30-35 15  [14.71%]
36-40 13  [12.75%]
41-50 13  [12.75%]
60-70 0  [0.00%]
70+ 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: everyones age?, whats the age of mike oldfield fans< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bonkers Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2005, 04:44

hi i was just wondering how old mikes fans where as i think i must be one of the youngest alive : :p  (17)
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 05 2005, 07:38

Though I'm 21 now, I was 16 when I signed up. Shows just how long this website's been going for!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 09:28

I am pleasantly surprised that so far, there are quite a few youngsters (I'm 39 and turning 40 on Sunday so to me, you are young!;).

It probably explains why there is so much debate on here around Mike's best material. I got into Mike from TB1 - aged 8 in 1973. I loved it then and love it now and have never looked back since. It inspired me to explore all manner of music from New Age to Progressive Rock and my CD collection is all the richer and varied for getting into Mike Oldfield from such an early age!  :D

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 11:16

Quote (T4 @ April 07 2005, 09:28)
I am pleasantly surprised that so far, there are quite a few youngsters (I'm 39 and turning 40 on Sunday so to me, you are young!;).

It probably explains why there is so much debate on here around Mike's best material. I got into Mike from TB1 - aged 8 in 1973.

Close!  I'm 38, soon to be 39 and I got into Mike from TB1 aged 9 or 10 in 1975.

I too went down the Prog Rock road but I ultimately found it to be a dead end.  Mike though, to me, is something else entirely - a master composer!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 13:23

Quote (familyjules @ April 07 2005, 11:16)
I too went down the Prog Rock road but I ultimately found it to be a dead end.  Mike though, to me, is something else entirely - a master composer!

I went down the prog rock road until I found a lot of roadkill in the middle of it (Sex Pistols and the rest of Punk Rock). I held my nose, stepped around it, and kept on going down the road.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: April 07 2005, 13:43

Quote (hiawatha @ April 07 2005, 13:23)
Quote (familyjules @ April 07 2005, 11:16)

I went down the prog rock road until I found a lot of roadkill in the middle of it (Sex Pistols and the rest of Punk Rock). I held my nose, stepped around it, and kept on going down the road.

That's pretty much what I did. The greats of the 70s compromised their sound to the extent they were no longer progressive; the neo-progressive acts of the 80s tried to refresh the genre but this in my mind, was not progressive but regressive, however good it was; then the 90s and the 00s truly moved progressive rock on to greater heights with the likes of Opeth, Anathema and many Scandanavian Gothic Rock bands (Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, Tristania, The Sins of Thy Beloved, etc), blurring the boundaries between Death/Doom/Metal/Gothic Rock and Prog - thus creating new sounds for the ear.

Throw in the likes of Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, The Flower Kings, The Ozric Tentacles, plus some post rock like Godspeed You Black Emporer! and Sigur Ros; oh and don't forget the neo-classical arrangements of Lacrimosa; the Space rock of Ozric Tentacles....the list is endless. There is so much going on in the scene that it's so difficult to keep up and is very exciting. So many different sounds and I haven't even touched on those having commercial success like Radiohead and Muse.

But, as always, I save the best till last. If you haven't heard The Mars Volta, then you are missing out on the finest Progressive Rock band around at the moment. Don't even think about it - just buy 'Deloused at the Comatorium' and 'Frances the Mute'. Mindblowing.  :cool:

PS Sorry, I get a bit carried away with my love of prog.  :/

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 15:56

What happened to the 51-60 group?
Profile PM 

Posted: April 07 2005, 20:45

LOL - I hadn't noticed that oversight!  :O  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 01:20

XVI :p

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 04:38

Quote (hiawatha @ April 07 2005, 13:23)

Is it still even relevant to talk about 'punk rock'?  It's become almost as dated and cliched as 'prog rock'.  Punk was a reaction to prog, and maybe it was an OVERreaction, but anyone who has ever had a hacking cough in the morning knows that sometimes you gotta have a good clear out!

