last time I've seen him on that way was on Far Above The Clouds and Outcast(from TB III) and on Out of Mind(Guitars). I have the impression that Mike enjoyed sooo much playing those solos and the guitar parts !

2. Mike on piano sounds very very good,dunno why he doen't feel he's good also when he's playing it.Come on,the first seconds of Tubular Bells is on piano! Both Blackbird and Rocky are tunes which are very cinematic,sounding like those piano pices you'll fine in some soundtracks.I'm impressed a lot with the result.

3. The Tres Lunas(The Game) tunes boosted up: both First Steps(with quotes from Tres Lunas,the song) and Ringscape(aka previosly as Snow Cavern Flight in Tres Lunas II) are very very nice. Loved the organ on Ringscape!

4. The Dancey Tunes: Both Quicksilver and Nightshade are fab as dance tunes,in a trance-Mike Oldfield way.From both tunes,a fav is Nightshade.Loved since the first listen.

On Nightshade is clear the positive influence of Christhopher von Deylen(Schiller) on the track,and if you listen to Schiller's songs @ his website,you'll find out the reasons both went to work together.I'm anxious to hear Mike's imput on Schiller's album and hope to see them collaborating again in the future,maybe some remixes. Quicksilver kicks off Shade in a very positive way,like Angelique does for Light.Hummm...like it also,very much.Different.

5. Electronica factor on L + S : it's deeper than you'll find in TB III and on the track Millennum Bell in the Shade part.
On Light is a blend of TSODE + Tres Lunas in a different way.

6. What I've heard on Resolution and Tears of an Angel are a  hybrid which features elements from rock and electronica,mixed in a way that impressed me a lot.More stuff on his next efforts in this path would be very nice to hear!

7. Acoustic instruments : a postive point for Mike on L + S, if on TSODE they didn't appear, on L + S yes,and perfectly used on each track they appear. So, it's not 100% eletronical like TSODE. Why complaing it!

8. Mike getting even further on trance-Mike Oldfield way: like Steve Hillage on System 7, I enjoyed so much Mike's efforts on that. Also looking foward to hear more on his next albums !

9. About Light the album: better than Tres Lunas in terms of chillout/ambient themes, although I don't consider Angelique as one of those.Hightlights are Angelique, both piano tunes, First Steps and Sunset.

About Shade the album : it's addictive,even with moments like Romance and Slipstream that took me a while to get used to them. I can easily listen to tracks 1 up to 8 nonstop.Congrats Mike on that. I was anxious to hear Shade than Light first,since the biggest surprises are on that album. Me happy with the final result for dark,moody Shade !!!

10. Conclusion

I'd say the tunes on  Light + Shade matched up perfectly regarding the concept of each album.

Mike's mood, even on Shade tracks, is better than never.Self-confident and stronger. There hasn't got any sad track,even Tears of an Angel.

The Vocaloid has got the same effect the vocoder did in the past on Mike's work(the difference that Vocaloid is a software,not a keyboard with a microphone to make robotic your voice!;). Different and innovative.

Tim's comments regarding what you'll find on L + S in terms of dissapointing for traditional Oldfield fans as well as fans ready for technological Mike.

Light + Shade shows me off clearly why I do love so much Mike Oldfield : a wide variety of styles in a Mike Oldfield way, without losing his musical personality, incorporating sounds that hooked him on and transforing into  emotional music with a difference, that touches you deeper in your soul.

The best album since TB III(and not considering TB 2003 which doesn't count since it was the great rerecording of TB),for sure. And Mike's new direction is approved,IMHO.

You've rocked a lot on Light + Shade, Mike...keep the good music going and don't forget to be yourself, it doen't care if the fans will like it or not, listen to your own feelings and hit the "go" button  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:14

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 22 2005, 18:09)
One of the best since TB III,for sure. And Mike's new direction is approved,IMHO.

There are only three others between L&S and TB3 (not counting TB2003). "One of the best" of a total of four is faint praise. Is it better than that?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:17

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 22 2005, 19:14)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 22 2005, 18:09)
One of the best since TB III,for sure. And Mike's new direction is approved,IMHO.

There are only three others between L&S and TB3 (not counting TB2003). "One of the best" of a total of four is faint praise. Is it better than that?

For me:

Guitars is very good.

The Millennum Bell is my least fav MO album.

Tres Lunas is good.

