Question: Favourite Hergest Ridge version :: Total Votes:56
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1974 original mix 27  [48.21%]
1976 'Boxed' mix 14  [25.00%]
2010 mix 15  [26.79%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Hergest Ridge version, Which mix do you like the best?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Major Gowen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2010, 00:25

I went for the 1974 version. I gave away my turntable years ago so couldn't play my vinyl copy, so I started listening to the Boxed mix on CD a lot more, and gradually got used to this more minimalist version. It was strange to hear the original mix when it was re-released, some parts were quite jarring at first, but after a few listens it's like it's never been away. Almost like welcoming back an old friend you haven't seen in years.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2010, 05:06

Had to be 1974....its the way it was meant to be surely...
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2010, 21:47

I shan't vote until I've gotten properly re-acquainted with the '74 and '76 mixes.

It's been some time since I listened to any piece of music in its entirety. The new mixes of Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge prompted me to (finally) repair my beloved Sony V-700 headphones, and devote some time to listening.

It must be 5 years since I last listened to Hergest Ridge (at least completley.) Having recently purchased the 2010 CD ('standard' issue I'm afraid - 8 years of unemployment takes a heavy toll) I remembered just how much I like it.

I listened to the 2010 mix whilst travelling home from a hospital appointment a few weeks ago. I use the tram several times per week, and know when my stop is coming by the motion of the tram as it rounds a certain curve. On this occasion, I was right in the middle of 'The Thunderstorm', eyes closed, volume up. Not only did I miss my stop, I ended up having to purchase another ticket when the conductor tapped me on the shoulder at the end of the line around 5 miles past my stop!

Aside from the occasional missed phone call, I've never had my attention from what I was doing taken away so completely by music before, so at least part of the 2010 mix must score pretty highly!
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 10:40

I've gone for 2010, just ahead of 1974 and nice try, Boxed, but honestly - the start of part one?!

Have we established how Mike went about this yet?  Did he supervise everything, including the 1974 version, or did he just take the masters and create the new mixes from scratch.  I think the concept of a fresh approach perhaps (and perhaps not) with a quick listen for reference, is what would appeal to him.  Discovering little things you forgot you recorded is part and parcel of revisting recorded music, which is why I'm partial to the idea that in aspects like the much discussed 12.12 incident, Mike wasn't aware that he hadn't highlighted it before.  Probably the exact opposite now I've said it.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 18:42

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 11 2011, 16:40)
Have we established how Mike went about this yet?  Did he supervise everything, including the 1974 version, or did he just take the masters and create the new mixes from scratch.

Nope, I don't think he listened attentively to anything before creating the new mix, especially with HR. Remember, Mike sort-of hates HR. The new mix clearly gave an opportunity to re-shape HR in such a way that maybe he could come to appreciate it (if not necessarily like it) a bit more than he did before. So it seems pretty obvious to me that he started with a completely clean slate and then he just piled things up, or removed them, as it fitted best to him. This is why I think that everything you hear in the 2010 mix, including the much-discussed (too much, IMHO) "incident", is no incident at all. It's absolutely and wholly intentional. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 09:51

Thanks again, Ugo - seems likely.  Ran out of time for my other thought: that if Mike delivered his version first, that would be why the others involved decided not to go with the abrupt original opening.  Which is more distinctive but hey, swings and roundabouts...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Robert_Logan Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2011, 14:09

I'm surprised the 'Boxed' mix doesn't get more love. Perhaps it's because I heard it first and because I am a big fan of ambient music - but I feel it evokes the landscape of Hergest Ridge far better than any of the other mixes. It is more subtle, mysterious, sensitive and 'rustic' sounding. I sounds more like a place than a piece of music, though if you listen carefully it soon becomes apparent how intricate and complex its musical ideas really are. It flows so beautifully.

My father has heard all versions and agrees with me. So there's at least two of us! :)

The only part I find to be inferior in the 'Boxed' version is the thunderstorm. It is admittedly quite awful. The 'paired down' approach doesn't work in this section...