:p

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 04:44

I'm 21 now but started really getting into Mike Oldfields music when TB3 came out, so i was 15 or 16 then. :D
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 16:17

Quote (T4 @ April 07 2005, 15:28)
I'm 39 and turning 40 on Sunday so to me, you are young!

Happy 40th birthday for Sunday T4, Hope you have a good un!!! I am pleasantly surprised to see that the younger age range is winning this poll... im 37 but was 15 when i really got into Mike when FMO came out.

For the record, my daughter is eight and loves Mikes music, especially Moonlight Shadow and Cuckoo Song?

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 08 2005, 17:59

I'm 34, and so glad about the fact that I'm not alone in my age group. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 11 2005, 15:23

Quote (familyjules @ April 08 2005, 04:38)
Is it still even relevant to talk about 'punk rock'?  It's become almost as dated and cliched as 'prog rock'.  Punk was a reaction to prog, and maybe it was an OVERreaction, but anyone who has ever had a hacking cough in the morning knows that sometimes you gotta have a good clear out!

That's something I basically wish had never happened, and it is the worst trend/event that I can think of in music. It is like cutting down a forest because someone likes the feel of the chainsaw biting into wood. When it is all over, the forest is gone.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 11 2005, 15:28

Quote (Alan D @ April 07 2005, 15:56)
What happened to the 51-60 group?

Heh. If Mike himself happened along and wanted to vote, he couldn't!

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 04:31

Quote (hiawatha @ April 11 2005, 15:23)
That's something I basically wish had never happened, and it is the worst trend/event that I can think of in music. It is like cutting down a forest because someone likes the feel of the chainsaw biting into wood. When it is all over, the forest is gone.

Don't talk silly, Hiawatha, "the forest is gone"?  Which forest went anywhere?  Yes are still touring, Genesis had more hits in the 80s than ever before, Pink Floyd put on The Wall - punk didn't destroy prog rock - it just shook up the scene a little and made some folks re-evaluate what rock and roll was about.  Having a knee jerk "worst thing that ever happened" attitude to punk some 30 years after the event is a little anal retentive, dear boy - time to move on methinks!

Chainsaws biting into wood do make a pretty neat sound though.  I wonder if Mike will use one on Amarok II?  ;)

The worse trend I can think of in music is techno because it gives me a horrible migraine.  See - I'm basing my opinion on health reasons rather than tribal loyalty here.  Heh.

:D

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 08:28

The analogy was weak, but as for "what happened 30 years ago", I think things would have been much better of prog had continued to flourish and punk had never happened.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 08:53

Quote (hiawatha @ April 12 2005, 08:28)
The analogy was weak, but as for "what happened 30 years ago", I think things would have been much better of prog had continued to flourish and punk had never happened.

Ah well, I must respect your opinion, but as I've said before I was glad punk came along as by 1974/5/6 I think the rock music establishment had become self satisfied, dull and pampered.

And nobody of any stature lost their careers or fanbase.  

Mind you, punk did seem to nudge Mike along the road to making 3 minute pop songs, something I have ambivalent feelings about.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 11:08

Punk also inspired "Punkadiddle", which I have heard hundreds of times, but still have not made up my mind about!

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 12 2005, 19:44

Quote (familyjules @ April 12 2005, 13:53)
Mind you, punk did seem to nudge Mike along the road to making 3 minute pop songs, something I have ambivalent feelings about.

Jules

Was punk a good thing? I don't know on that one.  As a kid in 1977 or so I used to find Punks  scary :/ . Maybe Punk did give music a kick up the backside, but it's bands such as Queen, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, PinK Floyd etc that people wanted to see.

Mike making 3 minute pop songs, if they were all as good as Moonlight Shadow then great, but "Shine" IMHO terrible      :( .  I love the first four of Mike's albums, plus I like his albums from TB2 onwards, especially TB3 and TSODE.

I think I'v e gone a bit off topic here, I'm 33,(34 in July), BTW, going on 18!!!  I feel as if I'm in my second youth. I feel more energetic and lively now than I did when I was 17/18     :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
106 replies since April 05 2005, 04:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net