What is Hergest Ridge again? 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Part?, 1 or 2??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 04 2008, 04:11

Quote (The Caveman @ April 03 2008, 11:25)
...there is percussion.The humble nutcracker.You can here it clicking away all out of time.

So there is. My apologies go to ImAFoolAndImLaughing who'd mentioned this elsewhere... I thought he was joking!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 18:42

Quote (The Caveman @ April 02 2008, 18:29)
I like both parts equally also.I must stress that the original mix is the better one to me (more guitars!!!;).Side one i find very moving, especially the acoustic guitar and oboe duet.On side two the first section is truely beautiful.The original version has a different keyboard sound here which seems to morph into the sound heard on the remix.It's a very strange album though.It got bad press at the time though and Mike himself didn't like it.He says in his book that it seems to have become a cult album loved by people who go up to Hergest Ridge and dance naked.Well i am going up to the Ridge this summer but i have no love of hyperthermia,and,despite being Pagan,i won't be dancing around naked!

Oh yes dancing on Hergest Ridge to Hergest Ridge is a very Pagan thing to do, oh yes I'm a fellow Pagan, My boyfriend calls me "Hedgewitch"  :D .  I don't think you'll get hypothermia, well not if it's a bright sunny day, Oh yes and I did happen to keep my clothes on when I danced upon The Ridge. I'll have to make another "pilgrimage" to The Ridge, I wonder if my boyfriend will be as enthusiastic as me, but I guess that what he gets for having a slightly crazy Hippy Hedgewitch as a girlfriend :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 02:48

Yay there are other pagans around here,though this isn't the place for an in depth discussion.Ain't nothing wrong with being a hedgewitch either.Tell the truth i'd just about figured it out a while back. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 04:03

I know there's quite a few of us Pagan minded folk on here :)  :D , I'm just wondering if there's something within Mike's music that appeals to us Pagans.  
I do believe that ALL religions do have valid points, it's where a religion or belief spills over into extremism and hatred, such as these terrorist bombings, or I do believe that Westboro' Baptist Church in the States (cant remember what state, Texas I think ), is running  "God Hates Gays"protests, and to me that is far from the Christian teachings of "Love your Neighbour".

That brings me onto another interesting point, I do often wonder about Mike's religion/spirituality, I know he was raised as a Catholic, which was his mother's religion. I'm just wondering what  if any Mike regards himself as, as he seems to be a spiritual person from wht I've heard/read in interviews, and I do think his spirituality often comes across in his music.

Oh yes and I love my "Hedgewitch" title, I consider myself a Hedgewitch  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 07 2008, 05:07

I think Mike would describe himself as being 'of no fixed religion' :laugh: .Where's this church?If that's christianuty then i'm the Dali Llama!
I think there is something very spritual about Mike's music,definately.There's a very earthy feel to it that instantly puts me in mind of the countryside where the old traditions come from.A timeless quality,especially the earliest stuff.
 I prefer to work within a group but i do know a lot of solitary hedgewitches.
Paganism is alive and well in this corner of England.

--------------
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 16 2008, 01:37

I think Mike's probably an agnostic, but still very much a Christian, as could probably be evidenced by the track "Our Father" on the "Light & Shade" Album, which he says was about Pope John Paul II shortly after his passing.

As for my favourite section, if I had to choose between the two of them, I'd say Part One. Mainly because I love the section with the oboes, and also the emotional finalé with the choir. It's simply beautiful.

Part Two is lovely as well, and also boasts the "storm" section. But I just love the pure tranquility and beauty that is sustained throughout Part One.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2008, 08:00

But by the same token the original intention on Incantations was to use some pagan chants.If you have a copy of the Soace Movie DVD there's some sections of an early version containing someone singing an incataion where the Hiyawatha (spelling?)is on the finished article.In Changeling he devotes a section to spirituality in which he talks about his early experiences in school and concludes that he believes in a higher power but not neccesarily one god.
When i say that his music feels pagan,that's purely what i get from it,which from my pagan view point is understandable i guess.
  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 09:53

I just played HR today after a fair While and considered the Pt1 vPt2  preference... For me its  Part 2.. No Question.. Its far more interesting... The Intro into the Storm Section Specially..  Ok you cannt call it easy listening but for all the Air Guitarists out there its nearly the Ultimate ...  Mostly I play side 2  only as the 1st side just seems a bit on the slow side for me... nothing wrong with it though of course.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 02 2009, 20:08

Quote (Taynie @ April 03 2008, 15:59)
I was 17 when first I heard this piece of music. The first few bars into side 1 made my hairs stand up on the back my neck, and blood to my cheeks.  The music still moves me in a way no other piece ever has.  It's a personal thing isn't it that's hard to put into words.

Yes indeed. It gets you in some kind of physical/emotional/spiritual way doesn't it? It takes me off into some sort of dark ages mistclad landscape and although it is melancholy and rather sad, it remains uplifting too...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 12:55

This is my favourite section of part 1 - (the video gives you vertigo) - Hergest Ridge1 3/3

This is what we can look forward to - FOUR pristine versions of this, and Holger, maybe then you can articulate what couldn't previously be articulated, what it is? - about this music :cool: .

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 13:24

That was cool. But it led me to a vid posted by the same person with The Lake live. I never saw that played live before. Quite interesting. Patrick Moraz-ish keyboard player+the noted Gibson SG. Thanks for that.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
30 replies since Mar. 28 2008, 22:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net