can't make a choice!!! 8  [12.50%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite Taurus< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2008, 15:08

Amen to that! Ready the next round of lambs to sacrifice! Sir M, master of ceremonies?  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 27 2008, 15:34

I respectfully decline.  Unless, of course, his very yummy-looking avatar was the entree.

:D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 27 2008, 23:55

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 27 2008, 02:36)
It has always been rather troublesome for me to be objective with someone else's music because, no matter how rigorous and precise I try to me, someone else will always disagree. Also, when I'm talking about my own music, I can be as objective as I want to be because... well, I made it. :) But, well, I'll try.

Okay, so "listenable" is quite an hyperbole there because there's nothing on the track that I can't listen to; but it gets close on the "disco chanting" part: that vocal melody sounds like something straight out of some communist propaganda film, and the "disco" rhythm does little to help. But that's the only positively bad thing I can name in the song. Other than that, Mike seems to stick too much to those circular melodies that sound downright banal and childish next to most of what he had done until then; that opening theme is just going up and down on, what, four notes, and it's quite amazing that he turned it into something quite powerful in the middle of Five Miles Out. The track has those meandering, aimless parts I have talked about before, and some more consistent bits scattered over the track without anything really tying them together.

The problem is that there's still too much personal taste involved in defining what sounds nice and what doesn't, but to but it bluntly, when I run through the track in my head, there's nothing in it that "sticks", nothing that I look forwards to. So, even if someone made me change my mind about what I said on the paragraph above, I'd still dislike the piece. My tastes are stubborn, yes.

"Circular melodies?" Themes just going up and down???...Are you suggesting that none of those Mike Oldfieldian trademarks are non present on Crises?..What about 16 bars of "de diddly`n der de de" for a start?..Kind of like Status Quo with a few extra chord changes thrown in,in a vain attempt to disguise it`s simplicity.The first time my wife heard that section of music she laughed out loud.Gave me a odd look of superior indignation and then walked out the room shaking her head.Or what about the age old guitar theme based on a  "woah-heave-ho" sea shanty thing that appears earlier in the track?How many times has Mike re-wrote that particular piece now?..."Yeah I`ll change a few notes round and just keep adding more instruments when it repeats itself..No one will notice!"..The only melody I can actually think of on that album that is argueably stronger than anything on Taurus 2(apart from the tubular bells theme itself of course)Is the section of the synth/mandolin melody that comes after the circular up down bit of "doo doo doo do do..doo doo doo do do"..I must admit I`ll have to give you that one they don`t come much better than that imo.

Anyway despite all of that I do agree with a lot of what you say.Yes the start of T2 is a bit plodding and pedestrian by Mike`s high standards and it takes a good few minutes to get going for me.And yes I also agree Crises works far better as an entire whole.You always feel as if you`re going somewhere and not a second wasted,spot on.Plus what Mike did with the Tubular Bells theme here was really quite something.And I know I`ve seen you mention that yourself before so I would`nt dis-agree with you there either.

I just think if you`re going to criticsize Mike for employing simplistic circular melodies based around chords going up and down.Then imo you`re taking away a great big massive chunk of his back catalogue there.Maybe your disliking for Taurus 2 is possibly more down to taste/style etc than you`d wish to admit to.I apologise if I`m being a little presumptious there.As I`ve admitted myself I do take on board a lot of what you said comparing the album to Crises.I would`nt go as far to say there are long meandering sections of nothing going on.But I can certainly see your point there.

So anyway I really like Taurus 2 myself.It has a good positive fun vibe to it for want of a less corny cliche.Plus I remember listening to it when it was first released and thinking.."fantastic the folk/pastoral influence is back,Yay get the Morris Men in great stuff."..But it was`nt just specific to that section it was evident elsewhere on that track as well.You know even on that little Vocoder/Captain Pugwash bit which I`ve always particularly liked.So ok QE2 had it`s Celtic Harps and little folky sections also.But somehow with Taurus 2 they kind of sounded and felt more rooted to the earth and soil somehow.Obviously the return of Paddy Maloney probably went a long way into helping that feeling along I`ll admit.But I honestly feel it`s more than that.I remember as much at the time it was a feeling as if he`d rediscovered something of himself that I kind of thought he`d lost or abandoned since Ommadawn.Back in those days seven years was a whole bloomin` lifetime in "rock" music terms.It had only been around for 2 and a half decades for a kick off.Seven years nowadays is barely a break between albums for some people.

Taurus Two for me was like Mike saying "Hey I`m back folks,only this time we`re just gonna` really enjoy ourselves here."..And Mike does euro disco a la something from Abba`s Supertrouper album or however one "hears it" ?You know I could just see them all in the studio with great big grins on their faces playing that section.Becuase that was another great thing about this album for me it was like "Hey Mike`s in a band. "And you could actually bloody hear him inter-acting with other musicians on a studio album for once.More so than Platinum for me.And certainly more so than anything else in his back catalogue at that point.In fact i`m really struggling to think of anything since to be honest.Even Crises does`nt do it for me in that respect,although it probably comes the closest.

