Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Experiment< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 26 2000, 00:15

Please take a little time for the following experiment.
Think of all albums Mike has done, one after the other. Then think about the year it was done. Think of where music in general was going at the time. Then think of where Mike was going.
For your convenience, I've listed them here, but it would be better if you looked at them, thought about the tracks on them and what they sound like, and even listened to them. (You can take as much time for this as you like.)

Tubular Bells - '73
Hergest Ridge - '74
The Orchestral Tubular Bells - '75
Ommadawn - '75
Incantations - '78
Exposed - '79
(Guilty and) Platinum - '79
QE2 - '80
Five Miles Out - '82
Crises - '83
Discovery - '84
The Killing Fields - '84
Islands - '87
Earth Moving - '89
Amarok - '90
Heaven's Open - '91
Tubular Bells II - '92
The Songs Of Distant Earth - '94
Voyager - '96
Tubular Bells III - '98
Guitars - '99
The Millennium Bell - '99
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 09:09

Right then, I'll be the first one to reply. I suppose this means I've got to stay now wink

When you look back at Mike's discography, it seems rather strange as some of the albums are extremely mainstream music for that time in history, whilst things like Tubular Bells where radically different for their time.

The first point, as often said by Archangel Foster, is Guilty. In the late 1970s, in the UK at least, the "new wave" of artists and music began, as did the era of disco. Guilty is an early disco tune, and pointed (I think) to what was going to happen to early 80s music and Platinum. I hope this is true, because unfortunately I've never heard Platinum, just Guilty and the live part on Complete Mike Oldfield.

Following on from this is the pair of long instrumental and short piece albums Crises and Five Miles Out, as well as QE2. The lack of album space devoted to instrumental pieces, when compared to TB, Ommadawn etc, shows that Mike was in transistion, from instrumentals to songs, as proven later on by Earth Moving, although he did then move back to instrumentals with Amarok (which is great, not his greatest but among his best, I've listened to it 6 times over the past 2 days along with HR). However, I feel that Amarok was more to do with a chance action that caused Mike to do this, ie Virgin and him disagreeing. If Mike had not had disagreements with Virgin but had continued writing songs, maybe he would never have come up with Amarok. And if he hadn't done the interview on the radio where he played a bit of TB by hand.

Then we move onto the last few albums. The Millennium Bell in particular. Over the past few years (in Western music anyway), music has become more electronic, with less actual instrument playing and more computers. In TMB, most of the album is electronic, showing that Mike is following the trail of today's music. Also, the extensive use of computers points towards Sonic VR.

Dance music has become popular over the past few years too. TBIII was apparently Mike's attempt at dance (but IMHO it isn't dance), but TMB is more dance-like, especially the title track. Like Guilty, which was a dance-disco track, TMB shows Mike's modernisation of his music.

Going back a bit, in the mid 80s, singles artists were more popular than album artists, so pop songs were more popular than the albums. This coincided with the advent of CDs. Thus, one-hit wonders were very common then, artists who had a hit song but then faded. With all this opportunity in the singles market, perhaps this is why Mike Oldfield continued to write songs (although Virgin did also want this thanks to the success of Moonlight Shadow).

There are many other points to be made which I am looking forward to reading. Hopefully Mike Oldfield will not completely follow todays mainstream music though. I would not buy an album of his where the pieces are all songs performed with a boy/girl band.

-Tim-

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 10:02

Dear Tim,

I'm glad you decided to stay. And you exactly got my point. As you rightly say, though, there is a lot more to be discovered here. One little addition of mine: Voyager came out at a time when everything remotely Celtic was extremely fashionable.
Oh, and even if he did that boy-group thing (which I don't think he will), surely he would return after that with the most terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect thing he's ever come up with wink. His discography tells us so.
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 15:26

