Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fender headstock, why so ugly?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 13:19

It didn't really bother me until now, where for the 1st time, I'm on the market for an electric guitar. I really don't like the shape of it, it looks like they really wanted to have an almost complete circle at the end, the circle looks forced and the tuning pegs are already circles, that ruined the whole design, why, why, why? The circle seems useless, it looks like a hole is missing inside it to hang the guitar to a nail.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 13:54

Thats absolute rubbish.

The headstock for me.......................is the shape of a treble cleff.Totally music related and distinguished.
The shape of the guitars body was designed to fit comfortably with anyone.
The unique sound is created by single coil pick..ups. Unique to Fender. A lot of pick up designers copy its structure.
How can you sit there writing like that when you know absolutely nothing about guitars. One day you'll switch on and see one living in your living room, because maybe one day you'll be wanting that fender SOUND.
Are you going to tell me that PRS is better..........maybe an Ibanez. Well sadly those manufacturers would buy the Strat patent tomorrow if it came up for sale.
Swith on to its beauty or just say nothing.IMHO
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 14:04

Treble clef?!? More like the shape of a nun.

Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 14:54

Sorry Kev, but I've gotta agree with Olive (yeah that's yer n00 name) on this one. Not a fan of the Strat headstock. I prefer the Gibson actually.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 15:01

Gibson not great either, looking like a mustache.

Ibanez looks like a weapon.

PRS.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 15:06

Well maybe yer just too picky! :D
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 15:12

Actually, why on earth is this thread here? :D

Shame on you, Olivier! You otta know better. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 15:23

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 03 2011, 19:19)

It didn't really bother me until now, where for the 1st time, I'm on the market for an electric guitar. I really don't like the shape of it, it looks like they really wanted to have an almost complete circle at the end, the circle looks forced and the tuning pegs are already circles, that ruined the whole design, why, why, why? The circle seems useless, it looks like a hole is missing inside it to hang the guitar to a nail.

http://www.vintagerocker.com/fender/headstock.html

http://www.tdpri.com/resources/fender-guitar-headstock-shapes
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 04:47

You bunch of no good heathens. The two greatest electric guitars ever made are the Fender Stratocaster, and the Gibson Les Paul.
I would suggest that you all concentrate on what the bloody thing does instead of worrying about its looks.
Shall we list the great guitarists who have used them for most of their respective carreers, or, better still shall we list the great gutarists who haven't...........THAT'LL BE THE SHORT LIST. Plonkers. :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 04:49

Ooooooooooo and I meant to add........Great Topic.... Ollie. :cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 07:43

Oh, don't get me wrong, they're both great guitars.

But my next purchase will be a PRS.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:05

Quote (Syd B @ Aug. 04 2011, 13:43)
Oh, don't get me wrong, they're both great guitars.

But my next purchase will be a PRS.

What a real one or one of those cheap Korean things ?

Don't expect the Oldfield sound from that, coz you aint gonna get it. Mind you I suppose yew maght jus' git thur look.

You'll gaze at it and think Sheeeet ah could have bought something like a well played, set up Strat for thate money.

Yew know..............something thate will hold its value.  :cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:11

Bah! :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:29

Yeh yewer laffing now and we aint even got onto thur subject of thur Telecaster. Ah got whun o' them en all.

Oh and dont forget Syd B when you gets good enough to do session work and walks into the studio carryin your imposter, and gets it out the case, only to be told " We whunt be wanting thate sound. If you haven't got a Strat........you haven't got a job " :p  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:34

I'm already doin' session work, Kev. With a $300 acoustic. :D

Well, sorta session work... soundtrack work really.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:41

Comon then Syd tell us all about it. Yew know it aint all about cost. Its whut you do with thur geetar thats far more important. I'm hpoing they'll ask yew for a nice electric sound en all. Yew know " Could you bring your Strat in tomorrow. We're presuming you've got one. Well you're a guitarist of course you have. " :laugh:  :O
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:46

:laugh:

I don't think so, the guy's going for a light, Appalachian acoustic flavor. It's a documentary about the (rather interesting, actually) rise and fall of a nearby town. He's trying to get PBS interested. :cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 08:54

Quote (Syd B @ Aug. 04 2011, 14:46)
:laugh:

I don't think so, the guy's going for a light, Appalachian acoustic flavor. It's a documentary about the (rather interesting, actually) rise and fall of a nearby town. He's trying to get PBS interested. :cool:

Ooooo that sounds intrestin Syd. Hope everything works out.
Wull ah guess yew whunt be needin a Strat then.

