Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Extreme, Similar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2005, 15:33

I am curious to know if anyone else has heard "Midnight Express" by Extreme.  It is on their album titled "Waiting for the Punchline" which was released in 1995.  Nuno Bettencourt's guitar sounds almost idential to the guitar that Mike plays in Amarok that starts at 18:00.  I do not know much about guitars or guitar playing, but to me, they sound like the same exact song/notes.  Coincidence?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2005, 19:22

Well, there sure is some similarity in the speed and the general 'feel' of Nuno Bettencourt's playing, but I know him from other Extreme songs (I got all of their albums) as a fast, virtuoso, flashy player. On the other hand, Mike's 'fast riff' in Amarok (which is also at the very start, and in various other places) seems to me to be more technical than virtuoso. I know that there is a very thin difference between the two :), but maybe what really differentiates the two passages is that Nuno is just showing off, as he so often does [«Hear how fast I can play!» :D], Mike is playing, as only a real composer can, in addition to showing off as well. :) Plus, another difference is that Mike's riff is built on an irregular and difficult time signature, Nuno's is in a straight 4/4. Ispiration? Nah, I don't think there's any. I think each of them is doing his own thing. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
1 replies since June 29 2005, 15:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net