Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Enya, what album do you recommend?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 14:43

I really only have som few songs from her. I know she haves oustanding songs and i like her voice, style very much.
I also have some music videos, and they are faboulus to watch. It is so dreaming and wonderful...

But she have so many albums... so i dont know where to start!!
So what album do you recommend??
Would be nice if someone did a short review or something..

thanks  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 16:39

Hello,

I haven't heard her complete discograhy. However, I'd recommend Shepherd moons, and A Day Without Rain for the first try. I'd write a bit more 'bout them, but maybe tommorow, yaaaawn ;) You know, Enya is one of these artist, who don't change the mood from one album to another...

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 17:29

I'd recommend her "best of" collection "Paint the sky with stars", or one of her two box sets, "A box of dreams" and "Only time - the collection". Something I'm usually told, especially by fans of an artist or a band, that if you have nothing by that artist/band you should always start with an individual album and never with a "best of", because (this is what I'm told) "best of" collections are the real killers of someone's musical output. Well, to put it quite frankly, I think this is crap. :D If a "bes -of" or "greatest hits" collection (especially when very nicely built, as in this case) of an artist or a band (of which you don't own anything) is available, I think it's the    best way to start knowing the artist's music.

However, if you still wish to start with an individual album, go for "Watermark". That's the one that broke Enya into the mainstream, and it's still one of her most popular albums, so go for it. :)

P.S. Enya only did seven albums so far (not counting the "Frog Prince" soundtrack which sounds nothing like Enya). I don't think seven albums are 'so many'. :-)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 18:56

Try any capercaillie album - there you will hear enya's sister sing!

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 19:44

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 27 2006, 23:29)
P.S. Enya only did seven albums so far (not counting the "Frog Prince" soundtrack which sounds nothing like Enya). I don't think seven albums are 'so many'. :-)

hehe  ;)
well i thought she had more...
But sometimes when you dont know the the musican you don't see the different on what album is what.
I remember when i first bought Mike. I could not see the different on XXV and TSODE, they had the same style. And i also thougt that the album "Guitars" was guitar versions from tb 3 and other albums. Like "Cochise" sounded like "Jewel in the Crown".

There are many ways the release company folks confuse like that.
What about
"Music Wonderland" Mike Oldfield
"Odyssey" Vangelis
"The Chain" Fleetwood Mac
"Brothers in arms" Dire straits
"Love, Sensuality and Devotion" Enigma

no one of these titles tell me that they are best of cd's.
But on the other hand they sound like more interesing.
best of, essential, collection ect ect sounds like a cd you really dont want have.

But anyway,
thanks for help ;)

i'll go for Watermark...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 19:46

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 28 2006, 00:56)
Try any capercaillie album - there you will hear enya's sister sing!

Ray  :cool:

i will try that one too Ray ;)
thanks!!

update;
now i have downloaded a capercaillie album or folder ;) he he
I find song i really love; Ailein Duinn
So nice! I think i have it on my celtic cd. (some of them)
Nice and calm....
I did not know that was her sister!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 09:03

Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 28 2006, 01:44)
best of, essential, collection ect ect sounds like a cd you really dont want have.

Well, Tubularman, I have to say that I don't really understand you. Why does a "best of" CD sounds to you like a CD you don't want to have?! This would be understandable, IMHO, if you already have everything an artist has released, or most of his/her/their output - just in this case a 'best of' CD sounds to me like absoutely useless, 'a CD you don't want to have'. ;) But you're saying that you have almost nothing of Enya - so why a 'best of' CD of her would be useless for you? :)

And, by the way, "Music Wonderland", "Odyssey" and Enigma's "LSD" actually are 'best of' or 'collection' CDs. They're just not labeled as such, but they are indeed collections. :D "The Chain" and "Brothers in Arms", on the other hand, are individual albums and not collections.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 11:19

hmm..let me make me more clear..
i like best of cd's, but they can confuse you when you want to get known with an artist. Because, i like Enya; i allready have one best of cd, but i did not mention that he he.. sorry
I really look after a good album of Enya. But there are so many other titles then best of on albums.
"The chain" Fleetwood mac, is a best album for me even if there are few "new" songs on it, because it contains other songs from other albums.
What i look for Enya, is a album.
One had 9 albums of her, just one of these had the title "best of", on dc++ The other folders had titles that did not tell me if it was album or best of. And she have 7 studio albums?
I dont know Enya so much so i really wanted to hear if someone had a studio album to recommend. If i download all the 7 albums it getting too much listen.
I hoped she maybe had a good album with a red line, if you understand?? Alot of "best of cd's" dont have a red line, just theyre best hits from 1960 - 2000. I dont think "the chain" have a red line ;)
And if i find a album of Enya i like i buy it! ;) just to let everybody know he he.. I taste it first, then buying..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 11:56

Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 27 2006, 19:44)
There are many ways the release company folks confuse like that.
What about
...."Brothers in arms" Dire straits....

no one of these titles tell me that they are best of cd's.