Hey Ollie if ...............you put up a picture of an original Strat headstock. You'll find that there should be the Contour badge in the centre of that circle. Thats what it was used for.

;)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 13:02

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 03 2011, 17:19)
why, why, why?

Hey, this is a Mike Oldfield forum - no 'why' questions! ;)

More seriously though, while I suppose nobody knows exactly why that one was chosen over whatever other possibilities were considered at the time (other than that Leo Fender and his team obviously felt it suited the instrument best), it's at least possible to get an idea of how they arrived at it...

Fender headstocks weren't always like the 6-a-side designs we know now - the first prototypes of what became the Fender Broadcaster used a 3-a-side headstock:

At some point, someone must have realised that a 6-a-side design would give a straighter string pull - meaning less friction at the nut and therefore better tuning stability (though of course it's only one of many factors).

The 6-a-side headstocks seem like something that could only be children of the electric age, but actually, you'll have to look back rather further than the 1950s to find their origins, as this headstock, from a guitar built around 1820 in the Vienna workshop of Johann Stauffer, shows:

Stauffer's most notable pupil was a certain Christian Friedrich Martin, who later moved to New York City. He carried on making guitars in the USA with the Stauffer-style headstock, though of course it's no longer the style you'd associate with guitars bearing the C.F. Martin name!

It's interesting to compare the Stauffer headstock to the scroll of a violin viewed side-on:

If you ask me where the idea for the 'circle' came from, that would be my best guess!

I'd of course not be doing my bit here if I didn't also mention Paul Bigsby. You'll have seen his name on the vibrato units that he designed, but he also made guitars, including this famous one that he built for country musician Merle Travis in 1947:

That's a whole 7 years before the Fender Stratocaster appeared...but perhaps I'll come back to that in a moment.

Not a 6-a-side design, but perhaps setting a further precedent for superfluous 'circular' bits on headstocks is this headstock of a 1900 F-style mandolin built by Orville Gibson:

Orville Gibson was interested in bringing elements of violin construction to fretted instruments, so it's highly likely that his headstock scrolls were influenced by violin scrolls (a more direct reference is the scroll on the F-style's body, which it would seem the headstock scroll was designed to echo; it was only at the hands of Lloyd Loar that the F-style mandolin gained violin-like f-holes, though...but that's straying quite a way off topic anyway).

Though Bigsby chose to arrange the tuners slightly differently, creating a straight sloping edge along the left hand side (assuming we're looking at it pointing upwards), the right hand edge follows a very similar line to the Stauffer/Martin headstock. Somehow I find that the 'sharper' feel to the lines has something more of the Gibson F-style to it, though.

Sometimes headstock scrolls can be vulnerable parts of the instrument, prone to breakage, so rounding off and simplifying the bottom of the Bigsby headstock to arrive at the Fender Stratocaster design would make a lot of sense. It no doubt also makes it slightly simpler to manufacture, which was perhaps one of the highest concerns on Leo Fender's list. It no doubt contributes a degree of extra stability to the design as well.

I'd also say that the rounded curves help complement the curves of the guitar's body - I've never seen another headstock design that looks quite right on a Strat-style guitar.

Were Leo and his team improving on Bigsby's design, or did they just arrive at something similar by drawing on the same influences from the past? That's hard to say, though as an aside, something about the point in the middle of the headstock of G&L guitars (a later creation of Leo Fender and George Fullerton) reminds me a little of the point and scroll combination on the left hand side of Orville Gibson's early F-style mandolins (the modern F-style just has the scroll).

Anyway, that's probably enough about headstocks for one day...the short answer is that they did it to keep the strings straight across the nut and they thought it looked nice, plus they felt that keeping all the tuners in a row was more convenient. The 'circle', as you can see from all this, has a fair bit of heritage in instrument building traditions...though of course that doesn't mean you have to like it...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2011, 13:30

Quote (Syd B @ Aug. 03 2011, 19:12)
Actually, why on earth is this thread here? :D

Better now, Syd? ;)
Profile PM 
21 replies since Aug. 03 2011, 13:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net