Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: ENO'S influence.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 08:55

I'm slow off the mark, but I finally got the revelation that ALL my favourite tracks from the big artists had Eno's contribution. His influence was far more significant than I realized. Been watching Brian Eno: Hits, Classics and Tracks (on iPlayer) and there they were; - "Once in a Lifetime" - "Low" - "Joshua Tree" - "Viva la Vida" - "Virginia Plain"...

If ever the sentiments "Wind Beneath my Wings" applied to anyone in the music business then it's got to be him. He stayed in the background, didn't take the limelight, but what a strength and talent! I'm also understanding the connection that for me, as he moved away from some of these bands (or before he arrived), my interest in their work waned or hadn't even started - like with U2 and Talking Heads and Coldplay.

I''ve been as much a fan of Brian Eno without even knowing it.

His birthday is 15 May - same as Mike's :cool:.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 10:58

Have you heard the Philip Glass "symphonies" for Low & Hereos,Wiga? Well worth a listen.I agree though Eno`s a great collaborator,definetly brings out the best in people.A lot of U2 fans hated Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire at first.But whether you`re a fan of their music or not,he undoutably took them to a whole new level with his work on those albums.Similarly with Talking Heads I suppose..Coldplay I`m not so sure on,I think I still prefer their earlier albums.Although in fairness I hav`nt listened to Viva La Vida that much to get into it.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 12:30

Dirk - thanks, no, I'm not familiar with Philip Glass "symphonies". Have just briefly checked them out on YouTube, and so far not quite understanding their link to "Low" and "Heroes" - musically.

"Heroes" and "Low" are in my top three Bowie albums, as are " Unforgettable Fire" and "Joshua Tree", - ( I also like U2's earlier stuff). With Roxy Music I particularly like "Street Life" and I understand Eno left the band around then - maybe his style still influenced the song.

I guess it's just good to know that he was the source of the magic in these compositions that has always appealed to me. I think I need to look into his solo work next, though I suspect he works best as a collaborator.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2010, 13:14

The links to Low & Hereos are a little tenuos if I remember rightly.I had them out the library years ago though,and really enjoyed them.Favourite Bowie albums for me are Lodger & Scary Monsters period,but I pretty much like most of them.Roxy Music I`d agree with,they lost a lot when Eno left imo.

There`s an awful lot of Brian Eno`s solo stuff out there,difficult to say which ones to go for as I`m only familiar with a small percentage of it.Again his two albums with both David Bryne & Harold Budd are among my favourites so you`re looking at collaborative efforts again.Another Green World is a nice early one with lots of different styles on it songs/instrumentals/ambient etc.Robert Fripp as well some good stuff with him.If you`re looking for more of a song based album though,I`d certainly recommend his last one with David Bryne.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 05:41

First track on Peter Gabriel`s forthcoming album of cover versions (Scratch My Back out in a couple of weeks) ...Heroes by David Bowie.I should warn you though Wiga there`s a Paul Simon song on there as well...No Roy Orbison though   ;) Getting some very mixed reviews over on Amazon Is`nt it funny how all those people have already heard it.....I quite like it myself.

Here`s one of my favourite ever Eno songs  St.Elmo`s Fire Kind of a kooky "Koyannisquatsi for country folk" video to go with it,but it works quite well I think.Amazing guitar playing from Robert Fripp.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 06:10

Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 02 2010, 05:41)
I should warn you though Wiga there`s a Paul Simon song on there as well...No Roy Orbison though   ;)

:D  Hey Dirk, you'll be gettiing Ugo on my case again.

He's doing an album on 'covers' is he - interesting. Peter Gabriel can't do much wrong in my eyes - (or "in your eyes").

Thanks for the Eno prompts - I'm on a mission...

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 06:28

I've just checked out Amazon - they have a sample of each track. VERY nice I must say - how refreshing he's back.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 06:55

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 31 2010, 08:55)
If ever the sentiments "Wind Beneath my Wings" applied to anyone in the music business

Wiga, I suspect you're making a subtle joke - fess up! After all, it's well known that Eno makes you burp!  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:19

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 02 2010, 06:55)
Quote (wiga @ Jan. 31 2010, 08:55)
If ever the sentiments "Wind Beneath my Wings" applied to anyone in the music business

Wiga, I suspect you're making a subtle joke - fess up! After all, it's well known that Eno makes you burp!  :D

Hey, no joking - I am sincere. Eno has been the wind beneath many wings of the mega artists. I was slow but fin-al-ly he gets my credit for that.

"Eno makes you burp" - what's that about?   :O

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:31

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 02 2010, 07:19)
"Eno makes you burp" - what's that about?   :O

I don't know whether you can get it in your country, but in Australia there's a brand of anti-heartburn health salts called Eno. (Trade slogan: "Eno makes peace with your stomach!;) It's been around at least since the sixties!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:34

Click on this link for Eno:

http://www.gsk.com.au/product....view=38

It's made by GlaxoSmithKline, so it should be available in countries beside Australia. According to Google, it's at least available in Canada.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:38

:laugh:  Awww - good one nightspore! You're on good form this morning - or is it evening in Australia?