So anyway imo there is nothing "more simplistic" about the melodies on Taurus 2 than there was on Crises.For the most part at least.I know you`re going to dis-agree with that and fair enough I suppose."Dun dun dun dun" sounds pretty damn moronic typed out in that fashion.But you know "the band" really plays at the end there for me,and it sounds pretty darn fine to my cloth ears.Some of his earlier albums well maybe I`d agree on that one.But then some of the melodies he came up with in those early years were just ridiculously brilliant at times.And as a whole it does`nt flow as well as Crises no question for me.But there`s nothing awkward or clunking about it.You know I never feel as if he`s wedging stuff in there just to make up the time.I look forward to each section of the piece with great anticipation in fact.And above all else it`s a piece with a huge amount of colours and variation in it somehow.Shifting through styles in a carefree but still seamless manner and transporting me to so many numerous places and memories.Far more colourful than Crises for me.And far more joyous and exciting as well...I don`t prefer it to Taurus One though.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 02:37

Well I picked Taurus 11. It is one of my favourite songs of Mike's. I am definetley not well versed in discussing bars and notes, all I care about is what my ears and heart like.

And they like Taurus 11.  :D

Great reading these posts  though!!!!  :)

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 07:51

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 27 2008, 23:55)
Taurus Two for me was like Mike saying "Hey I`m back folks,only this time we`re just gonna` really enjoy ourselves here."..And Mike does euro disco a la something from Abba`s Supertrouper album or however one "hears it" ?You know I could just see them all in the studio with great big grins on their faces playing that section.Becuase that was another great thing about this album for me it was like "Hey Mike`s in a band. "And you could actually bloody hear him inter-acting with other musicians on a studio album for once.More so than Platinum for me.And certainly more so than anything else in his back catalogue at that point.In fact i`m really struggling to think of anything since to be honest.Even Crises does`nt do it for me in that respect,although it probably comes the closest.

So anyway imo there is nothing "more simplistic" about the melodies on Taurus 2 than there was on Crises.For the most part at least.I know you`re going to dis-agree with that and fair enough I suppose."Dun dun dun dun" sounds pretty damn moronic typed out in that fashion.

Dirk Star, the feelings you get from Taurus 2 are precisely the same as mine. There's a wonderful sense of joy in the second half of the piece. Being an analytical sort of person (over-analytical, some might say), I've thought about how this effect is achieved. Part of the answer, I think, lies in the shape of the melody just before the chant section starts. There's this descending melodic phrase which gets repeated a number of times - but on its final appearance the melody suddenly lifts to position itself on a high note - a transcendently higher note. It's like a massive leap into heaven - but then immediately after it you hear these wonderful, primitive sounding rhythms (I don't think they're quite disco, although they're close), and you realise that what Mike is leaping into is not heaven but the exalting rhythms of pure, primitive, earth-bound joy.

As for the "simplistic" bits at the beginning, they're just one part of this very kaleidoscopic piece, one of the ordinary things he's leaping from.

Incidentally, the similarly leaden and "simplistic" bits in Crises, just after that doom-like bell sounds,suggest to me the kind of plodding lifestyle we may face if the world really does face a crisis. I'm not sure what the crisis is supposed to be, although the album's cover suggests global warming.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 08:29

"Earth bound joy" I like it.I think that`s probably the over-riding feeling I take from Taurus Two,although I do think all of the inter-playing helps that as well.On that aspect it does stand out a little bit different to Mike`s other longer pieces to me.I`m not saying Mike was allowing any major freedom of expression from other players etc.It just seems that the playing on this composition was a lot less regimented and precisely defined somehow.Maybe there was even a lot less thought and self-deliberation going into it on Mike`s part,I don`t know?I must admit it has crossed my mind though.

With referance to what I mentioned earlier about my feelings of this album being somewhat of a return to some folkier and pastoral elements from Mike at the time.You know thinking logicaly about that now it`s probably fair to say that my own objectivity is a little clouded on that in comparison to Sir M`s approach on it.You know I was kind of growing up to a lot of Mike`s albums back in the early 80`s.And some of those initial responses and emotions never really fade away for me somehow.

And it`s funny yeah but Crises and the front cover thing.I`m convinced to this day in fact that Mike was intentionaly singing "Cry Seas Cry Seas...You can`t get away."..     :p
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 09:17

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 28 2008, 04:55)
I just think if you`re going to criticsize Mike for employing simplistic circular melodies based around chords going up and down.Then imo you`re taking away a great big massive chunk of his back catalogue there.Maybe your disliking for Taurus 2 is possibly more down to taste/style etc than you`d wish to admit to.I apologise if I`m being a little presumptious there.As I`ve admitted myself I do take on board a lot of what you said comparing the album to Crises.I would`nt go as far to say there are long meandering sections of nothing going on.But I can certainly see your point there.