Light + Shade rocks.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Tim Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:23

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 22 2005, 23:02)

No, it isn't. It's irritating things like that which caused me to set up my account to hide avatars and signatures as I browse the forum.

--------------
tim@tubular.net
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 19:02

Yeah moving avatars are really irritating, they just distract you when you're trying to read.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 20:47

but her avatars is funny!!! ha ha ha * laugh
:laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 21:18

The avatar is gone, just wanted to get a laugh or two, wasn't planning on keeping it, I thought it was funny, thanks Harmono and Tubularman.

@ Tati, Congratulations on your 1000th post and an excellent review.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 02:54

Quote (Tim @ Sep. 22 2005, 18:23)
Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 22 2005, 23:02)

No, it isn't. It's irritating things like that which caused me to set up my account to hide avatars and signatures as I browse the forum.

Tubularbelle, I cannot pretend that your avatar didn't command my attention.However,I like to laugh and it WAS funny :laugh: and now it's away,so no harm done eh ;)

It's nice to see so much effort has gone into L+S reviews,and interesting to read all the different opinions on it up to now. :)
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 03:45

Great reviews!  Now I really can't wait, even more so than before! :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 06:27

Well I've not heard any more than the odd snippet off the new L&S microsite and what I've caught through the great posts here. Actually, I really enjoy the excitement of unwrapping the CD and looking at the blurb and wrapping, its a bit like opening a birthday present.

But what I feel about his style is that I can enjoy so many of his albums so much, that I am keen to have something that challenges me. So its not whether its techno or tubular or whatever that concerns me, just how it sounds after a severe listening to. And of course, you don't do your best work all the time. The samples from L&S sound very interesting, and I do have a good feeling about it.

Its a mark of Oldfield's versatility and range that he can upset some of his keen fans. If Elton John produced a suitable successor to Ommadawn one would be a trifle shocked. (Or if made of jelly, one would be a shocked trifle.) So if its a touch unfamiliar here and there, good news, I say!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 06:38

I like it when Mike does a bit of everything because then there is a bit of something for everyone.

I wouldn't dare to try and write a review based on 30 second snippets, so I will write 5 second snippets.

Angelique-Tres Lunas inspired, dancing maidens, guys with drums.

Blackbird-God I love the piano, made me think of rippling water.

The Gate-Haunting vocals, a young girl in church, preying for love perhaps.

First Steps-Like a Movie Score, a lone rider, somewhere in Spain or Mexico.

Closer-The rider is now laying in a field canoodling with his sweetheart.

Our Father-Lovers casually sitting on their horses wandering through the countryside.

Rocky-Lovers making love and then fighting because he is leaving to make his fortune.

Sunset-She is dancing on the beach and he runs to her to reunite.

Obviously got a different vibe from the second cd. I love this album and this is the perfect scenario for me because I would not have wanted a whole album like this if it was all that was on offer (like pigging out on chocolate and making yourself sick) but as a Dessert to the Main Meal I think it is splendid.

Quicksilver-I can exercise to that.

Resolution-Slow dance after dinner. Romantic.

Slipstream-Dancey, hotting up.

Surfing-Don't like the vocals much or the lyrics.

Tears of an Angel-Good solid piece, I don't even mind the singing in this.

Romance-Dance my butt off to this!

Ringscape-Atmospheric, expressive.

Nightshade-Light, name doesn't suit the song.

This cd needs a couple of full on heavy guitar riff songs, maybe they are in there, just not in the bits that I heard.

I'm sure people have asked about the lyrics to Surfing before but it is only one word I can't get.

2nd verse
'morning and evening,
I'm flying and  
I can't keep it out of my head
'

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 08:10

Have you seen the signs in my eyes? Be warned. Believe it.
Have you seen the phases in my skies? We can't conceive it.

Surfing, I'm surfing. I'm hooked and I'm searching. I've fallen right into the net!
Morning and evening, I'm flying and dreaming; oh, can't keep it out of my head!

Surfing, I'm surfing. I'm hooked and I'm searching. I've fallen right into the net!
Morning and evening, I'm flying and dreaming; oh, can't keep it out of my head!

Gitarren Solo

Surfing, I'm surfing. I'm hooked and I'm searching. I've fallen right into the net.
Morning and evening, I'm flying and dreaming; oh, can't keep it out of my head.

Morning and evening, I'm playing and keeping; oh, can't keep it out of my head!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
18 replies since Sep. 21 2005, 06:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net