Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Finale, The group project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04 2003, 14:05

sorry didnt mean to offend anyone, just ment that its the ultimate opinion!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 04 2003, 14:31

you did not :)
but it might make the other people feel their comments are not important :) but they are :)
that's all ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2003, 21:40

Very impressive and well done!  Sounds professional and even authentic!  The guitar finale with the Tubular Bells sounds Oldfield-ish!  Be proud; this is something special!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2003, 23:48

Thanks for the comment on the guitar (I assume you mean the distortion guitar) it had the effect I was going for, I'm glad to see ;).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ecco
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 04 2003, 23:56

"..The whole project has been an example of building bridges..."

And burning them too, I guess. Congrats and good luck to all of you!
I doubt we would have been able to contribute anyway...
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 01:18

and thx for the comment on the bells :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ommadawn69
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 05:06

WOW, very well done all of you. I loved it. And it was nice that Fanny sent it Mike. You should be very proud of what you guys did. Good to see two canadians in there. Excellent. take care. Craig.
tommes Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 06:32

Hello,
I´ve heard your MP3 now, and I have to praise you all.
This sounds really professional. I like very much the
Production, and I have a special question to the producer.
How do you can make it, in the lower volume passages
(like the beginning of this piece), the volume is relatively
low but it has enough ee´mm pressure/power (sorry, I´m
not shure in these words but I´m hope you understand what
I mean). Is there a secret ? Or has it to do with the
Soundcard-quality ( I´m using only a AWE 64 Soundblaster
with 16 bit/48000 Hz ) ?
For an answer (maybe Korgscrew) I would be very thankful
because I have some problems with this.
As I said before, great job guys, go on.
                                                       Tommes
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 06:56

Quote (tommes @ Nov. 05 2003, 12:32)
How do you can make it, in the lower volume passages
(like the beginning of this piece), the volume is relatively
low but it has enough ee´mm pressure/power (sorry, I´m
not shure in these words but I´m hope you understand what
I mean). Is there a secret ? Or has it to do with the
Soundcard-quality ( I´m using only a AWE 64 Soundblaster
with 16 bit/48000 Hz ) ?

Hehe I am glad I can be once helpful to you :D I hope my answer will give u a clue :)
for this one could use a compressor or a maximizer...
Basically it counts the peak value and adds compression of the parts which are over desired peak...and in the lower areas it gives more power (as u said it)
Very good compressors are now by waves...the C1 Comp, C4 Comp (which is also a paragraphic equalizer with compression with different parametres for each band)
or you can just use the L1 maximizer :)
well I hope I was correct with explaining the compression basics...if not someone will give it to the right thing (Richard usually does it, after I confuse someone asking a question).
And hmm about the soundcard I think it doesn't really have anything to do with that :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 09:11

I'd say there are a lot of factors at work in making parts sound more powerful.
Compression is certainly one - in the case of the beginning of Finale, there's fairly light compression and limiting over the whole mix (mostly serving the purpose of smoothing it all out, adding a tiny bit more punch, and helping the individual elements to just gel together a little better), then the guitar and bass parts both have a compressor over them, again fairly light (though more than over the mix), just evening things out a little. That certainly does contribute a fair bit to adding power to it, but other things do as well...

The guitar, bass and organ parts at the beginning have all been run through a subtle valve preamp type overdrive, which has had the effect of adding in extra high end harmonics. Those additional harmonics can give an impression of something being more powerful. The bass organ part came from an analogue synthesiser, which again means there are subtle distortions in its sound which lend it a more powerful edge.

The EQ on them also has its part to play, and is really linked to what I said about harmonics from the overdrive. Having more high end (i.e. treble) in bassy sounds helps them feel more powerful, as does having a good amount of bass end (hifi systems sometimes have a 'loudness' control which introduces a 'smile curve' characteristic to the sound - that is, it boosts the low and high frequencies, in a way that, if it was shown as a graph, or if you set it up on a graphic equaliser, it would form a curve like a smile :)). That's not to rule out the midrange either...that has its part to play as well. Generally, things were tweaked so that they cut through by the right amount, using whatever settings necessary.

The effect of the soundcard is going to be more likely on the amount of detail in quiet sounds than on the perceived 'power' of them. In the case of this track, the parts were recorded with all manner of cards, so I think the soundcard can be ruled out as a factor really.

I hope that gives at least some kind of an answer!
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 11:29

I am most impressed by this musical performance from you. Very good work. It is very enjoyable to listen to.

Next time you guys comes up with an idea like this, I would happily join the project. I am a quite good piano player, even though it was some time since I really played the piano :)

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2003, 11:44

Crises has started another project of a sectino on Crises if you want to join that one :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
VetleMakt Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2003, 09:40

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 02 2003, 12:33)
I sent the mp3 file to Mike and he really liked it... He was very impressed by it...
One of his suggestions, because what you've done is really good, is for you to create your own composition.