Well i'm not SirM, but I would like to respond to this.

Repetitive, mathematical. Or repetitive, almost aimless wandering. That's basically the difference to me. Yes, Mike's used a lot of loops of similar notes and thats been core to his composition. I do think its unfair to compare Taurus II to the rest of Mike's back catalogue, though.

Take, for example, (if we can take anything) Incantations part IV. There is a lot of repetition on this track, and there are elements borrowed from earlier parts of the album. But that repetition, in using the themes and passages from before and reworking in the way it is done here, creates and enhances the albums identity, similar to the way that tune is used in Five Miles Out, as Sir M said.

The trouble with Taurus II for me is, I don't think it has much of it's own identity. It's like it doesn't know what its trying to be. That's why I describe it as a lark about - it seems very loose compositionally. Things like Incantations are tight; there is a definate idea behind the whole track and that fits cohesively into the idea of the album, but Taurus II doesn't seem to do that. It's one thing, then another, then another, then another. None of the themes seem particularly connected to me either.

To be honest, I think thats the POINT of the track. I think its supposed to be something akin to a rest from big complicated works like Incantations and the effort that must've gone into the track QE2, and was played like a practiced recording session as opposed to a structured, intensely organised, rigid piece of work. Thats the feel that it gives me anyway - especially during the jig section with the whooping voices in the background.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 10:48

Some fair comments there arron,that I don`t think I can really argue I must admit.Maybe the fact that Taurus Two is somewhat lacking in the precise and mathematical is part of the reason why I really like it.Maths was never my strong point after all.Come to think of it my English is`nt too clever either.I was here for months before it dawned on me that Sir Mustapha was`nt from Bromsgrove or somewhere like that for instance..Brazil??..No!..You`re having me on?..

So yeah Taurus Two has a kind of "plug in and go" feel to it to me.It`s really quite unique in that respect compared to all of his other albums.Maybe Mike sees it as a failed experiment or something looking back now.See for me though I think I would`ve liked Mike Oldfield to have explored that avenue of his music a little bit more.He could have maybe alternated his releases between having say a "Mike Oldfield Groop" as it was.And Mike Oldfield the serious composer/overdub guy.I honestly think he would`ve benefited from it in the long run.He would`ve learned stuff about hearing his own music interperted by other musicians for a start.I`m reminded a little bit of Neil Young talking about this here.Where he`ll go off and record an album with Crazy Horse,and he`ll try and just capture the band playing live in the studio as it were.Lots of band inter-action and very few overdubs at all.You can`t manufacture that I think given the greatest studio wizardry in the world.Obviously you`ve got to kind of give up a little of yourself to do that.You`ve got to let go of the control and be prepared for many shocks and surprises.Mike Oldfield hears all the music planned out in his head beforehand.Every accent,every little nuance in there.He knows where it goes and he knows how to play it.You know I`m not going to start knocking him for that because I love him for it.I just still have this nagging feeling deep down that somewhere along the line he kind of missed out a bit.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 11:14

I'm certainly in no way playing down anyone elses' respect for the album; I am just trying to communicate with a response to that more clearly why I feel that the album doesn't bring to the table what other offerings had before and after.

I can also appreciate your wanton for Mike to explore this avenue further; I have a similar want with Vangelis and his compositional style around the early 90s'. I don't know whether V will continue in this style, as the successive albums were associated with some kind of theme, or purpose.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 28 2008, 12:59

I turn my back on the thread for just a few hours and see what happens! :)

Going back to the Crises vs. Taurus II comparison, I see Dirk has made a solid point about my argument. But to me, there's something of a not-very-clear difference between the essentially simple and the simplistic. I say not-so-clear because, again, I think there's a lot of bias involved here. But regarding Mike's career as a whole, he has used a lot of very simple melodies, even in his grander works - even Amarok. But I like him as a composer so much not because of the complexity of the melodies themselves, but because of how they're used in the construction as a whole: those melodies bounce off each other, build towards one another, suffer all sorts of transformations and get messed around with quite a lot. That, to me, is what lacks in Taurus II and transforms the melodies in quite banal lark-abouts (£1 to Arron) - like I said, the opening theme is used in the title track to quite good effect, because of how it's integrated into an almost chaotic section helps its development.

I guess the theory that Taurus II was meant to be uncomplicated and easy to follow is correct. But if that's the case, I guess it's all personal taste after all. I mean, even Mike's more "complex" works to me are amazingly fun. Maybe they're also "intellectual food", but they're fun. I don't think Mike needed to discard his skills at building huge but coherent musical constructions in order to make something fun, but I suppose you can't be too objective about this.

