Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: First Impressions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 15:48

Well, having been sold out at Play.com literally from the day of release, my (pre-ordered  :/  ) copy arrived this morning and I have played it all of the way through once. Interesting.

On first listen of Light, I thought Angelique is a cracker - a fine example of how Mike can compose a really great tune and arrange it all so perfectly. Unfortunately, the next couple of tracks go downhill from there - Blackbird I found plodding and The Gate is a dirge in my opinion. Thankfully, First Steps really hits a peak for me - super track, plenty of changes and a fabulous bit of sequencing in the second half of the track. Closer is Tattoo 2 without the bagpipes and Our Father is not bad but drags on a little perhaps. Rocky hits another low but thankfully Sunset is a good track and a lovely lift at the end of Light. Prés De Toi is a bit of a throwaway really but it is a bonus and I always enjoy extras.

Now over to Shade. Quicksilver is a cracker. I may be a prog dinosaur but I do like my Euphoria albums too - infectious beats and ideal for the gym! Resolution is great too, I like it when Mike rocks. Things are looking up. I won't go further into track by track analysis on Shade now, but suffice to say I prefer it because it is more lively and far from being darker, I actually find it a more uplifting listening experience. But remember, this is on first listen.

If there is one aspect that spoils Shade though, it is the use of computerised vocals. This isn't a criticism of Mike, merely my opinion on first listen - opinions can change and I need to listen far more prior to voting in some of the polls for instance. However, I would simple prefer to hear Maggie Reilly or similar rather than a vocoder for the 21st Century. Tears of an Angel for instance, is a great track with a beautiful guitar work but those vocals?  :/ I don't agree with opinions that this is a lazy effort from Mike. I think the range of music across both albums is huge. I think the guitar and bass work is as good as ever - if a little more subtle than some of his earlier work. But perhaps where I do agree with many is that I still prefer Mike to work with a drummer rather than a drum machine, a vocalist rather than a vocoder and so on. There is more emphasis on piano in a few tracks on Light and I think I have said before, Mike's best work in my opinion is when keyboards support the lead line but don't become it and frankly, his piano work is not the best. Still, I am pleased overall and on balance and considering I only paid £8.99 via Play - it is a bargain; I would have paid £8.99 for a CD single of Mike's so to get a double CD is fabulous. :D

And what about Lakme? I have loved this tune for years - courtesy of TV adverts, yet I had never got around to sourcing it. Well, Mike's arrangement works for me. I appreciate that Eurobeats aren't everyone's cup of tea, but rather like TubularBelle wrote on another thread, since TBIII didn't deliver as much dance as I expected, Shade has plugged a gap for me in terms of Mike's output.

There's plenty to listen to and absorb further over these two rather diverse albums so these opinions may well be subject to change over the coming weeks.  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 16:39

That extensive series of opinions of yours on the 'Light' CD is astoundingly close to what I'd have written myself, T4 - an observation all the more extraordinary since consistency of opinion on L and S is not something that's easy to find. Even the words you use - 'plodding' for the piano work on Blackbird, for example - are those I'd choose myself.

When we start on 'Shade' we diverge more, but that's mainly because I have a very low tolerance of trance/dance stuff. About the synthetic vocals - like you I'm unsure, but the more I listen, the more interesting they become in some cases ('Surfing' for instance) and the worse they get in others (I'm growing to loathe all those 'Our Father's). I'll be interested to see how time affects your own responses.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:02

Thanks for your response Alan. Yes, time will tell. Already I find myself in a situation where given time constraints and my desire to sit down and listen properly to the album as opposed to accepting a more vague listen as background music to other activities, I am skipping tracks. This is something I would never have done with a vinyl LP but which the CD medium encourages. The danger of course is that those tracks which I found tedious on first listen, will not receive the attention they perhaps deserve.

Note to self: Set aside 2 hours this evening to listen to the whole album again from start to finish!  

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:06

It's a pitty I don't have Lakme and Pres de Toi aren't on my CD.
I'm really curious on how they sound.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Oct. 08 2005, 15:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net