Harbinger (reprise) 0  [0.00%]
On My Heart 3  [10.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favorite section of part 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:16

Most of the album forums here seem to have a "what is your favorite track" poll so probably about time we had one for Music Of The Spheres. I am not sure if it should be an overall best track of the whole album or separate part 1 and part 2 polls. Since I can't choose myself between my two favourite tracks on the album (On My Heart and Harmonia Mundi) I went for two polls...

So, my favorite of part 1 - not surprisingly - is the wonderful On My Heart.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 12:41

Well at the moment I`m kind of torn between Silhouette,Shabda and On My Heart.Plumped for Shabda in the end just for the vast emotional range it invokes for me I suppose.Tough choice though.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 14:18

Shabda Addict 4ever \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 15:24

THE TEMPEST RULES ALL.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 14:25

I chose "Harbinger" - I think it's well thought out and satisfying. "Silhouette" is a close second for me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 20:38

So difficult to choose - but The Tempest wins for me, amazing on the record - 10 times more amazing live... Here Mike is doing something truly innovative and inspiring which I feel should point him to a future direction for his music whether classical or otherwise....

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 14:56

Don´t know yet - too early for me. I love the last part of Silhouette, all about Shabda, On my heart of course. Not so much into The Tempest so far - maybe it´s a grower???
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 03:07

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 25 2008, 15:24)
THE TEMPEST RULES ALL.

I received my hard copy today and, as I was listening, I began to wonder if Sir M might be right, after all.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 06:23

I agree! Tempest FTW!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 08:09

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 25 2008, 17:24)
THE TEMPEST RULES ALL.

Yep,it's a great tune,so powerful :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 09:53

To me it's a tie between Shabda and that gorgeous vocal beauty that's On my Heart. :) But I must admit that, unlike several people here ;), I love the very explicit Tubularisms of Harbinger and of its reprise.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:20

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 29 2008, 06:23)
I agree! Tempest FTW!

It's the one I just voted for.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:58

Tempest is winning? How Bizarre!

"Tempest" = "Met Pest" which is just how I feel when I get to that track on the album. It is the only track I tend to skip. Always astonishes me how opinions can differ so wildly between people who overall love the same music...

I'm also surprised how few votes Silhouette is getting.  Lovely track with its tinkling piano and harp (played by the invisible man as noted on the sleeve notes). I also feel it is the first point in the album where guitar really appears. I know there are some little bits before that but it is here that I suddenly feel "this work has some Mike guitar in it".

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 06:15

Quote (Matt @ April 03 2008, 05:58)
Tempest is winning? How Bizarre!

"Tempest" = "Met Pest" which is just how I feel when I get to that track on the album. It is the only track I tend to skip. Always astonishes me how opinions can differ so wildly between people who overall love the same music...

I'm also surprised how few votes Silhouette is getting.  Lovely track with its tinkling piano and harp (played by the invisible man as noted on the sleeve notes). I also feel it is the first point in the album where guitar really appears. I know there are some little bits before that but it is here that I suddenly feel "this work has some Mike guitar in it".

He he - I can see why you felt that - was a bit that way on my first listen.

It has grown on me (a lot), it is really the heart and soul of Part 1, and builds to a wonderful theme towards the end.  In my mind it is a link between TB and MOTS.
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 06:26

Quote (Matt @ April 03 2008, 05:58)
I'm also surprised how few votes Silhouette is getting.  Lovely track with its tinkling piano and harp

I too am surprised there hasn't been much mention of Silhouette. The 'tinkling' piano is a particularly touching piece for me. I don't generally like to talk in terms of 'favourites' but I did find myself repeatedly playing that tract over and over on the 1st day I heard it. That was the moment my heart was touched most.

Not been listening to MOTS for a few days. I guess I have phases when it's all MO music or nothing. I have to be in the mood for it though I get the impression that some of you listen to his music all the time, or maybe that's not the case.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
Gabo Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 09:20

For me it's Animus, by far.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 12:00

you don't like Tempest !!!! ???????????????????????????????

Ok, it is a joke of course, I get it ...
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 03:48

Shabda for me. A close follow up by Silhouette and Animus.
Profile PM 
outcast_arm Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 13:18

On My Hearth
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 15:22

Quote (outcast_arm @ April 09 2008, 17:18)
On My Hearth

The fire is growing dim
Tonight, the embers die-ing
It was the warmest fire I've
ever seen...

Welcome to tb.net outcast_arm!

--------------
Profile PM 
19 replies since Mar. 25 2008, 10:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net