Posted: May 28 2005, 11:01

:p what is your favorite version of Tubular Bells? :D

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 28 2005, 12:53

The SACD multichannel mix is the same version as Boxed, just the quality is better. It's my personal favourite, with the use of the extra two channels giving it a more open feel (it's quite reliant on good speaker positioning though, it can sound too stark if the rear speakers are in the wrong place). I also feel that the recording/mix/mastering techniques used add up to a nice airy sound - the 2003 version feels very closed by comparison.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 28 2005, 13:42

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 28 2005, 12:53)
The SACD multichannel mix is the same version as Boxed, just the quality is better. It's my personal favourite, with the use of the extra two channels giving it a more open feel (it's quite reliant on good speaker positioning though, it can sound too stark if the rear speakers are in the wrong place). I also feel that the recording/mix/mastering techniques used add up to a nice airy sound - the 2003 version feels very closed by comparison.

I thaught it the same as the orriginal edtit but mastered for 5.1.

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 28 2005, 16:40

The stereo mix is essentially the 25th Anniversary remaster (at higher quality), the multichannel mix is the Boxed mix, taken from the original 4 track tape rather than the 2 track SQ tape used to make the Boxed LPs, cassettes and CDs.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 28 2005, 17:12

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 28 2005, 16:40)
the multichannel mix is the Boxed mix,

On the set I have recived two days there is written "This set is in stero"...

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 29 2005, 05:48

It technically is, but they'd have told you differently in 1976!

Boxed was a set of quadraphonic remixes, mostly overseen by Phil Newell and done at The Manor which had just been re-equipped to provide Virgin with a state of the art quadraphonic studio (the exception being Hergest Ridge, which was remixed by Mike at Througham Slad, which he'd also had equipped with quad mixing facilities).

There was a problem with quadraphonic albums though, and that was the puzzle of how to get them to the consumer. The standard way with stereo albums was the LP, but getting any more than two channels onto them wasn't possible. That didn't stop them trying, though - the results were two types of system, one involving matrixing, and one involving FM (that is, frequency modulation, the same as FM radio). The FM discs were actually better at keeping the channels separate, when they worked, but they had problems (they used a super high frequency signal to carry the information necessary to split the signals apart - not only did it need a special stylus to play them, and special vinyl to press them, but the grooves for the high frequency carrier waves were also very delicate and wore out more easily than the audible signal grooves). On the other side were the matrix systems. They involved feeding the four channels through a box which mixed them down to two channels, adding information which could later be used to separate them again. Music encoded that way could be pressed onto any old LP, and also transferred to cassette, 8 track, or any other stereo format they could care to think of. They didn't need any special playback equipment, apart from the decoder (and of course four channels of amplification instead of two), and would play as a normal stereo record for anyone without quadraphonic equipment (you just get the rear signals coming out at the front instead, just like with the downmixes modern digital surround systems can create). Wonderful. Except it wasn't, quite - the separation between the channels on matrix recordings was pretty bad (as low as 3dB in some directions - what directions depends on the system). They finally found ways of improving that using clever tricks in the decoder, but by the time that was perfected, quad was dead.

The record companies continue to like matrix quad though. Take a look at a matrix quad tape and what do you see? A stereo tape...perfect for transferring to CD to sell as an alternate mix. This is the case with Boxed. What's actually on the CD is the matrix encoded quad mix - they just tell you it's stereo...and it is stereo, or at least it's compatible with stereo equipment. It's definitely still got the encoding there, though.
The SACD was produced from exactly the same four track tape that was used to make the matrix quad version, just they've transferred the four channels direct to four channels of the SACD, rather than mixing them together into matrixed quad. Play the Boxed CD through the right matrix quad decoder (that is an SQ or Phase Matrix decoder - QS or Regular Matrix won't do) and you'll get something approximating what you get from the SACD...as well as an interesting demonstration of the differences in reproduction between a discrete and a matrix system!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 04:04

Unfortunately, I don't have all of the versions noted in the poll choice so I guess my vote was restricted to what I know. I must say, I was intrigued by the choice of a 1971 demo DVD - I have never heard of this version; I must refrain from burying my head so deep in the sand! However, I am familiar with the 1976 BBC TV performance version which appears on the Elements DVD; as enjoyable for spotting all the of MO's Virgin stablemates as it is for the music.

So, given the restrictions of my choice (I have the original TB, Orchestral TB, Exposed Live and 2003 TB), I opted for the original version. Technically not as perfect as 2003 but with a charm and emotion which will always remain unsurpassed when it comes to versions of TB. This is the one TB when the bells still send shivers down my spine some 31 years after hearing it for the first time!  :cool:

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 06:50

Quote (T4 @ May 30 2005, 04:04)
I am familiar with the 1976 BBC TV performance version which appears on the Elements DVD

Oh yes I forgor this one :O

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 10:50

Quote (T4 @ May 30 2005, 09:04)
Unfortunately, I don't have all of the versions noted in the poll choice so I guess my vote was restricted to what I know.

