Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Etude #1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 16 2004, 15:44

http://tubular.net/mp3/olivier/Etude1.mp3 6.6MB

Every 2 or 3 weeks, I play in a band. We don't spend much time doing music, so please be tolerant... But criticisms are more than welcomed. This is a recording of a tune I wrote, it's our first try. I told them the chords, we played it one time, and then recorded this take. Tons of mistakes and problems. Maybe we'll add someone rapping on it (!) (suggestion of the bassist), and keep some singing during the bridge (the girl who sings unexepectedly did so, I planned to make it a slow instrumental, but we played it faster with some voices). The sounds of the keyboard and the guitar will probably be completely changed too. And the drums will not change all the time. In this take, the guy just tried different possibilities.
We'll try out new sounds at home, and in 2 or 3 weeks, we'll do a new version...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 16 2004, 18:22

A nice start! I would imagine that quite a lot could be made out of this.

My suggestion, other than doing what you're already planning (rehearsing it, getting the playing tighter and so on) would be to look for ways of bringing in more variation during the piece. I actually think that the drummer switching patterns is a good thing and could be especially interesting if it were accompanied by other changes in the instrumentation at the same time.
It could be good to have a section where everything drops out apart from, say, bass and drums, to then be joined by a quiet vocal melody which slowly builds. I vote for putting in a guitar solo as well, and having the guitar duet with the singer! Perhaps adding another section which it build up to could be interesting.

Just some ideas anyway, keep experimenting!
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2004, 19:19

Good chord progressions. Lots in the way for improvising with

It sounds a bit like a Pink Floyd instrumental interlude - that's a compliment! I can imagine this being part of a song where, after the lyrics have finished, the band launches into this track. Would make a great idea for a concept album

It gets a bit lengthy and repetive after the five-minute mark - four to five minutes would be an ideal length. It's showing a lot of promise though, I can't wait to hear a more polished version
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 16 2004, 22:01

Thanks for the comments. It was not meant to be that long, we were practicing and didn't agree on a number of repetitions before starting, which is very dangerous for this kind of piece... I tried a few times to slow down to give them a hint, but since I often have some problems with the rythmn, they probably thought I was again out of beat... I thought it would never end...
The way I saw it was for the guitar to be on solo all along (with only a few very expressive notes, maybe in David Gilmour's style) and for the drums to become more and more intense, but then the chords are repeated again, so, like Korgscrew suggested, some variations would be welcomed. But the way we work (it was our 2nd jam session together), everyone in the band adds his personal touch, so I'm not sure what it will become...
It's like an infinite loop, it goes up and up and up, and then it reaches the starting chord, an octave upper, so we actually go an octave lower at that point (I don't like this part, I'll try to find something better) to restart again and again, otherwise my hands would fall to the ground at the right of the keyboard...
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 20 2004, 11:00

it's promising :)
I do like the "loop" and if you bring more variation to it, it can become a strong hit here in fan tracks ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: May 30 2004, 18:58

Nice "approximation" of  Nick Mason drummimg style, ala " Echoes" /"Atom Heart Mother" peroid.
Bass player is really fine.

(edit)  Great chord progression and  the good spirit of the group is very evident. I would love to hear this after you've  expanded upon the raw idea.
Great stuff!
Tony

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Ecco Offline

Posted: July 06 2004, 08:18

We look foward to hearing this when it is finished!
:)

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since May 16 2004, 15:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net