First of all his first album 'Tubular Bells'.I think that these thing is used from Mike's child ideas for the concept of music , and the ideas he wants to play.Than after that come 'Hergest Ridge' where you can see some new style with more electrical guitars on it.The part with a snow bells I think comes from Mike's idea to create some 'Christmas' ambience in his music.The other inspiration of this album is taken from the place where Mike lives in that period ( by the ridge ).Then comes 'OTB' an album wich is I think ordered from the 'Royal Family'.'Ommadaawn' followed after 'OTB' and here you can see some eerie music inspirated by the psihological problems that Mike had in this period.After 3 years break comes his 4-th studio album called 'Incantations'.This long piece of music (almost 73 min.) marked the beginning of Mike's more progresive style of music that the best is seen in 'Platinum'. 'QE2' was not so progresive like 'Platinum' but there is a bit of progresion in there. 'Five Miles Out' and 'Crises' was one come back in a 'Platinum' style of music.Then comed 'Discovery' that show us a little callmiest and more spiritual style of music from Mike Oldfield.In this conception Mike continiued to work in an 'Island' project after making his first ( and last for now ) film soundrack for David Puttnam's movie 'The Killing Fields'.'Earth Moving' one of the biggest comercial albums of Mike Oldfield followed after 'Islands'.Clearly you can see hear that this is not the music that Mike wonts to make it.As a result of that come 10 song with a tippicaly pop sound from the early 80's.This was the only reason that Mike was in fight with 'Virgin'.As result of his angryness in the followed two years came two progresive albums ( one instrumental so called 'Amarok' and his biggest stupid album 'Heaven's Open'.).Then is over.Mike was back in his old style with 'Tubular Bells 2'.Then came his best ( for me ) albums : the cosmical 'Songs of Distant Earth' and spiritual and celtic 'Voyager'.After Mike has moved in Ibiza he produced more diverse songs from 'Voyager' and as result of that came 'Tubular Bells 3'- An album that contans many themes from Spain like lambada , flamingo , spanish dance , spanish guitars ,but also and others styles.'Guitars' was music that contains only music from Mike's guitars and finaly six months after realising of 'Guitars' came his millennium project called 'The Millennium Bell' in wich Mike showed us a full spectrum of styles like folk,classic,pop,christmas,techno,dance,african music,new age,ambiental,celtic etc.This cames because Mike traveled a lot before he recorded 'TMB'.His style for 27 years is different and different but one thing is shore.Mike never do the same things.So in the future you never expect to hear something same from this man.So thats all from my longes post for now.I hope that this review has helpful for you. redface
Gorjan
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 15:48

Gorjan,
I'm very surprised that you speak of Incantations as the first album of the 'new era', because to me it clearly is the last of the 'old era'. Only after that came the 'big break' with 'Guilty' (I'm afraid I repeat myself), complete with disco beats, pulsating synthesizers and a really danceable athmosphere. And this style was developed further on Platinum, although we also hear some calmer stuff here like 'Woodhenge' - and then there are the two songs, which are absolutely untypical for what Mike had done up to then - but still they're very Mike!
Also I think that Five Miles Out and Crises are not really in Platinum style. To me, Platinum clearly is 'late 70s music', while with Five Miles Out and Crises he really has arrived in the 80s. I'd have to do some analysis now to prove my point, but I don't really feel like it today smile.
You can argue about whether Mike did what he wanted to do on Earth Moving. I think he did.
And one more thing, what do you call a 'progressive style'? Why do you think Incantations is more progressive than Ommadawn? Do you mean that it was more up do date? Once again, I think that Platinum really is the point where he departed from his 70s style.
And Tubular Bells II is in Mike's 'old' style? I don't think that either. To me, it rather sounds like Amarok, only less 'insane'. The music may of course be quite reminiscent of Tubular Bells, but the sound is absolutely 90s-like.
BTW, isn't it interesting how different people feel so very differently about Mike's 'periods' and 'styles'? And how among those who think his new works are 'bad', there is not at all any agreement about which one was the last 'good' album?

PS. I've decided not to abbreviate the album titles any more, because for the most part they are beautiful and always worth mentioning. (Except, IMO, for TMB, so I'll stick with that abbr.)
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 05:41

Tubular Bells II shows Mike's continuing links to mainstream music. Computers played more of a part in this album ("Digital Sound Processor"), whereas Tubular Bells was performed completely by hand. How many rock/popular music albums since 1992 have been completely free of computers/synthesisers/small creatures that are easily bribed with Guiness? (Note: rhetorical question). So Tubular Bells II is a 90s album, in sound anyway, although minus the syrupy vocals.

