Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Family Man< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 17 2009, 16:59

It means he's not as ferocious as he sounds, because he won't follow through with his threats

BTW - how can you have a "sulky smile" - I can't visualise what it would look like. I wouldn't have thought you could sulk and smile at the same time.

Are you sure it's not "sultry smile."(?)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 19:58

It's easy for me to criticize this song, as I dislike it intensely, but I think the lyrics are just another case of carelessness, not saying what they're supposed to (like "four am in the morning", in "Moonlight Shadow".).
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 07:59

Maggie reilly told us in an interview that Family Man was a joke on Rick Fenn... they wanted to make a parallel history referring to the "groupies" that met the band after the concerts...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 02:05

See my interview with Tim Cross for more background on this subject:

http://tubular.net/articles/07_11.shtml

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 02:44

:p my interpretation, mike is a family man, on occasion some women want a bit of fun, this irks mike, he is a man afterall and would give in if pushed but he doesnt he is a family man and would likely say p...off ok? im married, lol! deb
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 04:20

Quote (larstangmark @ June 19 2009, 08:05)
See my interview with Tim Cross for more background on this subject:

http://tubular.net/articles/07_11.shtml

Quite right, and my apologies.

I mixed both interviews (Maggie and Tim) and what I remembered was from your (excellent)  interview with Mr. Cross!  :cool:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 04:21

That'll be why he has so many kids by 3 different women then! :laugh:

Nah,Family Man is really very simple.Man gets propositioned by prostitute,says no,she keeps bugging him and he still says no but is starting to get a lttle uncertain and so on.And i've read the interview with Tim Cross about it being about Rick Fenn.It was written by all the members of the 'Mike Oldfield Groop' so it's not just Mike's interpretation or views.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 06:20

All I`ll say is there can`t be many people in that bar there if she keeps concentrating on poor old Rick.Or maybe the rest of the clientel is even less interested than he is,you know maybe it`s a Gay Bar or something?Or maybe it`s the "sulky smile" that`s simply putting everyone off.You`d have to be some kind of facial contortionist to pull that look off.I`ve been trying my utmost for the last couple of days here since Wiga mentioned it,and I can`t get anywhere near it.Anybody know a good cure for chronic lock-jaw btw??..

And then when you add to all that the fact that she keeps whiplashing everybody in the face with her hair everytime she turns around.Well that safe and secure family life is`nt looking quite so bad after all.

Which reminds me of a quote I read in the newspaper yesterday.."Men would find monogamy much more interesting if it did`nt sound so much like monotony"..Ahh but just like Rick my bark is also much worse than my bite,and I`ve been bored to tears for years...

You can`t help but wonder a little if Rick Fenn is still married to the same woman today?..You also can`t help wondering if the woman in the song ever went on to make any money in a gurning competition..But the biggest question of all must be..What the hell were the Mike Oldfield Group doing in a Gay Bar?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 07:45

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 19 2009, 06:20)
Or maybe it`s the "sulky smile" that`s simply putting everyone off.

Exactly.

I think you have to pout your bottom lip out, and at the same time do a lop-sided smile - (Impossible to do a full smile).

Not pretty.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 08:25

Lol.£10 and a goody bag to the first person to succesfully do a sulky smile and post a picture here.I won't be participating cos i'm pretty sure its a)not possible without causing permanent facial tissue damage and b)not the lyric at all.I think it's Sultry Smile.
And before you all try remember what your dear mother said."One day the wind will change and your face will stick like it".
Good luck y'all  :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 10:45

But the biggest question of all must be..What the hell were the Mike Oldfield Group doing in a Gay Bar?

Let's fact it, if you had a moustache in 1982 you were either insane or homosexual.   :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 19 2009, 22:13

Quote (larstangmark @ June 19 2009, 15:45)
But the biggest question of all must be..What the hell were the Mike Oldfield Group doing in a Gay Bar?

Let's fact it, if you had a moustache in 1982 you were either insane or homosexual.   :p

:D Maybe that`s what attracted John Oates to the record?..

Anyway on inspection of the record sleeve,I`ve decided that the bar was just plain "dead"..As I initialy suspected in fact.Plus let`s face it 1982 or no 1982..what in the name of Zandra Rhodes has she get on?..Red leopard skin leggings and a pair of wellies...  :O Blimey it`s hardly surprising she`s not getting anywhere in that get up.."His for a price" indeed!..Couldn`t have been much more than what the props department got paid that`s for sure.The mind boggles..

Meanwhile the guy`s thinking.."Why the hell is there a bowl full of grapes sitting on the bar"?.."Please get me out of this photograph and back to my catalogue work"!

That said I`d say it still marginaly shades this "effort" below..

Is it just me or does it look like Oates is trying out some body-popping manouveres there?..Whilst still managing to hang his cream jacket over his left shoulder at the same time..Man those guys were smooth.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 20 2009, 03:41

I just in overall think that the lyrics is about a man fighting to keep his penis in his pants
He knows he has a family back home but he is also horny and the moral issues pops up...  

The original Family man is a very mediocre number but after listening to the live version
recorded in that awesome performance in Wembley 1983, I like the version very much.
Maggie & Roger (and of course Mike) is really kicking ass in that version (also Five miles out) (hell...in fact the whole concert is brilliant)
:cool:
32 replies since Mar. 05 2001, 21:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net