Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Finale, The group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jonnyw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 07 2005, 11:13

Wow! thats beter than i expected, and im looking into creating my own group project... your peice has made me think a lot about the bell on tb2... but big congratulations!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 16:16

Listening to Korgscrew's "Blunderstorm" reminded me that I'd intended to comment here earlier. What a fine accomplishment this is. I expect it was as enjoyable for the musicians as it was to me as a listener. Certainly, everyone played beautifully, and that last acoustic part at the end made me a bit teary-eyed.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 05 2008, 18:18

great someone bumped this topic, I just feel a bit sad that it's already over...  :/

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 06 2008, 05:00

Well, apparently Mike said he would be interested to see what we could come up with compositionally, rather than a 1:1 copy (approximately). Perhaps tubular.net can collectively try to compose and record a new piece.

The problem with that is, how on earth do you decide how to move forward? How do you decide which bit to use over what, what to compose over what... what style, hell, even what instruments to play!  :/

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 07 2008, 16:12

it's simple, it's not going to work...this idea is utopic...

why?
there is so many different musicians, different personalities and all the musicians come from a different background...what was the connection between these so different people? love to mike's music...that's why we all were able to work together.

If you want a group of so much different people to work together, you gotta put them into a sort of a "frame" a basic idea of what you want to achieve, then it's possible.

But I bet TB.net's musicians won't ever be able to agree on agreeing to agreeing that agreeing to this would make it possible :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 20:10

I think the way to do it would be to have a core group of musical ideas - audio, MIDI, tab, whatever - that everyone could draw on and make their own thing from. Kind of like Garageband loops ;)

Then compositionally it would belong to everyone but each person would be their own producer by filtering it and picking out the bits that they like to make a longer piece.

Put a few of these disparate longer pieces together and they are bound to share some elements, and you'd be getting towards a thematic album.

I should probably mention that I'm listening to Big Blue Ball as I write this, which is a vaguely similar idea (although all the artists and musicians were in the same place) but it took 17 years to make an album out of it.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2008, 09:16

If such a project were possible I'd love to be a part of it. However, last time this idea was pitched the creator had way too much control and the result wasn't even as good as some of the earlier ideas that everyone had posted.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 12:47

I can't believe it's been 5 years already...

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 13:58

BOOsTER, I'm glad to see that you're still in for a cooperation like this. Like MusicallyInspired already said the last efford wasn't all that of a succes. As I remember it really scared you off.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 17:23

oblique: I'm sorry if it seemed so, but I am definitely not going to join any more group projects or whatever anyone wants to call it...

As a cover thing, it *might* work, with a good team and good guy to lead and arrange the teamwork, I'm sure that 90% of the success of the Finale Project was Richard's (Korgscrew) effort to make it work along with Crises...but really it's never going to work if you try to make an original piece with a bunch of musicians who have so many different styles like the guys here...

Only thing was that I remembered it was 5 years already and ... I don't know, just wanted to say WOW :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2008, 08:44

Only thing was that I remembered it was 5 years already and ... I don't know, just wanted to say WOW  

It means you're getting old  :laugh:

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2008, 12:14

you're pretty much right  :(  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Glen Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 12:20

Hey chaps. I'm new to this place and I've just listened to your efforts and I have to say I'm bowled over! Absolutely brilliant stuff - like listening to a remix that the man himself might have done.
Like most of us on here I know the album inside out and I have to say that it's almost uncanny how you managed to replicate the piece so precisely.

Credit where credit's due, all you people involved in this take a bow because you've achieved something extremely impressive.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 27 2009, 22:50

Why, thank you.

So....what shall we do next, chaps? I'm sure 5 years is a long enough break to tackle another. :D

In all seriousness though, I'd still like to do that Taurus II cover I wanted to do someday. Seems to be getting harder and harder to do this stuff nowadays.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 28 2009, 06:45

just hearing this now...I think the bassriff going through it could be a bit more intense. I think it should have more attack. The glockenspiel sounds a bit odd as well.

But the playing, the guitars, the mandolins...gorgious :D

huge respect...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 03 2009, 20:48

I think it's probably fair to say that everyone involved would do it differently now; I can see lots of ways the mix could be made more subtle, for example...but...it was a child of its time. We could do a Mike Oldfield and keep doing it again, but I think that unlike Mike, nobody involved with doing Finale would really fancy doing the same thing again ;)

One thought that we've talked about every now and then for the past year or so is maybe doing something a bit like this, but actually as part of a meet-up somewhere. We'd have a set of "how to sound like Mike" workshops (basically going over the same kinds of topics which get asked regularly on the forum, but face to face - covering playing technique, use of effects, etc) then apply all that to recording a short piece of music. Would that kind of thing be interesting to anyone?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 03 2009, 23:49

That would be brilliant -- a thing I'd absolutely love to take part in (if someone could pay my trip, :) ), and I hope you manage to find volunteers, because the results could potentially be spectacular.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 04 2009, 05:53

indeed, count me in :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 20:18

Yes, absolutely! :)
Profile PM 

Posted: July 21 2009, 21:38

If I was in the UK, yes.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
103 replies since Oct. 31 2003, 10:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net