Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Faint squeek sound at 17:43< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2003, 18:18

I have heard this for years and years and always wondered what it was.To me,it sounds as if someone has scuffed their rubber trainer accross a polished floor or moved something that has created a friction noise that came out on the recording.

Have a listen and see what you think.These are the kinds of things that lend such an endearing atmosphere to the original as opposed to the new digital way of recording.I don't think Mike would welcome little clitches such as this anymore.

Does anyone know of any other little cliches that make this such a wonderfull album?
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2003, 06:08

To my own (cloth?) ears, that's Mike sliding off (or hitting a not-totally-right note) on one of his guitar parts.

Yeah, in the new recording he won't preserve the original TB's 'glitches'. That's just why he's re-doing it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2003, 17:17

To me this sounds like it is coming from a distance not from his guitar unless they had some kind of reverb which makes it sound that way but the guitar riff doesn't sound treated with any FX.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 15:27

I have always thought it was a bum note from Mike - note how he recreates it at the end of Moonshine (as far as I remember).

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2003, 17:56

Quote (Man In The Rain @ Feb. 20 2003, 15:27)
I have always thought it was a bum note from Mike - note how he recreates it at the end of Moonshine (as far as I remember).

Ah!!, so you spotted it, the brilliance of Mike Oldfield.

He does a bum note on Tubular Bells, so to cover his tracks he then re-introduces the same effect in Moonshine, so that one day a dedicated fan would spot this.

Good grief, I would not like to be Mike, stuck on a fan club cruise ship, answering all these weird and wonderfull picky questions, what next, excuse me Mr Oldfield "what underware did you have on when you recorded TB1, and was it necessary to use the same pair during TB3"

If I were him I would jump ship, as James T Kirk once said to his trekie fans "Get a life".

I think we badly need TB2003 so we have something to get our teeth (and ears) into.

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2003, 20:54

Uuugh sorry I messed up again, I thought everyone was talking about the ending of the sailor's hornpipe. never noticed this squeeek at 17:43, probably never will. that's what you get when you come on here at 1 in the morning before going to sleep  :zzz:

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2003, 05:26

No problem!!

:D We will put you down in the list for the next Mike Oldfied fan cruise round the Bahamas :D
P.S. If its the Bahamas then I am coming too.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 27 2003, 18:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net