Having said all this, I do also like the 1974 and 2010 versions. But they are almost like a different piece of music. I would listen to them at home in the city and save the Boxed version for a trip out to the countryside. I find the 1974/2010 mixes less atmospheric and more overtly musical - but lacking in a certain 'magic.'
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2011, 14:54

The Boxed mix is definitely my fave version. The 2010 mix has lost a lot of the essence of HR for me.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Shy girl Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 19:03

I love Hergest Ridge
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 20:59

Quote (Shy girl @ Mar. 19 2011, 19:03)
I love Hergest Ridge

Welcome to the forum, shy girl. You're not related to Quietman, are you?  :laugh:  What other MO albums do you like?
Profile PM 
Shy girl Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 01:25

Thankyou. Ive never been on a forum before and Im not sure what to say. Hergest Ridge reminds meof the Farm where I live. I listend to Amarok and while parts of it were lovely others startled me. People often criticize me for being startled too easily .
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 04:27

Welcome to the forums Shy Girl. Hergest Ridge to me does evoke landscape. Is the area where you live at all like the area of Hergest Ridge itself where Mike lived?

Startled by Amarok, I'll bet!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 06:13

Quote (Shy girl @ Mar. 20 2011, 00:03)
I love Hergest Ridge

Me too the music and the location.....welcome aboard and please feel comfortable joining in, they seem like a friendly bunch from what Ive read.....have a listen to a version of HG by The Silicon Scientist by the way.....its very good.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 06:24

Hi Shy Girl - you and I have a lot in common! I also live on a Farm - with sheep as a matter of fact, and the surrounding landscape is very Hergest Ridge moorland.

I'm also shy (and easily startled), though I wouldn't dare use it in my username, and I like cottage crafts. I might call myself Perspicacious Girl actually, meaning can't pull the wool over my eyes kind of girl.   :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Shy girl Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 11:31

Wiga, I used to have sheep as Pets but I was so upset when my Uncle took them to market. I kept their wool as a Souvenir and that why I like knitting. I know it sounds silly but Id love to knit a big wolly cardigan for Mike Oldfield .
Profile PM 
Shy girl Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 11:32

Thankyou everyone, I didnt mean to be rude by only talking to Wiga.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 15:50

Hi Shy Girl, this your first time here? :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 20:03

Quote (Robert_Logan @ Feb. 28 2011, 20:09)
I'm surprised the 'Boxed' mix doesn't get more love.

This a somewhat very late reply, but nevertheless a reply. :)
Robert, apart from the fact that "get more love" sounds weird to me [I'd rather talk about affection, admiration, fondness... I don't think anyone or anything can "get love", as I don't think love is something you get - you are loved, but you don't "get love". I have absolutely no intention of being rude to you by talking like this, these are just my thoughts.]... apart from that, I think that there isn't a great deal of fondness or affection towards the Boxed mix going on here simply because all of us who post in this board are aware that it's a remix. The fact that it's a remix implies that there was an original version before that, which Mike O. remixed, and of course the original version wasn't available on CD until the release of the 2010 Deluxe Edition... and actually it still isn't available, because the mix that it's on the second CD of the Deluxe Edition, labeled as "Original 1974 stereo mix", has been re-touched in several places. The actual original 1974 stereo mix is only on the 2010 vinyl edition, as it always was - only on vinyl, I mean. :) All of this essentially means that people here have always been bitching about how Mike, in his 1976 mix, altered stuff that was in the original 1974 mix and about the fact that the 1976 mix is inferior to the 1974 one because of the alterations. Of course different people here have different thoughts, but I think that the 1976 mix is generally plagued with inferiority to the 1974 one. At least in here. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2011, 20:59

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 20 2011, 20:03)
you are loved, but you don't "get love".

I think you've got a line for a new pop song there, Ugo  :laugh:

"You are loved, but you don't 'get love'
I reach out, but you push and shove..."  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Shy girl Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2011, 00:35

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 20 2011, 15:50)
Hi Shy Girl, this your first time here? :)

Yes Syd, my uncle is rather Fierce and he keeps ab eye on me. But its only for my protection as I dont have much experience and I always think Men know Best.
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 09 2010, 15:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net