personally I find these very good

Crime Of Passion
Far Country
Gimme Back

what´s your favorite?
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 17:18

It depends what your criteria are. If you dislike mixed metaphors,you'll rule out "Flying Start"; if you dislike tautologies you'll rule out "Moonlight Shadow", etc. "Islands" and "Runaway Son" are probably my favourites.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 19:22

I think the lyrics of "Foreign Affair" really work along with the music. They make me think of luxury, cocaine and repressed feelings. An unintentional masterpiece I guess.

Apart from that I think "Crime of Passion" has a good lyric, although an uncharacteristically serious one.
Songs like "Into Wonderland" and "Talk About Your Life" are basic but good.

The real problems began with Islands, but this was the "no bashing" thread so... :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 19:24

For me the best combination of poetry and meaninglessness is "Northpoint". Regarding the best lyric who actually has a meaning [well... sort-of!] I'd tend to agree with Daniel/Nightspore above here and say "Islands". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 01:54

I can enjoy a song, even if the lyrics don't work for me, as long as the music is good. An example of this is "Blue Night". And now this discussion makes me want to hold a MO Song Party.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 05:32

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 03 2009, 19:24)
For me the best combination of poetry and meaninglessness is "Northpoint".

I'm surprised you think "North Point" is meaningless, Ugo... I always thought it was about some tourist attraction building (perhaps on the north point of an island) that was once a prison but now serves as a focal point for prayers (inspired by all the past instances of man's inhumanity to man). Does anyone know the official "take" on this song?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 07:31

@ Daniel/Nightspore: I know what "Northpoint" is supposed to be about, but any meaning that may be there is kind-of smothered (IMHO) by the complete meaninglessness of lines such as "way beyond the searchlight / comes alive" or "and from a silent tomb / they took it to the heart / and left for the moon". :D I just think it's too beautifully poetical to really convey the serious meaning it's supposed to have. As I said above, it's really nice as a piece of poetry and of course it sounds great, but its meaning is cloudy, and perhaps kept intentionally cloudy. Also, I guess that no-one has an official "take" on the song, not even Mike O. - as far as I know, all he cares about his lyrics is that they sound good. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 20:04

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 04 2009, 07:31)
any meaning that may be there is kind-of smothered (IMHO) by the complete meaninglessness of lines such as "way beyond the searchlight / comes alive" or "and from a silent tomb / they took it to the heart / and left for the moon".

Ugo: I agree that the second of your quotations can be interpreted only metaphorically, but I think the first gains a concrete meaning if you look at it not just in terms of what you have quoted but in terms of what goes before:

"Somewhere far above, has a new day risen
Way beyond the searchlight, comes alive"

Here, it's the "new day risen" that "comes alive", not the searchlight. Rewritten more conventionally:

"A new day, way beyond the searchlight, comes alive".

You get the image of a prison just before dawn, with the searchlight still playing (in case there are escapees, presumably).
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 22:06

Hi all,
Far Country, Discovery, Holy. He has amazing vocals. He really should give singing another go. Some of the songs nearly bring me to tears, they come from the heart and are not only a media grab or product, Mike bashers...find another hobby, he won't resort to even acknowledge your insults, after all he has had a lot worse!
Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 06:30

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 05 2009, 22:06)
Hi all,
Far Country, Discovery, Holy. He has amazing vocals. He really should give singing another go. Some of the songs nearly bring me to tears, they come from the heart and are not only a media grab or product, Mike bashers...find another hobby, he won't resort to even acknowledge your insults, after all he has had a lot worse!
Cheers, Deb

Yes, he has amazing vocalists, hasn't he?
Actually, I think good lyrics in pop/rock is a rare thing and most of my favorite records have crap lyrics and it doesn't bother me at all. Mike Oldfield doesn't pretend to be one of the great poets of our time, and I thought his approach to rock/pop was refreshing therefore.

Talking of Mike's own vocals, I'd rather hear him developing the style he had on Heaven's Open than doing what he did in the 90s, but that's just me. He had a great voice!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2009, 15:07

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 06 2009, 06:30)
Yes, he has amazing vocalists, hasn't he?

Talking of Mike's own vocals, I'd rather hear him developing the style he had on Heaven's Open than doing what he did in the 90s, but that's just me. He had a great voice!

The vocalists have been hit & miss, for me. While most of the females sounded great, most of the males didn't work for me - a little too growly-rock for my taste.

I think Mike's voice was fine on Heaven's Open, if a bit strained at times. I do like several HO songs quite a lot, but I'd rather hear his folky singing, a la "On Horseback".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 15 2009, 15:18

Quote (Sweetpea @ Jan. 15 2009, 15:07)
The vocalists have been hit & miss, for me. While most of the females sounded great, most of the males didn't work for me - a little too growly-rock for my taste.

I think Earth Moving excels in its choice of annoying-as-all-hell singers. The vocals on Holy, Innocent,Runaway Son, Blue Night and See the Light range from ok to excellent (Adrian Belew!!;), but the rest? Ecch! Hostage? Blargh. I HATE that kind of singing. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably pass off the song as slightly cheesy but okay, but THAT? Erk. The singing on the title track makes me wince! Like the singer is giving birth, or something.

On the topic of Mike himself singing, his approach on Heaven's Open is one aspect that makes me like those songs so damn much: he cares a lot about not being bad, but doesn't care about being GOOD. His technique barely works, but it's the attitude and expression that matter. It goes over the top at times, but to me that's the point! I reaffirm that: using Heaven as a metaphor to leaving Virgin, and the way it's sung and played, is beyond priceless. When you translate "LET THAT BLUE SKYYY IIIIIIIIIN!!" to "I'M OUTTA HERE, BITCH!", it makes a whole lot of sense. It's delightful.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2009, 15:30

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 15 2009, 15:18)
It goes over the top at times, but to me that's the point! I reaffirm that: using Heaven as a metaphor to leaving Virgin, and the way it's sung and played, is beyond priceless. When you translate "LET THAT BLUE SKYYY IIIIIIIIIN!!" to "I'M OUTTA HERE, BITCH!", it makes a whole lot of sense. It's delightful.

*clap clap* The last bit made me laugh, Sir M.

I believe one of the things that elevates Heaven's Open is the lyrics. I'm not saying it's poetry but, in realizing the motivation behind them, they certainly pack a punch.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 03:40

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 03 2009, 19:22)
I think the lyrics of "Foreign Affair" really work along with the music. They make me think of luxury, cocaine and repressed feelings. An unintentional masterpiece I guess. Apart from that I think "Crime of Passion" has a good lyric, although an uncharact

:cool: foreign affair makes me think of an exotic expensive resort in the virgin islands, sipping margeritas in the balmy night air and watching a beautiful sunset with a secret amor!   deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 07:24

Fuuny you should say that.I got Crises shortly before my 9th birthday (Xmas 1983)and it always had that exotic feel.Mind you i wouldn't have known a margrrita if it bit me on the behind at that age.
 Makes me think of a beach and warm seas.very visual peice.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 12:39

"The Deep Sound" from 5MO had good lyrics. Fine singer too.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
15 replies since Jan. 03 2009, 10:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net