I personally don't feel Mike's last few albums (well, Tubular Bells III and TMB anyway, I haven't got Guitars yet frown ) are bad, I feel that Tubular Bells III is exceptional, and the music of TMB isn't overly bad, but the concept was a bit far-fetched and the cover and notes...AAARGH. The only album I don't overly like is Earth Moving, because, although most of Mike's songs I don't mind, most of them don't get me hooked.

But I don't really think there are any periods of Mike's music, his career is a bit like Amarok with bits that flow together but cannot be removed without spoiling the flow.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 20:07

Tim, I agree. What I was actually trying to get at is this: There are no real 'phases' or 'periods' in Mike's work - what you hear on the individual albums is always Mike reflecting on what was going on at the time. From the very beginning on. (With of course some additions of what he himself was discovering at the time.)
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 00:34

I've been thinking about Mike working with a boy band, and I've decided that he doesn't really need to work with one of the bands to create an album of that kind. As he's got all his computer gizmos and whatnot, he could just record some vocals, and then slightly distort them a number of times to create the effect of x vocals. Excuse me while I now think this over...

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2002, 20:51

I would like to reply, although I have no idea what my reply will be about. I suppose one of the main things that I have soon, especially on posts like do fans expect too much?, is that many people make a clear distinction between mikes 'old style' and 'new style'. This new style seems to have started with The Songs of Distant Earth. Many people seem to think that
Mike's new style is poor, and that he should go back to the old style. I myself, if I had to, would place the start of Mike's good music and one of his Best Albums, Five Miles Out. There are some good albums before this (Platinum and Tubular Bells mainly), but in my mind the seventies were not his best period for music. Five Miles Out, and all the albums up until Earth Moving, had just the right amount of instrumentals. IMO, a whole album of instrumentals can get boring if, like Hergest Ridge or Incantations, it becomes too repetitive. With Incantations in particular, my fovourite bit is right at the end of Part 4 mad. Earth moving was not his best album, but still good, while Amarok was an album done, IMO, almost perfectly. If Heaven's Open had, in my view, one of his weaker instrumentals (in places), Tubular Bells II was perfect in just about every way I could think of. Songs of Distant Earth was slightly repetitive after the first 30 minutes, and the Celtic stuff on Voyager was too droning for my taste. Tubular Bells III was also perfect, with as many styles of music is you could fit onto an album, and just the right amount of Techno. Guitars was OK (Muse Rocks!!) while the Millennium Bell is one of his most misunderstood albums, and I enjoy listening to it a lot.

Well, that was my blah. If any of that had a point, please tell me! rolleyes

Also, visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

This would have to be my longest post so far. He he he...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:23

lets just all of his albums are cool and leave it at that.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:23

lets just all of his albums are cool and leave it at that.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 06 2002, 01:22

I agree!! All his albums are very good, they are all very inventive, especially the old ones, and Amarok. No-one would have made anythin like Amarok if he didn't, and no-one would have made a Tubular Bells if he didn't. He is, primarily, an 'explorer' or music, with so many styles :folk, rock, instrumental, pop, disco, dance, celtic, flamenco, jazz, ambient (sort of), mad, nearly everything. The only other artists I've found as varied than him are Moby (especially the album Play) and prehaps the Beatles. With so many styles, its impossable not to life something of his!

--------------
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 00:07

goodies. i like to see people agreeing with me.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2002, 05:34

Another thing I've found is that if you stop listening to an album (even one you don't like) for a few months, then really listen to it, really paying attention, you will probably like it. I have found this a lot with Mike's music. It also helps if you have a live version as well. Albums like TSODE, Guitars, Millennium Bell and even Tubular Bells are ones I have rediscovered like this. So give it a go, you might be surprised.

--------------
Profile PM 
13 replies since Dec. 26 2000, 00:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net