There you go...
Composition next, then? Would be a killer album, no doubt.

Vetle Skatvoldsmyr, Trondheim

--------------
Aberdeen, Sundsvall, Århus, Cardiff, Sevilla, Gdansk, Napoli -
Never been there.
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2003, 16:59

VERY IMPRESSIVE!  :D  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 16 2003, 14:42

Only now have I discovered this. Congratulations, I think it's a very good job. Especially I like how the right-channel distorted guitar plays along freely, adding some melodies that (I think) are not there in the original. Also the keyboard sounds... each one modern, clear, crisp - and at the same time perfectly supporting the overall 'vintage' feeling of this piece...  :D  :cool:  ;)
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2003, 14:46

Me unregistered? :(  Nah...

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Simon Goodman (Student)
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 19 2003, 08:08

The Finale music is such a pleasure to listen to, I listen to it time and time again! An exellent piece of music.
Thomas
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 20 2004, 07:57

Well done, people.
I was only surprised how long the git/organ part in the beginning is. But I guess you used to play it exactly as on the record. I never found this boring; maybe Mike played it with a bit more /different way of dynamics in-between. Also you can hear the noise of the recording "breathe" sometimes because of the very low dynamic. Subtle differences... Here on your version IMHO it could have been a bit shorter...
Don't you want to tell us a bit how it was done (I mean, has everybody who played an instrument taken the record & found out his part note-by-note or has someone some sort of "orchestration"? How did everybody record it? What instruments did you use (real ones, analogue, digital, even virtual instruments only?). Did it all happend only by sending via internet?

Personaly I think the mix is a bit too bright (or maybe some instruments only). The choir at the end is - for me - a not so very personal solution. My idea would be (for example) to use the 8-choir of a Mellotron ;-) but it sounds not so soft...
The organs could have been softer, so it's very much more "organ sound on a synth"-type. Must say that I'am a great analogue organ fan (esp. of MO & David Bedford recordings...) so I don't like it that much. Guitars are great. Mandolin - a real one???

Greetings
Thomas
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 20 2004, 09:32

very good production - i enjoyed it alot!
except !
the 2 slightly destorted are rather too distorted than slightly. sound very authentic though but a terriblr terriblr feel. I dont know if u improvised or was insecure by the recording but the feel is far from being oldfield style dispite the accuracy of the sound. many notes are wrong.
as the distortion enters the mix is already too high, and when it fades it is still way to loud till the second it is totaly gone.
Left right automation games are too noticed and should be blaired abit to my hamble opinion. Great job though- good sounding !
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 20 2004, 15:06

Quote (Yuval @ Jan. 20 2004, 14:32)
sound very authentic though but a terriblr terriblr feel. I dont know if u improvised or was insecure by the recording but the feel is far from being oldfield style dispite the accuracy of the sound. many notes are wrong.

Do you mean the distorted guitar, or the track as a whole (I kind of guess the former, but I can read the statement to mean the latter as well)?

If you mean just the distorted guitar, then I guess I should let Brandon do the talking. I like what he did, though, and I'm sure that by the time he's been playing as long as Mike, he'll be every bit as good as the man himself.

If on the other hand you mean the feel of the track as a whole, then I suppose I'm the one to come out with the excuses. Mike Oldfield had a distinct advantage over the musicians here when he recorded Tubular Bells in that he could hear the parts which he was playing along to - as you'll know from doing your own recordings, that helps rather a lot with regards to feel! I suppose it would in theory have been possible to record all the parts in sequence and pass rough mixes around for people to play along to, but it would have been incredibly fiddly, would have meant that people couldn't record their parts when they wanted to, as happened here (the bass, for example, which we would have needed first were a rough mix to be passed round, was about the last thing to be added) and wasn't something I was prepared to do at the time!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the aspects of the mix you highlighted as well. I'd agree in saying that the distorted guitar is forward - perhaps part of a regressing-to-teenage rock and roll fantasy on my part ;) Especially at the end, I think it needs to be loud, where it really soars above everything else - perhaps one of the biggest changes from the original. Some will like it, some won't, I suppose...
The instrument panning I based as closely as I could on the original, by noting key points in each instrument's travel. I'm sure it's not exact, as that would have taken forever (I seem to remember spending quite a long session on that aspect as it was, I think more than one in fact), but it was close enough to keep me happy. I would imagine that the stereo imaging on this version is rather more precise than on the 1973 original, which no doubt accounts for a lot - I don't have the 2003 edition, so don't have that as a comparison. Of course if you're hearing them all going the whole way from left to right, then something's wrong - after the glockenspiel they end up closer to the centre.

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Profile PM 
103 replies since Oct. 31 2003, 10:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net