As far as I can tell, "Brothers in Arms" was originally released as a collection of new studio tracks (i.e. a typical new album), not a "best of". However, it is full of hits, so I can see how someone might think of it as a "best of" album!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 14:58

Brothers in Arms is an original album, and one of the greatest ever, you might be getting confused with Money For Nothing, which is a compilation album.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 17:34

Quote (amazarak @ Nov. 27 2006, 21:39)
Hello,

I haven't heard her complete discograhy. However, I'd recommend Shepherd moons, and A Day Without Rain for the first try. I'd write a bit more 'bout them, but maybe tommorow, yaaaawn ;) You know, Enya is one of these artist, who don't change the mood from one album to another...

cheers
amazarak

Hey Amazerak - can I borrow your hair dresser?

:D   Ray    :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 18:04

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 28 2006, 23:34)

Hey Amazerak - can I borrow your hair dresser?
:D   Ray    :cool:

Don't cut nor comb Your hair for about 3 years, and that's it. You might want to wash them eventually.

Heheh, I'm joking of course...

This is not my real pic, this is a character from a Polish s-f movie for children. His name can be translated to English as ... Shaggy ;)

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2006, 19:50

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Nov. 28 2006, 20:58)
Money For Nothing, which is a compilation album.

Money for nothing could confuse people with the title too ;)
But i know it is not, i have that one, but i thought Brothers in arms was. But that album have a better version of "So far away".
The version from Money for nothing is too short!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2006, 09:25

Quote (amazarak @ Nov. 28 2006, 18:04)
This is not my real pic, this is a character from a Polish s-f movie for children. His name can be translated to English as ... Shaggy ;)

What is the Polish name they use for the Scooby character?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2006, 11:19

"Scooby" (as well as "Scrappy") is leaved untranslated. As far as I remember though, Shaggy IS translated directly to the name of my avatar: "Kud&#322;acz".

cheers

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2006, 14:49

Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 29 2006, 00:50)
Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Nov. 28 2006, 20:58)
Money For Nothing, which is a compilation album.

Money for nothing could confuse people with the title too ;)
But i know it is not, i have that one, but i thought Brothers in arms was. But that album have a better version of "So far away".
The version from Money for nothing is too short!!

Well i prefer the shorter version of Money For Nothing myself, the outro is too long, Mark Knopfler has said the same too, he said if he were to record it today it would'nt be that long, it might have been better if it had a proper guitar solo like the live version.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2006, 04:13

Im Hoping to get the New Album " Amarantine" for Xmas which has 4 Bonus tks on it..   Im sold on the Title Tk after seeing her perform it on Tof the Pops....  :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2007, 15:18

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 27 2006, 22:29)
I'd recommend her "best of" collection "Paint the sky with stars", or one of her two box sets, "A box of dreams" and "Only time - the collection".

I'm on the verge of buying one of the boxes, but I can't see any reason for choosing one rather than the other. The selection of tracks seems almost (albeit not quite) identical, with the tracks presented in a different order - what was the point of issuing both sets, I wonder?

Anyway - Ugo - which would you buy? (They're currently the same price on Amazon.)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2007, 18:51

@ Alan: I have both... I bought "A box of dreams" because of all the b-sides included in it, and I also bought three singles afterwards, because the box doesn't include all of Enya's b-sides - some are only on singles. ;) Some time later, I got "Only time" as a present.
The only substantial differenced between the two are 1) that "Only time" features the eponymous song and other material from Enya's most recent album at the time, 2004's "A day without rain", and 2) there's plenty of interesting comments from Roma Ryan in the booklet, while "Dreams" doesn't feature any comments anywhere. ;) Warner (or WEA) issued "Only time" because "Dreams" was out of print in most countries, including Italy. Now it's being reprinted almost everywhere. So, in a nutshell: if you wish to have a very good perspective on all of Enya's career up to 2004, go for "Only time". If you're not interested in her newer stuff, and you like her b-side songs, get "Dreams". ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 07 2007, 07:41

Regarding Brothers in Arms, only the remastered version had the longer version of So Far Away.  Money for Nothing and Why Worry were also longer.  Your Latest Trick had a sax intro that was totally absent from the original version of the album.

Frankly I think the remastered version totally ruined those tracks.  I remember when I first heard the remastered version, and thought "what HAVE they done?"  I asked a friend about it, and he said "oh yeah great album"... then I said "what about the remaster?"  and he replied "oh God, that was terrible... almost as bad as Twisting by the Pool!".

How did we get into a discussion about Dire Straits in an Enya thread?  :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
29 replies since Nov. 27 2006, 14:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net