Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite track?, Best bit of TBIII< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SoimSandheaver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2006, 07:11

This has got to rank among my Top 5 Albums of all time, definitely one of my favourite Mike Oldfield albums, second only to Hergest Ridge. But, what is your favourite track on this magnificent masterpiece, which really does bring back the essences of depression that Tubular Bells focused on?

My favourite track is The Top of the Morning. It is a fantastic track, which reflects how I feel on some mornings after a particularly depressing night or before I go to school. Anger and regret fused together, before acceptance, and then ending with a hopeful note that today will be a glorious day. I liked the way it carried on the tune in Man In The Rain, which was another great song.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 11:44

Hello!!
The obvious highlight is the last song, but another favourite would be Top of the Morning, and I really think Outcast is awesome, thought the guitars could even have been a bit rougher...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 12:00

Outcast + Secrets/FATC

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Hoot Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 13:58

Far above the clouds(if thats the last one=awesome!;)
Top of the morning(terrific)
Outcast(rocks OUT LOUD!;) :D

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 16:41

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ June 08 2006, 17:44)
Hello!!
The obvious highlight is the last song, but another favourite would be Top of the Morning, and I really think Outcast is awesome, thought the guitars could even have been a bit rougher...

odd, same for me  :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 06:56

Quote (Hoot @ June 08 2006, 18:58)
Far above the clouds(if thats the last one=awesome!;)
Top of the morning(terrific)
Outcast(rocks OUT LOUD!;) :D

I totally agree.   I've justhad Outcast pumping out of my speakers,  Outcast rocks- Play it LOUD!!!!   :cool:.

Top Of The Morning- a beautifully played piano piece, so emotional,can sometimes have me in tears. As "Top Of The Morning" is a common Irish greeting I've often wondered if this    is another tribute to Maureen (Mike's mother).

I also quite like the "Inner Child",  I did used to think that having an Inner Child within was a load of "new age nonsense", I was forever telling my Inner Child to "Shut Up" or "Go away and stop bothering me",  but she would come back,until she had answers. Yes I think Mike has captured this essence of an Inner Child so perfectly.

Far Above The Clouds, what a  great finale  :D,  I find this far from depressing, the build up, the storm, and the calm afterwards  it's so  energising, and uplifting.  I like the idea of church bells and birdsong  at the end, so peaceful and tranquil, could this be Mike at peace with himself.  The only other piece of music I can think of with church bells and birdsong at the end   is Pink Floyd's "Fat Old Sun" , one of my favourite Floyd songs ever.  I don'tknow why members of Floyd dismiss the album "Atom Heart Mother", apart from Dave Gilmour has performes FOS live   :) .

BTW does anyone know which church was used for the church bells on FATC???   Or am I being an anorak here???

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 07:06

Outcast/Serpent dream + Top of the morning/Moonwatch :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 

Posted: June 09 2006, 08:44

Quote (moonchildhippy @ June 09 2006, 06:56)
Pink Floyd's "Fat Old Sun" , one of my favourite Floyd songs ever.  I don'tknow why members of Floyd dismiss the album "Atom Heart Mother", apart from Dave Gilmour has performes FOS live   :) .

That's a bit weird, yes... They didn't like Atom Heart Mother (those guys have not musical taste  :p  ;)  :laugh: ) and also Gilmour said a while ago that he didn't like Echoes, from Meddle, and he's playing that too at his concerts these days. Good for that, because it's the best thing of the set.
Oops, sorry for going off-topic. I remember the Thread-Police from long ago, don't want them shooting at me again ;) hahaa...

--------------
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 15:03

Or am I being an anorak here???

That's an interesting question, MoonChild - and you'll find your answer...

...here!

My vote goes to Top Of The Morning - simply gorgeous!

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 

Posted: June 09 2006, 17:20

Hahahah hey laughing fool, that pic is awesome!!!
Wicked! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 18:17

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ June 09 2006, 20:03)
Or am I being an anorak here???

That's an interesting question, MoonChild - and you'll find your answer...

...here!

My vote goes to Top Of The Morning - simply gorgeous!

I didn't know I'd released an album,  or metamorphosed into Mike Oldfield   :/ (checking in mirror to see if I'm still me).   Hey laughing fool that pic made me really laugh   :laugh:  :laugh: , so much, I nearly fell off my chair.
BTW Mike if you ever need any Hoovers,shoes,glasses of water or toothbrushes played on future albums please let me play them ;) .

Interesting that everyone seems to list Outcast, Top Of The Morning and Far Above The Clouds asfavourite TB3 tracks   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: June 11 2006, 06:39

I can not answer this question!

i find tb3 as one track
all the tracks are masterpieces

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 

Posted: June 12 2006, 17:07

I can not answer this question!

i find tb3 as one track
all the tracks are masterpieces

I think there are lots of beautiful tracks on there, but there are also a couple that I simply cannot stand. I'm afraid to say it, but the first track - a not-very-inspiring rehashing of the TB theme, that lots of people like - just doesn't do anything for me at all :(

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 12 2006, 17:32

I've just been looking at moonchildhippy's album cover and I must say it was for me a bit disturbing, you see, I happen to suffer from Anoraknaphobia.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 14:54

Laughing fool, that was a piece of brilliance. Have I seen any of your work on b3ta.com?

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 15:22

I've been listening to it rather heavily recently, and have come to the irrevocable conclusion that half the tracks are outstanding, and half (while not bad) come across as filler between the outstanding tracks.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: June 20 2006, 12:36

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ June 19 2006, 14:54)
Laughing fool, that was a piece of brilliance. Have I seen any of your work on b3ta.com?

Thanks, Soim!  Not sure I've heard of b3ta, though - wot's that?

--------------
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 12:32

Kinda hard to explain. It's sort of a love it or hate it website. Basically, it is full of satirical artistry from other people on the website on particular subjects. B3ta will also set challenges for members to create another picture satirising a subject. Then, other members will say whether they like it or not. I think the best thing for you to do is go to www.b3ta.com and find out for yourself. Again, that was a fantastic piece of originality.

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 12:46

I know it as a Marillion album title. Is there information beyond this?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2007, 20:44

Far Above the Clouds. nothing...and i mean...NOTHING...i think compares to this track. it's a sound like no other....an amazing piece of work, and still to this day, some 7 years after its release, i still get chills from it....quite possibly one of the most powerful pieces of music i've ever heard.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
27 replies since June 08 2006, 07:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net