Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Finally got the book!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2002, 17:17

Well, after much searching in charity shops, i FINALLY found The Songs Of Distant Earth...hopefully once I've read it it shall give me a deeper understanding and appreciation of Mike's work - has anyone already read the book, and what did you think? (try not to give any spoilers - thats why I haven't checked for opinions at amazon!)...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 03 2002, 21:05

It's interesting to see where the works converge and where they depart from each other. I think that the album stands up well in its own right, and it certainly follows a different path to that of the story. I like Mike's abstract interpretation of the novel.

The longer it gets since I read the book, the less I remember, but I quite liked it at the time.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 06 2002, 05:32

I really like the book. Its quite an interesting premise, and I think it worked quite well. Some of it was a bit wierd, especially the chapter Ascension. I won't give any of the plot away (unless you want me to...) but it is meant to be a 'realistic' science fiction story. I also think that the album is great to listen to when you're reading the novel!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
2 replies since June 03 2002, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net