I'm in the same position but worse - since I actually don't understand what some of those versions are, or what makes them different, or whether it might matter very much! And worse still, I don't even think I want to know! There's really no hope for the truly committed ignoramus, I guess.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 12:51

I voted for the exposed version, but the best version I've heard is on the Knebworth video. The band (which was more or less an expanded version of Pierre Moerlen's Gong) is the best he ever had.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 18:26

My fav is the Boxed remix, because in that mix the section called Russian in TB 2003 features a tiny little guitar bit that's not in any other version of TB (not even 2003) and I just love that bit. :) However, I think another version should be added to the list above - Mike's BBC performance as featured on the Elements DVD. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 19:55

I chose Live but not the Exposed version but a draw between Siegen '81, Cologne '82 and London '83. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 07:49

i really want to hear the demo version, but i can't find it anywhere, does any1 have it?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 14:35

It's available on the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A - it's on the video layer of the disc, so it plays on all DVD players, and computers with DVD drives.

As for getting it in any other way, well...pushing aside the legal issues, there are a number of fans who disagree with distributing anything of Mike's on the net that can easily be bought in shops. There are others who don't see why they should have to pay for a DVD-A of TB2003 just to get the demo material (though there's about 45 minutes worth of it on there - it could be said that's enough to justify the price alone, considering that's 10 minutes more than you get on an album like Ommadawn), and see no harm in putting it online. As you can imagine, the two camps don't think much of each other, and it's led to rather heated and ultimately pointless arguments (neither side manages to convince the other of anything) which I'd rather not see starting again here.

Knowing what the internet's like, I'm sure someone does have it available online, just I think it's best not discussed right here.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 10 2005, 14:21

how about the airborn live edit.

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Locutus Offline

Posted: June 12 2005, 05:57

sound quality aside,the live TB from exposed was my favorite....subtle improvisation was great.

Live Airborn sounds heavier than the original.a melody-pop tune transformed into hard rock :D
and the live Platinum finale is exceptional.Mike really got into it (u know those moments when he looks ecstatic, like the finale on live premiere of TB3,when his guitar starts forging sort of...metal screams).anyway, live performance of platinum is much faster, the track shows hidden zeal,whereas in the studio version it  gets....ah....not boring...just overrepeated.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 17 2005, 20:36

Quote (Alan D @ May 30 2005, 15:50)
Quote (T4 @ May 30 2005, 09:04)
Unfortunately, I don't have all of the versions noted in the poll choice so I guess my vote was restricted to what I know.

I'm in the same position but worse - since I actually don't understand what some of those versions are, or what makes them different, or whether it might matter very much! And worse still, I don't even think I want to know! There's really no hope for the truly committed ignoramus, I guess.

I'm not familiar with all of the different versions  :O .  Don't worry Alan this makes me a   fellow "ignoramus"??? too.

Out of all the versions I have,  it's a toss up between the Original TB and the  "Boxed" version.   I'm most famliar with the Original version. I recently aquired "Boxed on good old fashioned LP, I love the Sailors Hornpipe from Boxed.  I have this picture in my head of Mike, Tom Newman and Viv Stanshall staggering around "The Manor" in a stoned/drunken state ;) .  I would go along with the Original version. THe "Boxed version I like too.

Where can I cet hold of the 1971 Demo version, I've tried looking , but can't find this anywhere   :/ , and help anyone please.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 18 2005, 08:17

Quote (Mr_Brownstone @ June 04 2005, 12:49)
i really want to hear the demo version, but i can't find it anywhere, does any1 have it?

Oops Moonchildhippy, you fool!!!  I've just realised I've asked virtually the same question as Mr Brownstone  :O.

What I meant to ask was I've looked on Play.com and HMVwebsites , I've found  a DVD of Tubular Bells 2003 on HMV, but there's no write up on it.  I've also found the "DVD Collection" Box Set, but can't see a mention of the 1971 Demo,listed.  Any DVD of MIke sounds good :), now I've finally come into the 21st Century, having recently got a DVD player.

Since it's my birthday soon I'll have to start dropping some hints  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: June 22 2005, 16:41

Love the live version from exposed. However, the best bit is actually the unbelievable guitar solo on part two. I also agree with an earlier post that the Knebworth version was the best.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 11 2005, 05:38

Guess what !!! For my birthday today I recieved The "Mike Oldfield DVD Collection".  The 1971 Demos of Tubular Bells are amazing, jut so raw and full of energy   :) , no remastering, complete with tape hiss and dropouts, the way it was recorded in 1971. I do love the 1973 original most and the "Boxed" Sailor's Hornpipe

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
26 replies since May 28 2005, 11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net