No, we don't have "Eno" here - we have Alkezelsa to make you burp  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2010, 07:40

It's evening, Wiga - and we're clearly online together! Quite romantic,really...  :D
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2010, 14:00

Eno? Your joking right? Gotta be joking. No question, joking.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 07:21

It was bad enough yesterday trying to sit through the trash film, The Lovely Bones, but using "Music for Airports" in the opening credits - that was sacrilege! I don't want to associate Eno's best work with banal evil, and I can understand how some may have felt similarly about TB used for The Exorcist.  

I knew the 14 year girl gets murdered and narrates the film, but I thought it was over and done with quick, so we could concentrate on catching the bastard - but no such luck. It was depressingly excruciating, and at the part where she lured into his den, 30 minutes in, I got up and went to watch Soloman Kane in the next cinema. Now that's a film of mass murder, blood and guts, good conquering evil, and I had no problem sitting through that at all :/ .

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 09:29

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 02 2010, 12:34)
Click on this link for Eno:

http://www.gsk.com.au/product....view=38

It's made by GlaxoSmithKline, so it should be available in countries beside Australia. According to Google, it's at least available in Canada.

...and in Brazil they do sell it as well!

Seriously...there are some artists/bands that have benefited with Brian Eno as a producer(Bowie,Talking Heads),while some other nope (Coldplay)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 19:27

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 22 2010, 09:29)
It's made by GlaxoSmithKline, so it should be available in countries beside Australia. According to Google, it's at least available in Canada.[/quote]
...and in Brazil they do sell it as well!

Seriously...there are some artists/bands that have benefited with Brian Eno as a producer(Bowie,Talking Heads),while some other nope (Coldplay)

It's a relief to know you'll never be plagued with indigestion, Tati.  :D

As for Coldplay, the consensus I believe is that Coldplay benefited vastly from Eno - but I actually agree with you; I think X and Y is just as good as Viva La Vita and in many ways better.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 21:12

Quote (wiga @ Feb. 22 2010, 07:21)
It was bad enough yesterday trying to sit through the trash film, The Lovely Bones, but using "Music for Airports" in the opening credits - that was sacrilege! I don't want to associate Eno's best work with banal evil, and I can understand how some may have felt similarly about TB used for The Exorcist.  

I knew the 14 year girl gets murdered and narrates the film, but I thought it was over and done with quick, so we could concentrate on catching the bastard - but no such luck. It was depressingly excruciating, and at the part where she lured into his den, 30 minutes in, I got up and went to watch Soloman Kane in the next cinema. Now that's a film of mass murder, blood and guts, good conquering evil, and I had no problem sitting through that at all :/ .

Just reading through the plot synopsis on Wikipedia convinces me that you went to watch the wrong film, Wiga. That film is not a trashy violence film, but something entirely different. And Brian Eno himself was responsible for the soundtrack, so everything has his endorsement.

I may not be truly grasping the problem here, but when one goes to watch Blade Runner, he doesn't go expecting to see Harrison Ford with a fedora hat and a whip.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2010, 00:33

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 23 2010, 21:12)
That film is not a trashy violence film, but something entirely different. And Brian Eno himself was responsible for the soundtrack, so everything has his endorsement.

It does sound a film to avoid, though, with its endless market research to find ways of getting maximum $ out of the "target audience" (which apparently kept getting changed), and hackneyed use of old themes (the dead person who later, a la The Sixth Sense, doesn't realise she is dead), etc.

Maybe I'm doing a film I haven't seen an injustice, but I suspect more pleasure is to be had staying at home and watching Mike's video of "Song of the Boatman" on youtube.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2010, 04:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 23 2010, 21:12)
Quote (wiga @ Feb. 22 2010, 07:21)

Just reading through the plot synopsis on Wikipedia convinces me that you went to watch the wrong film, Wiga. That film is not a trashy violence film, but something entirely different. And Brian Eno himself was responsible for the soundtrack, so everything has his endorsement.

I may not be truly grasping the problem here, but when one goes to watch Blade Runner, he doesn't go expecting to see Harrison Ford with a fedora hat and a whip.

Well, when I went in there I kind of knew what the film was about, but thought I'd give it a go, bearing in mind it's a parents worst nightmare and I have three daughters! It has a 12 rating, and there is no graphic violence as such, but the scene in the makeshift dungeon was traumatic and lingered far too long (for a 12). It felt gratuitous - it invites you in real close, but I lost faith in the integrity of the film, and  I'm not sure it could make it's mind up what kind of a film it was. Visually the film was very beautiful - like a 1970s period drama, and it wasn't thrown together, but it felt pretentious and I wasn't prepared to get swept along with the hollywood formula. That's what was trashy about it.

It WAS the wrong film, and I'd no idea Eno was doing the soundtrack; - there are four pieces from his original works on there - "Music for Airports" - "Big Ship" -"Baby's on fire" - "Driving me Backwards," I've since found out. You see, again, he keeps himself hidden or I'm slow off the mark!

"Music for Airports" has always been like a relaxation tape (and guarenteed to lower my pulse rate)  -  but slightly distorted now, or contaminated by The Lovely Bones.

--------------
Profile PM 
20 replies since Jan. 31 2010, 08:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net