(by the way, I'd definitely like the "disco" section of the song if it weren't for the way those vocals are processed - but I still don't know how guilty the melody itself is)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 13:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 28 2008, 12:59)
I'd definitely like the "disco" section of the song if it weren't for the way those vocals are processed - but I still don't know how guilty the melody itself is

I'm not a big fan of vocal processing, but I like that section. The parts I really look forward to are 2:00 - 5:00 and 16:00 - 22:30 (don't know what to call them), which is actually maybe three or four different segments, I guess. But it doesn't matter since "The Lake" beats all "Taurus"es and "Crises", anyway.  :p

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 17:05

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't "get" The Lake for the life of me. I know there is supposed to be something there to grasp, but I just can't grasp it  :/

Help  :/  <sob>

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 21:17

Quote (arron11196 @ June 28 2008, 17:05)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't "get" The Lake for the life of me. I know there is supposed to be something there to grasp, but I just can't grasp it  :/

Help  :/  <sob>

When I first heard "The Lake" I thought it was misnamed, as I instinctively assumed that if a piece was going to be about a lake, it would be a placid one (the way "Lake Constance" is placid). But it's a very storm-tossed lake, isn't it? You can hear the boat puttering out into it, and the hurricane sets in, first lashing from one side, and then the other. I quite like the piece, although it doesn't engage my emotions the way parts of Taurus 2 do. It's clever and memorable rather than gut-wrenching. Certainly the highlight of "Discovery", though, which I otherwise don't care for.

Getting back to Taurus 2, has anyone ever noticed the similarity of "Etude" to part of it?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: June 28 2008, 21:44

Quote (nightspore @ June 29 2008, 03:17)
Getting back to Taurus 2, has anyone ever noticed the similarity of "Etude" to part of it?

What part of Taurus 2 do you mean? I haven't noticed a similarity, but am interested since, as you propably know, Etude isn't Mike's own piece. The only similarity I can think of is that Morris Pert plays drums on both tracks.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 29 2008, 01:55

Quote (Harmono @ June 28 2008, 21:44)
Quote (nightspore @ June 29 2008, 03:17)

What part of Taurus 2 do you mean? I haven't noticed a similarity, but am interested since, as you propably know, Etude isn't Mike's own piece. The only similarity I can think of is that Morris Pert plays drums on both tracks.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to listen to "Taurus 2" again, Harmono. I can't imagine how anyone would not like it - oh well, that's the subjective dimension of music for you!

The similarity I was referring to concerned rhythm and instrumental sound rather than melody. The section of "Taurus 2" starts at 13.45 and goes for about a minute. It has staccato guitar phrases contrasting with what sounds like a glass harmonica (musical glasses) but is probably something else (although I wouldn't put it past Mike to play the glass harmonica!;). There's a similar rhythm and glass-harmonica-sounding instrument in "Etude".

The guitar riffs at around 21 minutes, incidentally, remind me of "Pipeline Sequence" in the soundtrack to the 1972 surf movie Five Summer Stories. Does anyone know this?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 14:23

Just listened to that part and there are similar sounds, no doubt about that. And it's not just the 'glass harmonica' (I'm not sure what instrument that is either), but there's a vibraphone as well.
The rhythm is kind of similar to Etude too (toms, tambourine etc.), though it is in four, not in three as in Etude. Anyway, with these elements in common, they do sound alike, good observation.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 20:27

Thanks, Harmono. The glass harmonica was a musical instrument, invented by Benjamin Franklin, which was designed to rub the rim of a glass when a key was depressed (the way you can make a champagne glass 'sing' when you rub its rim). It was quite popular for a while, and both Mozart and Beethoven wrote pieces for it. It was revived recently, and you can buy CDs of glass harmonica works. Modern composers like George Crumb have used it (see, for example, his piece "Black Angels" (as recorded, for example, by the Kronos Quartet)).
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 22:14

I'm familiar with glass harmonica. Does anyone know if Mike has ever used a real one? The use of glass harp in TBIII at Horse Guards Parade was a nice touch. Or was that as real as the big fake bells?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 13:49

I was in Madrid last week and passed a busker playing water-filled glasses just off the Plaza Major.  Unfortunately, I was with a party hot-footing its way to a nearby restaurant before it filled with celebrating Spanish footy fans so there wasn't much time to take the music in.  He had gone when we came out several hours later.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 27 2008, 07:13

In that some of the themes in "Taurus 1" appear also in "QE2", the latter should perhaps be called "Taurus 1½"! The reappearance of themes gives the whole album a rather symphonic feel.
Profile PM 
59 replies since April 11 2005, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net