Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Fanny Power, not as bad as it sounds...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 20:19

Not strictly an Oldfield cover, but a cover of an arrangement of a celtic folk standard that MO played another arrangement of [phew!].

The title has no allusions to female reproductive organs (or hip pouches if you're American). Fanny Power was the nickname of Francis Power, the daughter of some important family who lived in County Galway. It might be familiar to those who have browsed and collected Mike's rarer tracks. During the mid-80s he performed a live duet with Paddy Maloney known as 'Fanny Planxty Power' so named as it had another faster reel in the middle. If you can find it it's worth a listen.

On versions I've managed to listen to that had Cheiftans members playing, they decided to take it at a brisk tempo and have the melody above a minimal set of drones. However, I came across a good instruction book of Celtic Guitar that had this in arranged by the author Steve Baughman. I have grown very fond of altered tunings on the acoustic guitar and rarely play in 'standard' nowadays. This is in CGDGCD which allows for different chord voicings and tonalities. I think that an arrangement of 'Molly' would suit this tuning too.

fpower.mp3
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 20:26

An interesting track, good technique and good to see you still posting.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 23:26

It's actually a little disturbing how good of a guitar player you've become in such a short time :)

As for the recording itself, I found it a bit hot in places (where it would distort from level overload), and the bass could use a bit of rolling back, as it tends to overpower some of your higher melody notes.

I was not aware of those connotations for the word "fanny." You silly englishmen!

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 23:43

Wow, nice job, dude! That's really nice.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 11:04

very good playing indeed :)
nice pulloffs mate

way to go!
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: April 01 2006, 21:29

Sweet & amazing - thx alot.

Greetz,

d.

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 08:06

Wow. It hasn't been forgotten!

Thanks dkay and others :)
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 13 2006, 20:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net