Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: first impressions, and some wishes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 06 2003, 09:09

the first feeling i got with the tube world was that somehow it was "colder" than mvr, even when there's a improvement in some aspects i didn't find in the demo what i find in mvr, relaxing moments in places to enjoy music and images (i go insane in the plane chasing scene :D)

i've always wished that mvr and 'whatever-he-finally-calls-it' were linked places cause i thought of them as parts of the same project. don't know how, but sure it's even possible to connect them, maybe by a patch or something, so it were possible to go from one to the other...  well, just a dream.
after trying the tube world and being aware that it was a demo, i thought that finally it would be more an attempt to use the (expected) boost from tb2003 rather than a "natural" sequel of what happens in mvr and it didn't work well for me.

now reading what he last said in his site and watching the new pics i'm glad to see he is letting the bells rest at least for a while, going on with the 'mvr style' instead of making one more "tubular product". i'm glad to see some continuity of tr3s lunas taste and also, as blue dolphin said in the news forum, elements such as the flying statues that first appeared in 'the wind chimes' where it was already the seed of mvr.

i maybe wrong, but i have the feeling that it could be possible we'll find new music in it, i'd love so.

looking forward to its release!
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2003, 15:34

i hope that there is new music also, i dont want to be paying for TB 2003 with graphics!
original music would be a huge selling point to all his fans, so lets hope that the new "MusicVR" is not just a game full of the bells! hehe  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
DEATH
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 14 2004, 02:45

i'm dissapinted, the demo has the same terrible graphics errors as old one. Mike should fire his programmers or tell them to learn some more about computer graphics, and why wrapping the same detail texture 100 times gives really baad result. Also  doing something like this without any occlusion culling is insane. Just look there http://www.planeshift.it it's a freeware internet based game that uses quite nice occlusion culling and has great graphics, you should learn from them (maybe join forces?) I will not write about artistic part of the new vr-game, it will probably be great, but i'm sure that Mike should care more about technical details of the project.
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 14 2004, 08:26

I think that Mike cares as far as wanting it to be better, he's said before that he wished it could be more realistic...he also has his certain ways of working, of course.

I think it's fair to say that the expertise of Mike's programmer, Colin (there's only one) is in 3D editing software - Mike used some of Colin's software in creating his prototype Music VR on his Silicon Graphics machine. Much of Mike's choice was out of familiarity; he knew Colin and wanted to work with him. He also didn't want a large team working on the project (I notice that even planeshift has a large development team, huge compared to Mike's, and that's not including the number of people developing the Crystal Shift engine it's based on). That's of course meant Colin learning a lot about 3D games development in the process.

Colin's a nice guy. If you have some suggestions for him, you can send them along to the guys at mikeoldfield.org, along with a nice note, and they will pass it all on to him. Suggesting that he should go and learn more about computer graphics would, however, not be a good way of getting him to listen...
Profile PM 
DEATH
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 15 2004, 03:19

well.. don't take me wrong, if it was bad, i would ignore it, i only criticise things that i like and i would want to be perfect. The texturing error is quite common in gfx applications and not everyone knows where it comes from and how to fight it (if you want to see difference look at this example http://server.lomianki.pl/5545/docs/badziew/terrain.zip that's my little terrain rendering demo) fixing the error is like 10 lines of code or less and some restrictions on models
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 15 2004, 10:35

If it's that easy to fix, I'd think it's even more worth your while getting in touch and passing your suggestions across - seriously, send across some examples, sample code, whatever you think would help. As long as you word it nicely, I'm sure it will be received with much interest by Colin.

Send it over to info@mikeoldfield.org and say you'd like it passed on to Colin Dooley. If you get no reply from them, let me know.
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2004, 12:51

Heres a wish - an accompanying album. maybe a little Amaroky.  but with all the time spent on MVR there probably wont be one for a while.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
6 replies since Dec. 06 2003, 09:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net